Running Black & White 2 on Windows 10

Yeah they should all run and work fine.

I have found that if I set the priority to high, when I am switching the affinity, that the missing blocks go away.  I just wish I could get it to stop crashing when I save.

I installed the latest fan patch hoping that it would fix the issues i have. The game crashes  randomly when i'm in game or sometimes it doesn't even let me load the saved file. It just stops working and crashes. can anyone help me with this problem :(

Hi, created an account to post this. I've been trying to get BW2 working for about 3 days now with no luck.

The error message I've been getting is "Could not create the 3D device" as soon as the game is launched.
Event viewer log :

Faulting application name: white.exe, version: 1.2.0.0, time stamp: 0x43e21f5f
Faulting module name: white.exe, version: 1.2.0.0, time stamp: 0x43e21f5f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x001c5063
Faulting process ID: 0x219c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d28ab644b0fe7f
Faulting application path: C:\Games\BlackWhite2\white.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Games\BlackWhite2\white.exe
Report ID: 889a1a27-2f3e-4cc2-b044-19e34cb3501e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
I have tried:
Two different (downloaded) versions of the game
Patches 1.1, 1.2, and fan patch 1.3
Three different fixed executables
Updating my graphics driver
Disabling unnecessary Human Interface Devices (It killed an old game of mine once so I always try it now)
Creating an XP virtual machine and using all of the above
Various compatibility modes + resolution settings + core affinity + priority + run as admin
Force-installing dx9

My system specs are:

OS  : Win10 Home edition 10.0.14393
CPU : Intel core i3-6100 @ 3.7GHz, 2 cores 4 logical
RAM: 8GB
GFX: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB)

Interestingly, I get exactly the same error in the virtual machine as well.. No idea how that works. I've ordered a physical copy (I had one but lost the disk before) to see if I can use that to fix it, but am hoping someone here can help me!

EDIT:

The EA debugging program that is available from the disk seems to think that I have no graphics ram, working to resolve this now.

Does anyone mind updating the PCGamingWiki: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Black_%26_White_2

I don't personally have time, but it'd be a great help for people trying to find information about Black & White 2.

Can't download the patches for BW 2 and BotG. Dunno if it's my browser or my PC blocking it. It tells me that these programms might change my browserstartup and may cause damage to my pc :/ I'm pretty sure your files won't, but any solution ?
One of my friends can't download either... We're borth using Chrome. (It worked with BW 1 patches though o-O)

Hmm, I don't receive any of those error messages when I download it using Chrome. Is there no way to just ignore them?

IgWutwI.png

Handsome Matt said:
Hmm, I don't receive any of those error messages when I download it using Chrome. Is there no way to just ignore them?

IgWutwI.png

Don't know how to in Chrome, but I found a friend who was able to download and send me via Skype. Still strange that a few users seem to have problems downloading.

Just wanted to say that I had the same problem on Chrome and couldn't bypass it. Ended up downloading on Internet Explorer  :laugh:
My game would boot up to the start screen but as soon as I pressed play, it'd disappear and do nothing. The patches made it work. Thanks  :D

The game launches, I have no graphical bugs when the core affinity is set to 2, but it occasionally crashes, sometimes when saving, sometimes when doing some action. Is there a fix for this?

ChubbyHamster said:
The game launches, I have no graphical bugs when the core affinity is set to 2, but it occasionally crashes, sometimes when saving, sometimes when doing some action. Is there a fix for this?

No idea what the occasional crashes some people get are about. As I usually say, if you can get me crash dumps I could probably fix it.

Handsome Matt said:
No idea what the occasional crashes some people get are about. As I usually say, if you can get me crash dumps I could probably fix it.

Sorry I need to ask, but how do I get the crash dumps? I can't find them in the game files

EDIT:

Not entirely sure if this is what you're looking for to fix the crashes, but here's a DMP file from white.exe when it crashed as I tried to load a save:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/obalj0jxjxtxxgd/white.DMP

That DMP file is perfect, thank you - I'll look at it over the weekend when I have a chance :)

You ran out of memory it seems, the game failed to allocate memory whilst loading a model. What are your specs? How much RAM do you have and how much stuff are you running in the background?

