Strategy Guide Spoilers

[alphaBeta]

Elder
I have included some interesting game play facts I got from reading the strategy guide. Not everything is going to work like I thought it would.

Disclaimer: Keep in mind that some of this may not be true. They could have changed things since the guide was written. I also could have misread things as well. I won't be responsible for disappointments or people getting their hopes up on things that aren't actually in the game or turn out different from what's below. Take it for what it is.
1. I believe there are 9 lands. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like you fully escape the tutorial until the 4th land. Hopefully they go quick. I can't believe they built the tutorial into the storyline again. Didn't they learn their lesson the first time? It's just so annoying to sit through the "how to move around" tutorial if you want to restart the game.

2. Adjusting the creature's leash length seems to be different. Now you set a radius where he can go, and the leash either adjusts as necessary or the creature just doesn't leave the area.

3. Creature training is different as well. Training revolves around a "do as I say, not as I do." The creature doesn't seem to mimic your moves anymore making it much easier for your alignments to be different. Somehow you now click on things to get the creature to interact with it. While he's moving toward it the thought bubble displays what he intends to do, so you can correct it right there before he actually does something. You can also go back and punish/reward things the creature did awhile ago. So if you punish him for throwing someone you can punish him more later even if he doesn't do it again.

4. It also looks like the approval/disapproval of actions is saved as well. So if you punish him 25% and he does it again, the meter will already be a 25% allowing you to punish more or reverse the decision. This gives you much more insight to the creature thought process.

5. Speaking of thought process, you can see what the creature is thinking much more than the previous game.

6. The Evil & Good alignments do not factor into the game like I envisioned. I'll let you be the judge next week. It's too much to explain how the system works here.

7. Your creature no longer learns miracles from watching you ("do as I say, not as I do"). You actually purchase miracles for him to use. He can only learn the four basic ones as well (no more creatures mega blasting your temple this time around). You also purchase upgrades for him to be a better soldier/builder or gatherer.

8. Speaking of purchasing stuff - the whole game revolves around purchasing things with tribute. You gain tribute through completing silver scrolls and objectives. You have to purchase your knowledge of miracles as well as almost all of the building blueprints. This time around you have to purchase the ability to use gestures from the first game (that's fine with me - they can keep it - I hate gestures). You can also purchase the ability for your hand to interact with the land (i.e. it looks like you can bash stuff with your hand and whatnot). Finally the ability to pick up multiple villages or items (via the tornado thing I'm sure we've all scene by now) has to be purchased as well.

9. The city building aspect is more complicated that I expected. Every building contributes to your impressiveness. There are several modifies to each building's impressiveness as well. For instance a building is less impressive if it's near other buildings. It may also have more capacity when near other buildings as well. Certain bonuses apply when certain building are close to one another. There's a simcity type of hierarchy on how buildings influence the surrounding people and buildings. There's even a small penalty for repeating buildings - a city with all the same buildings will be less impressive. Granted you have to repeat buildings, but it's advantageous to mix it up a bit and space things out.

10. Platoons of soldiers have 10 ranks they go through as they gain experience. You can even bring your best soldiers with you from land to land for a high tribute price.

11. Fields are now free to build and can be re sized easily. You can make a meadow as well now where animals roam. This is essential if you pick the lion, tiger or wolf (they are more prone to each villagers, so this makes it easier to break the habit if you wish).

12. The Ape is the all-around creature. No major pros or cons. The Wolf is actually said to be rather intelligent, but weak at first. He'll need to work out more than the lion and tiger to match them in battle. The Lion and Tiger like meat and are quite strong. The cow is geared more toward good than evil (being a natural herbivore). Keep in mind that with the right training, any creature can be any alignment.

13. Doesn't look like there's a possibility for creature swapping anymore. Whatever you pick to start is it.

14.  Disciples are back. Doesn't look like you raise totem polls anymore. You make disciples to worship at the alter or wonders if you want to be able to cast spells.

