Of Gods and Mortals

^ Amen to that. it's as much about your enjoyment as ours, so take your time and enjoy the process :)

Id say Im pretty happy with the progress, enough to warrant that first update.

Instead of typing it out, I took the chance to upload it as an update video instead. It's very short but considering the amount of time it took to work on these few things, it was well worth it. As I said before too, I intend to take it slow and Im glad people support that.  :)

Enjoy!

[youtube]7M0KtbfXmbs[/youtube]

The camera work on the volcano epic is particularly nice. I find the camera is very hard to manage, so good job!

Very nice work. More power to you. I enjoyed this a lot. Keep up the good work. I envy your skills right now :) at least someone has them though!

Oh. My. Gods.

Boy am I glad I popped back around. I can't believe Daxter's back, but boy am I glad he is. Good to see you again, Dax!

And boy do I know what a humbling thing getting older can be, haha. Best of luck, Dax! I'll be watching this with bated breath!

Hello  :)

March 20th 2014

No new progress yet  - however, a few things to mention regarding progress.

- Shield Miracle (WiP)
      - Basic idea is to allow the god to expend mana to shield their occupying town from the player's or other gods miracles that come their direction.
      - Shield Miracle is one of a few minor extras that'll allow them to face off against each other or the player but not be too dumb to be able to protect their town
      - May also open the door to prevent the player from griefing their towns when attempting to kill them off too easily
      - Currently there's been issues coding the "pour miracle at xx" statement

- Civic Multi-building
      - Same principle as the Housing Multi-building presented in the first alpha video
      - This might be a little different though since a lot of civic buildings have ore and wood as resource requirements
      - Thinking of ways to also allow gods to create new houses/civics from blueprints (same thing as the player) to grow their town / may require some extra hard coding or just not possible to do

- Epic Miracles
        - A few more tweaks with the strength of these wonders and camera work
        - Watching the old videos I posted here of the hurricane/earthquake epics and how weak they are, means more tweaking to come
        - Epic Miracles may also become part of the repertoire of the God AI (similar to what you saw in Battle of the Gods) with some minor adjustments to prevent the player from simply throwing a fireball etc. into it

Thankyou!  :)

First off, even though I've only just joined fairy recently, I have followed OGaM since the start and am absolutely overjoyed that you're not only back but continuing the project.  You're essentially reviving a beloved genre(Godus's questionable progress aside) and you should take a fair amount of pride in that.
My only question is one that several have been wondering since the release of BotG; do you intend to essentially carry over the new miracles and buildings from Battle of the Gods to Black and White 2 so we can finally have our dream sandbox mode with the BotG stuff included? Several years later Lionhead has still not released the modding tools, so it's impossible to mod BotG itself. Putting the assets into BW2 might be another story, however.

CosmoClock21 said:
First off, even though I've only just joined fairy recently, I have followed OGaM since the start and am absolutely overjoyed that you're not only back but continuing the project.  You're essentially reviving a beloved genre(Godus's questionable progress aside) and you should take a fair amount of pride in that.
My only question is one that several have been wondering since the release of BotG; do you intend to essentially carry over the new miracles and buildings from Battle of the Gods to Black and White 2 so we can finally have our dream sandbox mode with the BotG stuff included? Several years later Lionhead has still not released the modding tools, so it's impossible to mod BotG itself. Putting the assets into BW2 might be another story, however.

Hey

Thankyou for your interest in OGaM. Your answer lies in the question. Lionhead have their own internal programs they used to create and import new game assets into Black and White 2 and by that extension Battle of the Gods. Since no community similar program exists, it's impossible to be able to do this.

Moreso when it comes to the miracles, since these are hard coded into BoTG, there will most likely never be a way to "carry them over" without some serious rework of the game engine which 90% of the time, might just end up breaking what's already in place. I hope this answered your question.

OGaM has and always will be built from the currently available modding tools for Black and White 2, no other things are involved.

RaTcHeT302 said:
I added a link to OGaM to the B&W megathread on FP. I'll have to add more details later on though.
http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1380770&p=44391821

Good luck.

Thanks  :)

Small Update: Considering changing the flow of the game from 2 large parts to a number of smaller parts that tell a part of the overall story. As it progresses, the number of lands included may or may not grow. Developing smaller sets of story landscapes can potentially reduce the wait time for the full game so people can jump in straight away.

Also allows me to concentrate on the story in small chunks, so it's done right, hopefully to make players look forward to what happens next. I've seen it done before and might be a good opportunity.  :)

Sounds like a good idea actually to do.  :)

April 18th Update!

Belief System

- This system will most likely be scripted similar to how the God AI works, which means creating a new set of Balance items that determine how much belief u get from certain actions.
- This will replace what the God AI Relations System would've been.
- The Belief System can also allow the implementation of a Danger Scaling System in the God AI that can modify wat the enemy gods choose what to do.
- The belief system has the ability to use the numerical display of tribute as it's indicator

Danger Scaling System

- A section of the God AI that will appropriately engineer how a god thinks.
- Example 1 - Taking x number of towns by force can cause the enemy god to cast hostile miracles at the player or create platoons.
- Example 2 - Taking x number of towns by impressiveness can trigger the need to construct an epic wonder to use against the player to level out what town they have (this could be too dangerous to implement into the game tho)
- Since OGaM is a full story-line, you may expect custom god powers that aren't normally accessible by the player (e.g. Lethys in BnW1 stole your creature / Nemesis made him useless at night)
- Danger Scaling System can also mean the enemy god can change tactics and cause them to stop gathering resources, watering fields etc. to do other things.

