Of Gods and Mortals

Hey. I know I didn't plan to be back yet, and I'm not. Actually waiting for a pizza, at the moment. It still looks like about 10 Nov will be my official return.

The intro looks fantastic. It is odd hearing a member's voice. :)  But, as for what Grem said, there are clearly still those that are interested, (I'm interested) and since it is non-profit, if anyone gets enjoyment from it, even the developers, it is a worthwhile cause. After all, as Wilde said, all art is quite useless. It must stand on the joy it gives us, as opposed to any practical value. Though I'd also hope this might breathe a bit of life and interest into a modding community, at least if enough people saw it. Though those statistics are a little startling, even knowing that the game itself and the franchise are pretty much dead. It was only a year and an half ago, I believe, that we were still more-or-less booming with activity.

Seeing the intro has made me itch. I definitely need to get a mic and apply for voice acting later on.  :D

Wow, the Intro looks great!!  Jess, you sound amazing!

Noticed some lines for the Prophet, but I couldn't quite make all them out in the small video screen.  Dax or Grem, if you have the lines, I'm ready to lend my voice.

GallopRider said:

Noticed some lines for the Prophet, but I couldn't quite make all them out in the small video screen.  Dax or Grem, if you have the lines, I'm ready to lend my voice.

I'll package the game up and send you it via PM as soon as I can.

GallopRider said:

Aw, thanks. I'm just having fun with it all! I can't wait to hear your lines put in the game as well. :)

Looks spiffy.  I especially like the big explosion effect.  Unfortunately, I couldn't watch it full-size yet as I'm stuck in the office, so I couldn't read the written dialogue.

If I might offer one suggestion though (not sure if it's possible) - can you animate the god hands a little in the vid?  At the moment, they are just static until the video release them and that looks slightly off.

The Goddess hand might look a little more menacing if it were moving around.  Perhaps in an infinity pattern?

As for your own hand, I might suggest leaving it out if you can't animate it and just have the characters address the camera if you can.  That might help the player feel more involved in the game.

Any of that doable?

Possibly. Im yet to experiment with idle motion, I do know since it is a static model, the fingers cannot be animated but I might be able to tweak the god hands to look more "life-like". Cheers for the suggestion pat.

You're welcome.

Animating the fingers would be a bonus, I was thinking more of the hand itself moving around slightly, like it's waiting almost impatiently on something (hence the suggestion of moving around in the infinity or "8" pattern.

Hey guys, progress is a little slow for the next few days but coming together. At the moment I'm tryin to perfect the timing on dialogue and the in-game text and adding more destruction w/o sacrificing too much of the existing (since the vision and real world are the same game world and disrupting object in the land would make it less convincing).

Anyway, I'm here to introduce another new feature for OGaM, so here goes.

New Feature

The Void Realm

The plane of emptiness where godly beings remain until called upon, this is also the final resting place of deities who have fallen in battle and lost the belief power of their followers. The Realm of the Void will become part of OGaM towards the end of part 1 and you will get to see some of it early on. Since nobody actually knows what the Void Realm looks like, it's a great chance to show that as the shape of landscape in the god's eyes.

So what does The Void Realm have to do with OGaM?

Towards the end of Part 1, the goddess has almost taken everything from the player through her powerful will, on the edge of existence, the player will fall inside the void and must defeat the challenges inside to escape. This is by far the biggest twist in the tale and will determine if the player loses the game or succeeds and is allowed to continue on with OGaM with Part 2.

And of Part 2!

OGaM Part 2 will contain an anti-spoiler feature. If you have not completed Part 1, you will not be able to play Part 2. I will also release a patch for Part 1 that will let you continue onto Part 2 at the end of the final land. More info about this will become clear when we reach that point.

Cheers.  :)

Woo! The void realm will be a cool addition.  Kinda makes me think of the "Planes of Oblivion"...  The anti-spoiler patch is a good idea, thought the scripting mechanics of it sounds difficult.  Looking forward to seeing more updates!

OGaM Land 2

Say hello to OGaM's second landscape. It's purpose will be a cinematic landscape. At the moment it is not finished but it's purpose will be the conflict between the player and the goddess, nothing too major yet but the arrival of the player on the goddess homeland isn't as great as you would expect. But I won't spoil too much for the moment.  :D

Enjoy, these 2 screenshots.  :)

Really looking good Dax. Remember people, we still have opening for additional voices. You will be used for random citizens/side quest givers. Just think about having your name in the closing credits of OGaM.

