Running Black & White on Windows 10

Cherry_Rook

New member
Joined
Aug 7, 2019
Messages
1
So this thread is a bit old i know, i followed your guide to installing b&w multiple times (i have the official version on CD). Your patch seems to crash my game after it tries to load the main menu (says lh.exe has stopped working). I tried to get it to work for 4h and then i decided to try a no cd crack with just the base version and that worked instantly. I remembered that i cracked it before on windows 7 even though i have the key and cd thats why i tried it. Any ideas why your patch seems to not work but the no cd one does ? :help
 

Azuras58

New member
Joined
Sep 1, 2019
Messages
2
everytime i use the 1.100/200 patch it says "you dont have the correct version of black and white"
i have windows 10 btw
 

Augury

New member
Joined
Sep 27, 2019
Messages
2
Anybody ever figure out the fix for the resolution not correctly fitting on the screen??? What I mean is what occurred on the last post of the first page. Nobody responded to it so I don't know what to do.

Followed all the instructions exactly. When I run the game in a small enough resolution it does in fact say v1.41 on the bottom right.

-Windows 10.
-Running as Admin.
-No compatibility modes used (although I have tried them all and they don't work of course, but worth a shot).
-All patches installed correctly and were run as Admin.
-Using all four downloadable creatures + the other file you recommended for villagers (also installed as Admin).
-I've tried smaller resolutions but none of them fill the borders of my screen without running off to the bottom-right.
-Changing my computer's resolution to lower-than-native resolution produced no changes to Setup.exe's results in-game.
---1920x1080, 1366x768 and even 800x600 resolutions set as my computer resolution produced said same-results.
---I've tried both windowed mode and standard full-screen.
-IFC22.dll is active in my main file directory.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I have recieved NO errors and even though 1920x1080 runs well off the screen, the quality of the resolution looks just as it should. I also don't have the Creature Isle expansion installed (I won't proceed with that until the base game works, because... reasons).

Hopefully we can get this resolved, Matt. Thanks, buddy. Really appreciate someone's out there up to this day who's helping bring my childhood favorite game back into my life.

 

BrendanatorX

New member
Joined
Nov 6, 2019
Messages
5
Augury said:
Anybody ever figure out the fix for the resolution not correctly fitting on the screen??? What I mean is what occurred on the last post of the first page. Nobody responded to it so I don't know what to do.

Followed all the instructions exactly. When I run the game in a small enough resolution it does in fact say v1.41 on the bottom right.

-Windows 10.
-Running as Admin.
-No compatibility modes used (although I have tried them all and they don't work of course, but worth a shot).
-All patches installed correctly and were run as Admin.
-Using all four downloadable creatures + the other file you recommended for villagers (also installed as Admin).
-I've tried smaller resolutions but none of them fill the borders of my screen without running off to the bottom-right.
-Changing my computer's resolution to lower-than-native resolution produced no changes to Setup.exe's results in-game.
---1920x1080, 1366x768 and even 800x600 resolutions set as my computer resolution produced said same-results.
---I've tried both windowed mode and standard full-screen.
-IFC22.dll is active in my main file directory.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I have recieved NO errors and even though 1920x1080 runs well off the screen, the quality of the resolution looks just as it should. I also don't have the Creature Isle expansion installed (I won't proceed with that until the base game works, because... reasons).

Hopefully we can get this resolved, Matt. Thanks, buddy. Really appreciate someone's out there up to this day who's helping bring my childhood favorite game back into my life.

You might want to check in regedit for the hkey_user/lionhead/black&white settings and double check that your resolution is set in there correctly. The setup.exe file from fan patch does have a resolution picker and I don't know why it wouldn't do this for you.. but it might point you in the right direction.
However even if you do manage to fix your resolution, it's probably going to end up breaking and getting corrupt saves and crashing every time you want to save by land 3 or 4 if you're lucky.
Good luck though
 

angrygreek

New member
Joined
Nov 26, 2019
Messages
5
I have a 1440p monitor. If I try to set the game to 1440p it crashes on startup.

If I try 4k it crashes on startup.

If I set it 1080p it works.

Why can't I go higher than 1080p?
 

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Aug 28, 2005
Messages
199
angrygreek said:
I have a 1440p monitor. If I try to set the game to 1440p it crashes on startup.

If I try 4k it crashes on startup.

If I set it 1080p it works.

Why can't I go higher than 1080p?

