How did you find Black & White?

:upside hmm hamachi u say, eh?

yeh ive seen that in a couple of threads...

so... its some sort of game set up thing??  ???

God damnit, I found black and white and I had so much anticipation of playing it then!!! Bang 85% Crashes because some file cant be done
villager.sad is the file in data2.cab, FROM THIS DAY FORTH I AM CHEESED OFF

Heh. Sup guys. Long time no see? When I first found out about B&W, it was when my brother had come over (half-brother) and brought the game to play on my computer. I had no idea what it was but it looked cool. He left to go to a store and let me play it, when he came back I was already obsessed with the game. My brother had been living with his mom at the time, so he was to leave in a few days. Remember that I was only a tyke at the time, so I eh... "Lost it." When he left I resumed my crusade over the lands of B&W. I was surprisingly good at the game for a kid of my age. Maybe I was 7 or 8. I got to the land where Lethys took your creature and I quit because it was too hard. I beat the game a few years later, and that's it.

I just started playing a few weeks ago and the funny the thing is I started playing after I saw a review for black and white II in a copy of mac magazine. After playing for a few weeks I figured I might as well see what black and white was like after hearing it was a lot more open-ended and I'm glad I did. O and then I found this place. :laugh: Is it just me or are the 2 black and white games and this website starting to die?

Well, the game is quite old now, but I wouldn't say it's dying.  It's just aged to maturity :;): .

Given the age of the game, interest has obviously decreased.  

However, it's been this level of quiet for quite some time.  There are always people showing up mentioning how they've just discovered the game or found this site looking for new things to do with the whole B&W series of games (download new maps, mods, etc.).

In addition, we also show interest in other games that the members here all like, e.g. Spore.  Although I have to admit our main focus is still B&W.

*Suddenly realise he never siad how he found the game :shocked *
For me, I had read about B&W in gaming magazines well before it's release.  However, I held off for a long while from buying the game for two reasons:
  • I didn't have a powerful enough PC
  • I had read mentions of a PS2 port being made and was holding out for that little realising how awful that would have been :no.

Eventually though, I bought the game around the time path 1.20 was released.  I played it for a long time isolated from the internet (I lived out in the countryside) until I finally had internet access and could visit the Lionhead B&W forums  Where I met some of the long-time olbies that can be found here  :worship .

100% agree to you there fenton

... I saw a mate play Black and White 1 aaaages ago, probly coulda been about the time it first came out lol

then I found the special edition of black and white 2, not even knowing it had ome out, in the warehouse bout 4 or 5 years back lol

Pc Gamer was showing sneak peaks months-weeks before it was set to be released. It immediatly pulled me in as i love games where your choices heavily depict the rest of the game and games with massive amounts of customisation.
I remember sitting there days before its release thinking about how my evil ape would look as the one in PC Gamer had cool red eyes! but when i finally got it to -100 evil it never had red eyes :( but still looked awesome none the less.

Yeah, I'm unearthing a dead thread.  I couldn't resist. 

I found Black & White while scouring Wikipedia at 2:40 AM (insomniac on the loose).  I was looking up "Most Popular PC games" and saw BW.  A few clicks later, I was reading about my now favourite game.  A few days after, I went to Amazon.com and ordered a like new disc with original jewel case for $11 US.  In two weeks I received my game with a huge crack across the case, wrapped in one layer of cellophane and packaged in a small yellow (unpadded) paper envelope.  So much for good packing!  :rolleyes

My older brother played it before I did.. then.. he got bored off it.. or finished it.. and gave it to me.

This sadly was already after the online thing was braught down.. so I never had that fun..

BUT!.. I did play it LAN with my mom! :D that was fun. She's good at creature training! :O - Untill the creature froze up! xD

Each time.. >_>  I didn't find kayssplace then yet.. so.. we never patched..  Only played 3 times with my mom, she got annoyed how I got annoyed when the creature froze! xD

I found Black & White around 2001 or 2002, I can't remember. Through Target, I looked at the cover, I thought it was gonna be a freaky game due to the info about the evil side. But when my Father brought it, I decided to give it a try, and that's how I got into the game and how it became my favorite game of all time.

I´ve find the black and white around 2002 when my cousin said I should try it! At first my computer was weak with virtual memory and the game lag and had to start a new game every time. Since then I´ve been always playing. I think it´s the best game  for pc. :)

In 2003, my stepfather was playing it, and I was enraptured by his tiger, which went around eating people and fishing. Then, in 2005, I started reading about it, and was again enraptured about the info on the creature AI. In 2006, my dad "got" it for me, but I found out that it was an illegal copy when I read that it needed a disc to run. So, later that year I dug out my stepfather's old copy from storage, which he had eventually become frustrated with due to the singing missionaries, and played it legally. Then I joined Kayssplace in 2007. :D

My boyfriend at the time bought it for me as a gift. It hadn't been released for very long... it was still new and fresh. He had read about it and thought it would be "my type of game" He was right! I loved it from the start and played it all the time. I would take breaks from it but it would always call me back.

Tragedy struck in 2005. My PC started acting very odd and things quit working properly. After trying so hard to save it, it just wouldn't run the right way anymore. I lost a lot of stuff, and the ability to play a lot of my favorite games - Black & White included.

I threw some old parts together and got a system up and running Windows 98 SE. But, B&W was one of the few games that would crash without warning. I could play it for a bit, but that was all.

2009 came along and I became a MAC :D

I discovered B&W had been re-released for Mac OS X a few years ago and found a copy on Amazon for 17 bucks. Bliss followed :D

It runs so smoothly, so flawlessly, so perfectly... I'm in love all over again.

I got into Black and White 2 first, then naturally found out about Black and White. The rest is history.

I saw it on this history of video games tv special a long time ago and I saw it for $2.00 in the cd section of a thrifttown and bought it. Now it's my favorite game that's not sonic 3 and knuckles for genesis

Sonicboom said:
I saw it on this history of video games tv special a long time ago and I saw it for $2.00 in the cd section of a thrifttown and bought it. Now it's my favorite game that's not sonic 3 and knuckles for genesis

I loved those old Sonic games. :D I honestly cannot remember how I found out about B&W...I probably saw it at the store and thought it looked fun. I don't think any of my friends played it, so I must have found out about it by chance.

By the way, to the post before the necro-bump, PCGamer is the shiz.

That's all.

I just went to a Apple Store one day and saw it on a shelf. It from that moment on life was godly  :yourock:  :D

Had a friend when I was 10 or so who got it, I played it a bit at his place and got hooked instantly. Didn't get it myself until a few years later though  :upside
Recently remembered that I actually still have it and started playing again.

Back