Below is an early set of balance numbers for belief. Variables defined have numbers that give belief for the first action of that type done, will decrement after the more you do it.
Code:
// Belief System (WiP) - Belief is award numerically on-screen like BnW1 used to work - Belief System could replace impressiveness in BnW2

global WaterFields = 120
global WaterTrees = 120
global RockThrow = 130
global TreeThrow = 130

global CastHeal = 125
global CastFireball = 140

global CreatureScenicTree = 200
global PlayerScenicTree = 200

global CreatureDance = 100
global CreatureWaterField = 90
global CreatureWaterForest = 90
global CreatureCastHeal = 95
global CreatureCastFireball = 125

global CreatureCollectWood = 140
global CreatureCollectFood = 140
global CreatureCollectOre = 140

global CollectResourceWood = 200
global CollectResourceFood = 200
global CollectResourceOre = 200

global BeliefDecrement //Used for decrementing the amount of belief when an action is used more than once on the same town

God AI

- Danger Scaling System - As mentioned above
- Belief System (an ambitious task for a computer controlled AI)
- Miracle pouring still continues to not function properly in script and may be scrapped for something else

General

- Disabling Changing Time with the Hand
- Disabling the Toolbar (except for the build tab) in favor of scaffold similar system
- Constructing a Lumbermill or Smelter from vanilla BnW2 can produce scaffolds.
- Size of the scaffold determines what building can be constructed (e.g. x amount of wood produces a house scaffold, wood and ore produces a civic or house that uses them)
- Scaffolding is another large script that would take time to engineer.

That's all for now. As always, be aware that all of this is being done through script only and no hard coding, so I'm just tossing around ideas. Feasibility and being "do-able" is subjective to how scripts behave.

Thanks  :)

By using the scaffolding system it sounds like your pushing for some of the elements of the original B&W right? I liked it more than BW2 system, because it felt more interactive than just choosing from a list of buildings.

KB89 said:
By using the scaffolding system it sounds like your pushing for some of the elements of the original B&W right? I liked it more than BW2 system, because it felt more interactive than just choosing from a list of buildings.

That's right. I do want to try and push for such a system with what is available in BnW2's scripting code. I've never liked the toolbar, so I'm looking for ways around it that can allow me to simply turn it off altogether.

An idea came to mind recently for the functionality that creating platoons had. Placing down a blueprint of the platoon and dragging out the size of the platoon. The same idea may be applicable to scaffolding where dragging out from the scaffold can enable the effect of creating a larger structure.

I hope I've explained it as well as I can, it may be better for me to just create a test in-game and record footage of how it would work. Since scripting lets u create buildings at the hand's position, it very well may be possible.  :)

Interesting idea.  Thinking outside the toolbar.  I like it :D .

Just wondering if size alone though will get you over the hump of creating all building types?

This isn't a perfect suggestion, but what if the building type, e.g. impressive, military etc. was dictated by which creature leash you were holding?  Or possibly some kind of flag?

You may also want to consider how you'll incorporate the rest of the building process with this, i.e. orientation and placing multiple copies.

Could you possibly just hold ctrl or shift while dragging for a different set of buildings maybe?

fenton_pat said:
Interesting idea.  Thinking outside the toolbar.  I like it :D .

Just wondering if size alone though will get you over the hump of creating all building types?

This isn't a perfect suggestion, but what if the building type, e.g. impressive, military etc. was dictated by which creature leash you were holding?  Or possibly some kind of flag?

You may also want to consider how you'll incorporate the rest of the building process with this, i.e. orientation and placing multiple copies.

Good idea, I think another obstacle would be how to construct scaffolds in towns with nothing. I know in BnW1, u could craft scaffolds and chuck them into a land portal and they'd come out the other end.

I did want to use the Lumbermill and Ore Refinery buildings as prerequisites to obtaining scaffolds. Orientation would be simple enough since there are object properties that are configurable through script and existing structures already come default with copying.

KB89 said:
Could you possibly just hold ctrl or shift while dragging for a different set of buildings maybe?

This is another idea, alternatively, for people that have scroll wheels on their mouse can quickly get through buildings by that method.

Thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming. For now, best thing I could do is get the basic functionality down like I did with the God AI.

This seems like a project with a lot of potential. Keep it up!

May I also add that if you ever decide to abandon it or put it on stasis again that you upload it to here or to http://sourceforge.net/ ?

That way it can be adopted and not "die out".

I do understand that the project is still in its infancy and you don't want to release a product that could screw up a user's pc or something like that but by the same token I would hate to see all this hard work go to waste.

Hope to see a public Betta soon!

If there's anything I can do to help please let me know!

I would not mind Betta testing either!

Yeah almost every mouse today has a scroll wheel. Sounds nice and intuitive.

Khazar said:
This seems like a project with a lot of potential. Keep it up!

May I also add that if you ever decide to abandon it or put it on stasis again that you upload it to here or to http://sourceforge.net/ ?

That way it can be adopted and not "die out".

I do understand that the project is still in its infancy and you don't want to release a product that could screw up a user's pc or something like that but by the same token I would hate to see all this hard work go to waste.

Hope to see a public Betta soon!

If there's anything I can do to help please let me know!

I would not mind Betta testing either!

It's possible for me to open the source code up to the public later on after the mechanics are built and implemented. The reason it's being considered alpha right now is because the game itself hasn't begun development. In order for me to correctly build the story, I need to have everything else in place.

I'm hoping I won't have to "abandon" it again since I don't have much tying me down anymore but I have been technically developing the game since 2007  ???  so it's not too far from the truth that it's stable enough to become opensource.

Back