DirectX bug, I have uploaded a fixed version now, you can download it from here: https://www.bwfiles.com/downloads/files/BWFanPatchInstaller.exe
 

RealSmooth

New member
Joined
Dec 7, 2019
Messages
2
Autosave and save features aren't working.
autosaves at the beginning of the lands (the first creature stone on land one, and the temple being built on land 2) and then sometime into the game will say "LH has stopped working" forcing it to close and then when I reload the game I'm taken straight back to the start of the level
any help would be wicked
 

RealSmooth

New member
Joined
Dec 7, 2019
Messages
2
RealSmooth said:
Autosave and save features aren't working.
autosaves at the beginning of the lands (the first creature stone on land one, and the temple being built on land 2) and then sometime into the game will say "LH has stopped working" forcing it to close and then when I reload the game I'm taken straight back to the start of the level
any help would be wicked

now it's just taken me right back to the start to the cutscene of the kid drowning :help
 

Lawrian

New member
Joined
Jan 13, 2020
Messages
1
Hi! I'm super sorry if someone already asked this! I may have missed it in the thread. I've been trying to follow this post exactly but I've been runing into some problems (Windows 10). I managed to delete the registry keys, install the game, the addons, and the first patch wthout issue. However when I get to the second patch it all goes wrong.

I click run as admin but it comes up with an error essage saying this:

"An installation support file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\engine\6\Intel 32\ctor.dll'
could not be installed.
Access is denied"


I dont really know how to give it more access than running it as admin? I decided to see if I could skip patch 2 and go straight to the fan patch but that didn't work correctly either. I clicked run as admin on the fan patch and it has an error message saying:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

Again I dont know how to give it any more permission than i'm already giving it so I'm at a loss. I'm using the only user account on this laptop and am just running the ISO and patches from a folder on the desktop. I don't know what I'm doing wrong :( Please help if you can, I've been wanting to replay this game for years but I can never figure out how to make it work again. Thank you so much for your time!

(also so sorry I didnt add images. I'm stupid and couldnt figure out how)
 

browncoat1984

New member
Joined
Jan 28, 2020
Messages
1
So I am trying to run B & W on windows 10, I got B&W 1 working but I'm trying to install Creature Isle and when I try to launch the .exe it acts like it launches then gives a black screen and back to desktop, is there something special I need to do to get the expansion to work?
 

BardBun

New member
Joined
Feb 28, 2020
Messages
18
Handsome Matt said:
DirectX bug, I have uploaded a fixed version now, you can download it from here: https://www.bwfiles.com/downloads/files/BWFanPatchInstaller.exe
Can you update it here too: https://www.bwfiles.com/files/file.php?id=1418 ?

Because that one is still the old 1.41 with the resolution bug that crashes the game and many people won't search through the forums to find a pretty hidden but amazing 1.42 version.
Almost like trying to find all 9 Sheep without looking up their locations.
 

blackf0x_pt

New member
Joined
Mar 7, 2020
Messages
1
Hi guys, im here because i have the same desire of you, of playing this in our modern machines.

So i tried to follow up the guidelines of First Page, but i faced with several problems.

  • I havent the game, so i have to downloaded by torrent. I installed, all seems good.
  • I cant install the 1.1 and 1.2 patch, its says " an installation support file could not be installed catastrophic failure "
  • so i skip that, i tried to install the 1.4 fan patch, all seems work, i setup the game, and run it, but it crashs on loading screen, just after the intro. Just shutdown the game.

Anyone know, if its because a downloaded version? Or its because i dont have the 1.1 and 1.2 official patches installed?

Thank you


edit: I REINSTALLED, AND SEEMS WORKING NOW!!!
 

Doomsiren

New member
Joined
Mar 8, 2020
Messages
1
First off thanks for the patch. The game is up and running!

I'm missing a custom option in the setup.exe though. Does the maximum detail option in the fan patch cover the additional options provided by the game's original setup.exe? I need to be pretty close to the ground with the camera to see animal models and such appear.
 

BardBun

New member
Joined
Feb 28, 2020
Messages
18
Doomsiren said:
First off thanks for the patch. The game is up and running!

I'm missing a custom option in the setup.exe though. Does the maximum detail option in the fan patch cover the additional options provided by the game's original setup.exe? I need to be pretty close to the ground with the camera to see animal models and such appear.
Download the 1.42 version from this post:
https://www.bwfiles.com/forum/index.php?topic=7916.msg56218#msg56218

Also, you shouldn't change anything in any of the setups other than the resolution you want to have.
On default the patch will set everything to max and if you try and change things manually you might get the bug that sets the drawing distance short.
 

Zergal

New member
Joined
Apr 1, 2020
Messages
1
I have been facing a problem I don't believe has been posted here before.

For context, I have been trying to install B&W for the past couple days. I had initially installed the game before I knew about this guide, and once I knew about it I uninstalled the game (via the search tool on file explorer, and later the control panel's "uninstall/change a program" tool, and finally using RevoUninstaller) and attempted to reinstall. When trying to reinstall the game, the automenu screen showed that the game was still installed. When I hit the uninstall button, it showed me an error saying, "An installation support file could not be installed. Catastrophic failure". After deleting all the registry keys the guide said to I could find ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black and White Clan Patch", "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black and White Patch", and "HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2309910519-2795697514-4011825439-1000\Software\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black & White" were not found, however a different, yet similar looking key in the "HKEY_USERS" category was found, which I deleted), the installation seemed to be working smoothly.