Time for another update. I understand everyone remembers that this game will introduce the Verdant Epic for good players and being exclusively available to players of the good alignment. Now there are a couple of things Id like to mention about this epic miracle.

From the taint of evil presences you have fought throughout your past journies has blurred the line between life and death. Battle of the Gods was a great example of this change. And with this comes new uses for the 2 Epic miracles in OGaM. That's right, there are going to be 2 but I will get into the 2nd one later on.

The Verdant Epic for Good Players
It will work the same as the spell you saw in Battle of the Gods, creating fields of animals to snack on or converting enemy soldiers into food. Of course the epic miracle will spread an entire town.

The Verdant Epic for Evil Players
The evil version of the verdant, is a little different. Instead of turning villagers and enemy soldiers into food. it will do the opposite. Using this on enemy soliders or villages will cause them to deteriate over time, slowing killing the villagers living within the infected town. Death can be stopped by using the heal miracle on the infected. Enemy gods in future skirmish maps using OGaM technology and somewhere in the main game will have access to this epic.

The Second Epic Miracle...
I will get into this one a little later as I said. The only thing I will tell u for now is that you have heard of this miracle before and it involves death (and no its not the death miracle from battle of the gods, but something else). Stay tuned.  :)

I think the verdant epic should not do something differant, dependant on alignment..

I believe you could use 'death' - that was also in Black&White 2 BOTG.

Verdant did not change in effectiveness dependant on what alignment you had.. I think.

But then again, perhaps this new way of miracles / epics changing in effect with your alignment could be seen as enjoyable.. I am reserved though..

Sylcai said:
I think the verdant epic should not do something differant, dependant on alignment..

I believe you could use 'death' - that was also in Black&White 2 BOTG.

Verdant did not change in effectiveness dependant on what alignment you had.. I think.

But then again, perhaps this new way of miracles / epics changing in effect with your alignment could be seen as enjoyable.. I am reserved though..

You are correct, the verdant just made free livestock for your villagers. I just thought I could bring something unique to this game to make the epics have more than one purpose. This may change over time though.

I am looking into the idea of making each epic do different things depending on the players alignment, giving them more power to use without worrying about leaning away from the side they choose, whether its good or evil.

e.g.

- Siren converts people pushing the players alignment further to Good if they already or on the good side of the neutral line. The Evil version of the epic rather would slaughter those people in a fiery rage.
- Volcanoes for neutral evil/evil players will create a permanent volcano, good players will have that volcano sprout falling waters.
- Earthquake for neutral evil/evil players will tear the landscape open and bring down any building or villagers in its path. Good version of the earthquake will most likely not change but will push your alignment towards Evil.
- Hurricane epic for neutral evil/evil will summon a hustling wind that will pull and throw everything in its path. The good version of the hurricane will not change.

Still a work in progress so it's subject to change or possibly be scrapped.

The second epic could not possibly be megasplosion from BW1, could it?

This is getting more interesting as it goes. From what you are saying, it is sounding far more interesting to me than BW2 ever actually did.  :laugh2

Daxter said:
You are correct, the verdant just made free livestock for your villagers. I just thought I could bring something unique to this game to make the epics have more than one purpose. This may change over time though.

I am looking into the idea of making each epic do different things depending on the players alignment, giving them more power to use without worrying about leaning away from the side they choose, whether its good or evil.

e.g.

Still a work in progress so it's subject to change or possibly be scrapped.

Verdant also allowed you to combat armies in a friendly way, by turning them into animals. - Not just creating life stock if cast on nothing.

yes I know, I included detail of the spell on the first post of the first page.  :)

However, at this point, the verdant spell has not been available to Black and White 2 players and rather than bring back an old spell, I have decided to put it to more use and allow it to also be affected by alignment. This should have the player be more cautious about wat type of player they want to be and also give a more godly feeling than just have them make armies to destroy opposing sides just to be an evil god.  :)

Hey guys, obviously it's been quiet around here. I've taken some time for the holidays for xmas to new years to spend time with family. I hope everyone else had a great christmas themselves and shall we look forward to the new year, I know I will be.

See yas back in January when things start up again.

cheers  :)

Back