Running Black & White on Windows 10

so my google-fu has thus par proven insufficient to answer my questions and i thus come to this fine bastion of answers: i am running Windows 7 64 bit. i install Black & White, follow the cowgod instructions, and enjoy several hours of gameplay with no issues. i recall that there were patches, and go googling, and find this site and its patches. i grab 1.1, 1.2 and 1.43. patches 1.1 and 1.2 will not install - they both tell me that "game must be installed" to work. google-fu to locate and fix this problem turns up absolutely nothing like it. i decide to move on and check the info for 1.43, and it tells me "go ahead, i'm the only patch you need!", so i install it (with the whole run as admin thing). i go to play my game, and poof. the game loads up to the point of the first loading screen and promptly crashes to desktop, with an "appcrash" error that reads as follows:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: runblack.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.1
Application Timestamp: 3d0ecf82
Fault Module Name: runblack.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.1
Fault Module Timestamp: 3d0ecf82
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0016e1fe
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: 6373
Additional Information 2: 6373d858c6e9abe3c415737a46e83629
Additional Information 3: 4590
Additional Information 4: 45901af7c0ccc24e07651d7082ca68f7

i have noted the application version does not seem to change, even when the in-game screen, before it crashes, does read version 1.43.
any help would be very much appreciated to get the game working with the patch, so that i can have the game fixes and extra goodies. if not, was there a proper uninstaller for just the 1.43 patch so i can at least go back to my functional base game, or do i need to uninstall/reinstall the entire base game?

I can't find anything too obvious from the problem signature unfortunately. This is most likely caused by 1.1 and 1.2 not being installed, but I am unsure why this causes an issue.

The best way to fix it is to uninstall and everything and make sure you install everything as admin.
Or I have some other things we could try if you join the Discord and have some patience. 😅

i had to reinstall everything anyway to get the game to work again since there's no uninstall for your patch, and i did do it all as Run As Admin. my base game works fine again, and the 1.1 & 1.2 patches still say they cannot install because Black & White must be installed ><. (and yes, i have the game to a folder that doesnt contain special characters in deference to the patches' idiosyncracies) i will join the Discord and hopefully catch you at some point. i have all the patience in the world for one of my favorite games :D

Hi, I can't install Black & White on Windows 10.

This guide worked perfectly when I installed B&W on a previous laptop. But today when I tryed install the game on a new one everything was good until I started installing Patch 1.1 - I run it as administrator, but despite this fact I got a message (which you can see in the picture I attached), that I don't have a permission to copy IKernel to desired location. I got the same message when I tried to install Patch 1.2 Only FunPatch works normal, but still I can't run the game without patches. I was trying change permissions but with no effect so far. Than I tried to uninstall B&W with the game uninstaller but I got the same message. All in all, I just deleted all the programme files and all registry values. I tried to install the game one more time and I got the same messege.

I don't know how is it possible that I"m not allowed to install the game on my laptop. I don't know what's the problem.

I'd be very grateful for help!

Attachments

• B&W.PNG
    B&W.PNG
    80.2 KB · Views: 13
Hi, I can't install Black & White on Windows 10.

This guide worked perfectly when I installed B&W on a previous laptop. But today when I tryed install the game on a new one everything was good until I started installing Patch 1.1 - I run it as administrator, but despite this fact I got a message (which you can see in the picture I attached), that I don't have a permission to copy IKernel to desired location. I got the same message when I tried to install Patch 1.2 Only FunPatch works normal, but still I can't run the game without patches. I was trying change permissions but with no effect so far. Than I tried to uninstall B&W with the game uninstaller but I got the same message. All in all, I just deleted all the programme files and all registry values. I tried to install the game one more time and I got the same messege.

I don't know how is it possible that I"m not allowed to install the game on my laptop. I don't know what's the problem.

I'd be very grateful for help!
I am having the exact same problem with both the two add-ons and the patches for the game. I have no idea why. If you can figure out what to do, I'd appreciate it if you let me know!

If you are having problems with the game resolution not working correctly, it is a Windows scaling issue that can easily be solved and works 100% of the time.

First make sure you're using the most up-to-date version of the runblack.exe
Next, right-click on the runblack.exe you use to run the game and click on "Properties".
Click on the "Compatibility" tab at the top and near the bottom you'll click on an option named "Change high DPI settings"
In the new window that pops up check the box that says "Override high DPI scaling behavior." and MAKE SURE the box below it is set to "APPLICATION".

Then click "OK" and then "Apply" and you are done. Problem solved. I tested it and it worked on any scaling I had it set to.

I am having the exact same problem with both the two add-ons and the patches for the game. I have no idea why. If you can figure out what to do, I'd appreciate it if you let me know!
Hi, I have succesfully run the game. To be honest I don't actually know how I managed to do this.

As I wrote, I was trying to change permissions but with no effects. I also gave up but finally, I restarted my laptop and surprisingly it became possible to install the patches. I have no idea what's the key. I know that the problem might be connected with read-only folders on Win10. I truly recommand you a discord server of this forum. You can join it by clicking on Discord button at the top of this site. There is help section where you can get more peaces of advice.

Good luck and don't give up! You're a god ;)

For anyone having problems with installing the 1.1 and 1.2 patches, try this

I know this is like 4000 years old but I tried googling the answer myself today, and this was the first forum that brings it up. So just for Black and White players sakes I will post the real solution.

As someone said there is some weird coding error when you select the directory for the patch to take place. It seems to involve the patch not recognizing SPACES!!! in folder names.

In order to get around that, copy the whole entire "Black & White: game directory to a new folder, easiest is in the main directory, renamde the folder anything you want but keep it short and sweet, and remember, no spaces. Then open the patch and manually select the folder we just created, the patch will actually work. When you are all done, copy your new patched folder back to its original location and make sure it keeps the original name, "Black & White".