15. If you're feeling evil, you can smack your creature with a closed fist possibly scaring and hurting him.

16. I think you'll be able to see if an action you just did is evil or good. It may even tell you how good or evil.

Enjoy. There's probably lots more, but this will wet your appetite.

Thanks, I think. ???

The more I see of it the less I'm starting to like the tribune thing. If I'm a god, why should I have to purchase things. Don't god's just make things happen by being gods.

im a little stressed out now because i read the part about the animal and now i dont know wat animal to pick. i want the tiger but then i want the wolf then i want the ape then i want the tiger then etc.  but tanxz any way u have the strategy guide already?

Yeah, I wasn't very happy about that either. Unfortunately, it's a huge part of the game and strategy, and it dictates almost everything. I think only the stock creature, the water miracle and a few buildings do not require tribute. Everything else does (including the other regular five miracles you can cast). You have to plan out early what you want to spend it on.

The only good part is, it is an incentive to do the silver scroll missions, and complete some of the optional objectives.

Yes, in the USA the book is for sale. I wouldn't worry too much about the creatures. I'm sure there's more information to know about them, I just skimmed over it.

EDIT: Excellent ! Apparently there will be functionality to skip the tutorial available the day of release. PlanetBlackandWhite is reporting the following:
We'll be releasing a patch for all versions on the day of release which will include various changes including a skip tutorial feature ... we're sorry it couldn't make it in for release, there was just too much to do

kk so you have to
buy him his miracle like fire and all that
i als quickly edited this one aswell.

your creature can get drunk lol
i quickly edited it hope it made a difference sorry people.

Guys, put those things in spoiler tags, cause this is pointless:

Your creature can be a chicken

Your creature can be a chicken!?!?!?!??

sorry i dont know how to im sort of new here.
i tried changin the colour to the same color as it would appear in the boards but i couldnt
im really sorry ill go hide in shame of my self sorry people i didnt mean to spoil anything
plz forgive me im sort of new.

Code:
[SPOILER]like this[/SPOILER]
creates
like this

type:
Code:
[SPOILER]like this[/SPOILER]

to create:
like this

If you still don''t get it, Quote FotD's pst to see the code.

thank you kays and fotd and sorry people if you saw that and you didnt want to see it

So wait do u always have to purchase his miracles or does he learn em eventually without using tirbute or does he learn them instantly after purchasing them?

Good question. ???

I think that you are buying the the ability for your creature to perform the miracle rather than the miracle itself.

But do you still have to teach him it or just where & how to use use it. ???

o god what a kick in the balls this is >.<
theyve gone and made it a game with "unlockables" i mean i didnt like the hud but that wasnt a bad thing but now some of the good stuff from B&W1 is gone??!?! my god theyve killed it...FOR SHAME LIONHEAD*scolds*:angry:
o well guess ill just buy it when im bothered not when its out no big deal and expect me to be one to mess around with this so called tribute system this means war.
they never learn do they  :no
well thanks for sharing the info now i can go buy other games that havent decided to shoot themselves in the head in their sequel  :yes
im gonna hack this game to peices now, inf tribute points for all! :yourock: and what do you know the moment that gets made this games playtime is gonna hit the floor so fast it will go through to the basement  :laugh2

Zackers14 said:
So wait do u always have to purchase his miracles or does he learn em eventually without using tirbute or does he learn them instantly after purchasing them?

It looks like you purchase the ability for him to use the miracle, then he instantly knows it. It's difficult to tell.
In a matter of hours all this guessing will not be needed, so we'll wait and see.

[me=FotD]give up[/me]

Slasher, All the people who played b&w2 already thinks its not as bad as it sounds.

Yeah, I don't think it will be that bad. It adds another wrinkle into the game. Instead of everyone having the ability to build whatever they want you have to plan things out ahead of time. Do I purchase all of the little helpful upgrades along the way, or save up for the epic miracle buildings? I think this adds a another strategy element rather than seeing who can click and build the fastest.

I may eat those words in the coming days, but I'm trying to make light of it for now.

Back