Running Black & White on Windows 10

leo1-0-0 said:
Got the game installed and working how ever got to land 3 and te saves are not working even if i manual save or let it auto save i leave the game load up and back to the start of the level is annoying any clue runing windows 10 other than save problems run like a dream

You have to use Quicksave and Quickload to save and load your game properly.

The autosave and manual save you can forget, they don't work at all.

Here is a new "runblack.exe" based on the 1.42 patch. (replace the file after installing 1.42)
This one was created by the Discord user "ayleia" from the B&W Discord.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/486640404192821278/704336576691568760/runblack.zip

It increases the drawing distance of (almost all) 3D models.
The only thing that still fades out is the land texture.

Still, this change also seems to slightly increase the performance overall on top of the amazing gameplay improvement of not having everything fade out in front of your face.

Apparently Matt is supposed to release an official mod of this on BWFiles soon?
So far no word on it though, so I thought I'd at least share this one made by ayleia, as it is an amazing quality of life improvement!

I installed the game like this:

1. Open the CD-Folder
2. Run Autorun.exe as Administrator
3. Install the game and dont open it.
4. Installed the Add-ons in that order:  the leopard, the mandrill, the gorilla and the horse and the villager banter
5. Run as Admin and install Patch 1.1 and before finishing, it says my game does not have the correct version.
6. Run as Admin and install Patch 1.2 and before finishing, it says my game does not have the correct version.
7. Run as Admin and install FanPatch.
8. Setting the Resolution to 1920x1080.
9. Open the CD-Folder
10. Run Autorun.exe as Administrator
11. Select Start Game.
12. Getting the Intro.
13. When skipping the Intro/Trailer with esc, the game goes to the loading screen with a tip.
14. When it shows the Loadingscreen, the game instantly closes itselfe.

What is my problem here?

Also is there a Discord link to join the community?

I'm facing the same issue like Aaroniskill.
Intro getting played and after that game closes instant. Even when esc or playing the intro completly.

any Ideas?

I'm using WIN 10 64bit

Aaroniskill said:

1. Open the CD-Folder
4. Installed the Add-ons in that order:  the leopard, the mandrill, the gorilla and the horse and the villager banter
5. Run as Admin and install Patch 1.1 and before finishing, it says my game does not have the correct version.
6. Run as Admin and install Patch 1.2 and before finishing, it says my game does not have the correct version.
9. Open the CD-Folder
11. Select Start Game.
12. Getting the Intro.
13. When skipping the Intro/Trailer with esc, the game goes to the loading screen with a tip.

What is my problem here?

You can find the Discord invite link if you go to the main bwfiles.com page and then it's on the left side "Join The Discord", a big blue button.

As for the game:

You have to start "runblack.exe" from the games directory as administrator.

Once you have finished installing the game and copying over the files (also the audio folder for music!!) you can remove the CD from your PC.
All there is to do then is install the patches and then start "runblack.exe" as admin.

Somehow i can only install the Fan Patch and i cant somehow Uninstall the Game? can you help me pls

ElBartscho said:
I'm facing the same issue like Aaroniskill.
Intro getting played and after that game closes instant. Even when esc or playing the intro completly.

any Ideas?

I'm using WIN 10 64bit

Have the cd mounted when you start the game.

LE: I used wincdiso to make the .bin mountable, after that had it mounted on a virtual drive and everything works fine and dandy.

LE2: discord link is in the main page - the big button on the left side

Got it to work nicely but if i want to play on my native resolution 1920x1080 the game is offset, if i set the settings to 1600x900 the game fills the screen properly. 1920x1080 https://imgur.com/uijWLAz

Jackty89 said:
Got it to work nicely but if i want to play on my native resolution 1920x1080 the game is offset, if i set the settings to 1600x900 the game fills the screen properly. 1920x1080 https://imgur.com/uijWLAz
Do you use more than one monitor?

In that case, enter the Windows Display Settings and change the monitor setting to "only use 1".
If you have more than one monitor with the duplicate or extend option it'll mess up the games display.

Hi guys

Just been highlighted to this forum as I dug my old discs out.

Is there and up to date install order with up to date files anywhere so I don't inadvertently download the wrong one? Also will I need the disc again to play after the install process?

I'll also be posing the same question rearding B&W 2 over on a diferent thread.