The game worked perfectly for me after that. The only thing bugging me is that if I put the game on a 2k resolution, it shows me borders for some reason and I can't see the whole game as it should be seen. :( Guess I'll play at 1080p. Unless anyone has an idea about how to fix the problem.

For anyone having problems with installing the 1.1 and 1.2 patches, try this

The game worked perfectly for me after that. The only thing bugging me is that if I put the game on a 2k resolution, it shows me borders for some reason and I can't see the whole game as it should be seen. :( Guess I'll play at 1080p. Unless anyone has an idea about how to fix the problem.
I am having this same issue. How do you "manually" run the patches to install into the newly created "non-space" folder? The patch only gives me the option to choose the install language...then it hits the error.

I am having this same issue. How do you "manually" run the patches to install into the newly created "non-space" folder? The patch only gives me the option to choose the install language...then it hits the error.
You COPY (not cut) the contents of the original folder into something like C:/blabla and then you run the patches and change the directory to "blabla". Install all patches and then copy back and overwrite into the original folder from "blabla".

You COPY (not cut) the contents of the original folder into something like C:/blabla and then you run the patches and change the directory to "blabla". Install all patches and then copy back and overwrite into the original folder from "blabla".
I have created a copy in a "non-space" folder, but when I run the patch, it only gives me the option to choose the install language. It does not give me the opportunity to change the install folder.

I have created a copy in a "non-space" folder, but when I run the patch, it only gives me the option to choose the install language. It does not give me the opportunity to change the install folder.
Do you have the original files in the original install folder? I only had the problem you described when I moved the original files instead of copying.

Nouvelle image bitmap.jpg
Hello, so I've followed all steps to install the game, its my second try because of this error... I get this message every time i try to run any patch, 1.10, 1.20, addons... Uninstaller and Setup give the same error message. Once I delete every keys with REGEDIT I can launch SETUP.EXE again and reinstall the game, like I just did. I read some of the thread above, for simplification this time I made a c:\BLACKWHITE folder to install the game. Same issue occured, as you can see. What could I try, I'm running out of ideas...

Just found this thread and it seems it's not only me who have problems. I have an old PC with Windows XP and an original CD, patch 1.2 with Safedisc DRM works perfectly and I've played through story mode twice. I thought I could try multiplayer mode but my other PC is a modern one with Windows 10. It still has an optical drive so I've put the disc in, the game and patch 1.2 installed but simply nothing happened when I tried to launch the game. So I've googled and ended up here. Downloaded and installed the unofficial patch, set the resolution to 1080p (that's the max my monitor supports), maximum detail and the game launched. Got the logos, the intro movie, then the loading screen but with no text displayed. After a few seconds the game crashed. I think it's supposed to show the profile creation dialog before the loading screen to create the first profile, as far as I remember from the old PC so this is what most probably cause the problem. I'm going to stick to single player on the old PC for now but any suggestion would be appreciated.
Oh, one more thing: will multiplayer work between patch 1.2 and 1.42? I don't want to ruin the game on the old PC if possible (it can't run the game in large resolution either, 800x600 is just fine, on bigger resolutions framerate drops below 30).

To add to my post: I tried again but this time I've installed the game to the C drive and into a folder that don't have & and () symbols and now it works! There's still no text on the loading screen but the profile creation appeared this time and there's text everywhere else. And what really surprised me, multiplayer works perfectly against the old computer that only has patch 1.2 installed (it's old enough to pass the Safedisc DRM verification). Those who got problems, install the game to C:\bnw and it should patch up and run fine.

Hello, i've installed the 1.10 and the 1.42 Patch, but i cannot install the Patch 1.20
The Computer tells me i have have not the correct version of Black & White to install this Patch and i don't understand whats wrong, i tried the idea with no Space like "Blackwhite" as Folder Name and my Black and White Game is in the C: Directory.
I cannot change the Folder where i want the Patch to install into.
I start everything as Administrator, cleared my registry to install a fresh Version, but nothing helped.
If i try to play the Game without the 1.20 Patch the Game crashes in the loading Sequence with the tooltips after the Intro without any feedback.

Would be nice if anyone could help me.

Hi all! I wish I'd found you all years ago! I've been wanting to play this game again for so long. I followed the instructions and it runs perfectly! Thank you so much for compiling it! Except . . .

The problem is, my game won't save. The autosaves work, but every time I go into the temple, the manual save files disappear. I exited the game and haven't dared check because I'm terrified it didn't actually save.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, has anyone figured out how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I checked. It didn't save :(

Last edited:
Hi all! I wish I'd found you all years ago! I've been wanting to play this game again for so long. I followed the instructions and it runs perfectly! Thank you so much for compiling it! Except . . .

The problem is, my game won't save. The autosaves work, but every time I go into the temple, the manual save files disappear. I exited the game and haven't dared check because I'm terrified it didn't actually save.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, has anyone figured out how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I checked. It didn't save :(
Have you tried running the game as administrator?

Have you tried running the game as administrator?
Hi! Thank you for the response. I had been doing that, but I actually joined the Discord and got it figured out. They suggested install the game outside of the Programs folder and it worked like a charm.

just wanted to say I followed these instructions and everything looks to be working perfectly!! I saw someone else have a save issue which I haven't checked, but hopefully that's not a problem :)

Hello Matt! Your guide on how to get B&W working properly is amazing. One question though... how can I get the game to allow me to load my saves? It brings me back to creature selection no matter what I do. It's not even loading my save from save on exit or autosave after hours of gameplay each time. I'm on windows prof 64 bit.

Back