My current problems: Whilst all the creature addons you recommended successfully installed, the Villager Banter addon (as well as the 1.1 and 1.2 patches) give me the same "catastrophic failure" error like before. I don't know what to do from here. I thought about deleting the registry keys containing "InstallShield", but I don't know much about the registry and, seeing as I don't know much about computers, I'd rather not take the chance without guidance first.

However, this isn't my main problem. Since the villager banter mod is simply an add-on, and the 1.42 patch still worked, I technically don't have a issue that stops me from playing the game. But, for whatever reason, after the Lionhead and EA logos pop up and the little preview/video (w/e it is) plays through, the game crashes about ~1-5 seconds after the first loading screen begins. No error is shown, the game just closes. I have tried running the game through runblack.exe and automenu.exe, and with the configuration of fullscreen and windowed mode, all with my native resolution of 1920x1080 with apps set to run as administrator and all users given full control over changing/modifying the app.

I have no idea what could be causing this problem, and I present these two errors in some off-chance that they may be connected or solved together. My apologies if either of these issues have been brought up/solved prior, I admit to have very lightly skimmed through the comments to see if anyone else could have these problems.

cfail.png
 

BardBun

New member
Joined
Feb 28, 2020
Messages
18
To uninstall everything properly I recommend using "RevoUninstaller Portable", it'll get rid of any files and registry entries that could cause problems.


As for the add-ons, sometimes they will give you an error "couldn't find Black & White installation" or something along those lines, in that case just start them again and the second time they will find the directory.
 

DeathProphet

New member
Joined
Apr 27, 2020
Messages
2
Hello Handsome Matt, Hello everyone,
Trying to replay BW game. I have installed a game that i downloaded somewhere. I played well and it was crashing randomly. So I was saving a lot and when i got to the 3rd land and it started to crash when it autosaves or when i save myself with the following error:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program: C:\PROGRA~2\BLACK&~1.GOL\runblack.exe
abnormal program termination

I backed up and tried isnatlling and transfering my creature and stuff and it crashes the same way anyways.

Please help!!! This quarantine will make me insane and i will continue not sleeping over this... :help

Specs: Win 7 x64, GPU 1080 Ti Nvidia GeForce (most recent driver)
 

Jose

New member
Joined
Apr 29, 2020
Messages
1
Zergal said:
I have been facing a problem I don't believe has been posted here before.

For context, I have been trying to install B&W for the past couple days. I had initially installed the game before I knew about this guide, and once I knew about it I uninstalled the game (via the search tool on file explorer, and later the control panel's "uninstall/change a program" tool, and finally using RevoUninstaller) and attempted to reinstall. When trying to reinstall the game, the automenu screen showed that the game was still installed. When I hit the uninstall button, it showed me an error saying, "An installation support file could not be installed. Catastrophic failure". After deleting all the registry keys the guide said to I could find ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black and White Clan Patch", "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black and White Patch", and "HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2309910519-2795697514-4011825439-1000\Software\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black & White" were not found, however a different, yet similar looking key in the "HKEY_USERS" category was found, which I deleted), the installation seemed to be working smoothly.


My current problems: Whilst all the creature addons you recommended successfully installed, the Villager Banter addon (as well as the 1.1 and 1.2 patches) give me the same "catastrophic failure" error like before. I don't know what to do from here. I thought about deleting the registry keys containing "InstallShield", but I don't know much about the registry and, seeing as I don't know much about computers, I'd rather not take the chance without guidance first.

However, this isn't my main problem. Since the villager banter mod is simply an add-on, and the 1.42 patch still worked, I technically don't have a issue that stops me from playing the game. But, for whatever reason, after the Lionhead and EA logos pop up and the little preview/video (w/e it is) plays through, the game crashes about ~1-5 seconds after the first loading screen begins. No error is shown, the game just closes. I have tried running the game through runblack.exe and automenu.exe, and with the configuration of fullscreen and windowed mode, all with my native resolution of 1920x1080 with apps set to run as administrator and all users given full control over changing/modifying the app.

I have no idea what could be causing this problem, and I present these two errors in some off-chance that they may be connected or solved together. My apologies if either of these issues have been brought up/solved prior, I admit to have very lightly skimmed through the comments to see if anyone else could have these problems.

cfail.png


I had the same problem.
Follow the instructions but installing on a FAT32 partition. Use a short parth to install the game, for example E:\BW1
Good Luck!!!
 

leo1-0-0

New member
Joined
Apr 30, 2020
Messages
1
Got the game installed and working how ever got to land 3 and te saves are not working even if i manual save or let it auto save i leave the game load up and back to the start of the level is annoying any clue runing windows 10 other than save problems run like a dream
 
Top