Handsome Matt said:
You ran out of memory it seems, the game failed to allocate memory whilst loading a model. What are your specs? How much RAM do you have and how much stuff are you running in the background?

CPU: AMD FX-4300 (Quad Core, but I run the game with affinity set to use 2 cores to prevent the graphics bugging out)
GPU: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
Core Clock: 300MHz | Memory Clock: 301MHz
RAM: 8GB (DDR3)
Motherboard: 760GM-P23 (FX)

When I'm playing Black & White 2, the only other 2 programs that I open are Discord & Steam. I haven't added the game to steam as a non-steam game either.

Sidenotes:
- I installed both official patches plus the fan patch in the correct order
- The game ran without problems on my PC when it was Windows 7

EDIT:

I ended the steam and discord processes but I still ended up having the game crash.

Other things I should point out:
- The game installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Lionhead Studios\Black & White 2 (savegame files are in my documents). Basically, its installed to the default place.
- I'm not running any compatibility settings and I'm not running as Admin
- The problem still happens after a completely fresh re-install of the game via disc.

If you can suggest anything else as a viable solution, let me know.

EDIT:

Here are the apps, background processes, and windows processes (screenshots):

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/325290624582680581/326789023634948100/unknown.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/325290624582680581/326789136491216926/unknown.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/325290624582680581/326789311922044928/unknown.png

It is spread across 3 screenshots so I can show all the processes without the need for resizing to fit all 3 screenshots into 1 image.

Yes, Discord is running, but like I said, Black & White 2 crashes even if the app isn't running.

ChubbyHamster said:
Other things I should point out:
- The game installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Lionhead Studios\Black & White 2 (savegame files are in my documents). Basically, its installed to the default place.
- I'm not running any compatibility settings and I'm not running as Admin
- The problem still happens after a completely fresh re-install of the game via disc.

If you can suggest anything else as a viable solution, let me know.

EDIT:
Here are the apps, background processes, and windows processes (screenshots):

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/325290624582680581/326789023634948100/unknown.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/325290624582680581/326789136491216926/unknown.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/325290624582680581/326789311922044928/unknown.png

It is spread across 3 screenshots so I can show all the processes without the need for resizing to fit all 3 screenshots into 1 image.

Yes, Discord is running, but like I said, Black & White 2 crashes even if the app isn't running.
same problem here ! Through the decades i played in BnW and BnW 2 without any problems, but now game just randomly crashes and graphic bugs :c :suspect

Is there a specific OS version these problems started on? I remember playing the game fine on 7, could this be an issue introduced in 8 or 10?

Let me know if you manage to play the game fine and what OS version you're using.

I also remember it running fine on Windows 7, without any patches. Once I upgraded my PC to Windows 10 though, I started having this problem. I could imagine that I'd have the exact same situation on Windows 10 if SafeDisc support wasn't removed, but I could be wrong. I also get this exact same problem when I try using a fixed exe instead of simply installing the patch, though I'm guessing they work similarly anyways.

My game is a DVD disc by the way, so maybe the patch just doesn't work with it.

ChubbyHamster said:
I also remember it running fine on Windows 7, without any patches. Once I upgraded my PC to Windows 10 though, I started having this problem. I could imagine that I'd have the exact same situation on Windows 10 if SafeDisc support wasn't removed, but I could be wrong. I also get this exact same problem when I try using a fixed exe instead of simply installing the patch, though I'm guessing they work similarly anyways.

My game is a DVD disc by the way, so maybe the patch just doesn't work with it.

Hmm perhaps removing the SafeDisc DRM protection causes the crashes? I think we need to try the patch and/or a NoCD crack on Windows 7.

With the patch I just ran the original game exe through a standard SafeDisc remover and then based my work on top of that, it might of not worked fully.

Back