Cheers

Andy

Hello everyone,
I really hope some one can help me out here. I installed the game and got the Fan patch installed and the game starts fine. However, after the intro, when it is on the first loading screen it will sit there for about 5 to 20 seconds then quits to the desktop with no crash or error report. Any ideas as to what the problem could be?  :help

Will you add support for custom FULLSCREEN resolutions? If I set a resolution like 1440x1080 (to keep UI normal) it runs the game with a black bar off center.

Isophide said:
Will you add support for custom FULLSCREEN resolutions? If I set a resolution like 1440x1080 (to keep UI normal) it runs the game with a black bar off center.

FIXED. I created a custom resolution (2048x1536) in NVIDIA Control Panel and it know works properly.

Aaroniskill said:

1. Open the CD-Folder
9. Open the CD-Folder
11. Select Start Game.
12. Getting the Intro.

What is my problem here?

I had similar issues with Windows 10 64-bit (newly installed OS (not upgraded from previous version), all current OS patching completed).  Turns out the official game patches ABSOLUTELY HATE the Black & White folder naming conventions with special characters.  (Largely due to the fact x86 OS had only one Program Files folder and 64-bit has two with the addition of "Program Files (x86)". Official patches glitch, and secdrv.sys is blocked, which means the game won't patch, and the SafeDisc DRM won't load either.

To fix mine, I uninstalled everything, killed the folders, deleted the InstallShield folder {E51B4CD9-A0A6-4324-B26A-31B3F2DE26CE}  in the x86 directory, removed all registry entries.  I created a folder called "Legacy" in the "C:" drive.  I removed all inheritance as well as all attributes, to include the indexing attribute.  I re-installed the game using the folder I designated as "C:\Legacy\Black-N-White\"

(no & in the name)

The official patches installed as expected and then the FanPatch.  Game now runs where before it would only show the intro, then crash at loading screen.

FanPatch *MUST* have patches 1.10 and 1.20 installed to work.

Hello Handsome Matt, thanks for all the great work you do to improve this game and make it playable for all of us.

I wanted to ask you about a Runtime error I am getting while trying to play the game. I posted it in the technical help forum, but wanted to get your direct attention if possible. The error is probably one you've heard about, but I can't figure out what I need to do to get rid of it and would appreciate any help you can provide.

The error reads "Runtime Error! Program: ...es (x86)\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black & White\runblack.exe abnormal program termination."

Thanks again for all you do to make these games better, and I hope to hear from you when you have the time.

Hi,

I have the original game installled and have done the patches as detailed in this thread. The game boots up and plays fine but I can't adjust the resolution with the config utility. Any suggestions on this? I've tried doing using regedit also without any luck. I only want it to run on 720p really but cant get it to move off what I'm guessing is 600 X 800.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Gerry

so my google-fu has thus par proven insufficient to answer my questions and i thus come to this fine bastion of answers: i am running Windows 7 64 bit. i install Black & White, follow the cowgod instructions, and enjoy several hours of gameplay with no issues. i recall that there were patches, and go googling, and find this site and its patches. i grab 1.1, 1.2 and 1.43. patches 1.1 and 1.2 will not install - they both tell me that "game must be installed" to work. google-fu to locate and fix this problem turns up absolutely nothing like it. i decide to move on and check the info for 1.43, and it tells me "go ahead, i'm the only patch you need!", so i install it (with the whole run as admin thing). i go to play my game, and poof. the game loads up to the point of the first loading screen and promptly crashes to desktop, with an "appcrash" error that reads as follows:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: runblack.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.1
Application Timestamp: 3d0ecf82
Fault Module Name: runblack.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.1
Fault Module Timestamp: 3d0ecf82
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0016e1fe
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: 6373
Additional Information 2: 6373d858c6e9abe3c415737a46e83629
Additional Information 3: 4590
Additional Information 4: 45901af7c0ccc24e07651d7082ca68f7

i have noted the application version does not seem to change, even when the in-game screen, before it crashes, does read version 1.43.
any help would be very much appreciated to get the game working with the patch, so that i can have the game fixes and extra goodies. if not, was there a proper uninstaller for just the 1.43 patch so i can at least go back to my functional base game, or do i need to uninstall/reinstall the entire base game?

Back