Which is the most effective alignment PvP? (And hey all!)

SkelApe

Elder
Hey guys! It's been a while I posted here but I used to be a pretty active member. I normally check in once every few days to see if there are any new or interesting posts and try and contribute if I can. Oh and if anglosaxon is still out there, I've been accepted on to an Anglo-Saxon, Norse & Celtic course at King's College, Cambridge!  :upside How awesome is that!

Anyway, I've recently been playing a bit of BW1 and well, I've pretty much squeezed all the tips and tricks out of the game. And yet I can't decide which is the most potent alignment to combat other players (me and my brother are going to play PvP LAN soon, ahhh  :) ) I thought this'd be a good topic of discussion!

GOOD PROS: firstly there is the upside that your creature won't have a tendency to eat your villagers. In a pinch on PvP games, every villager counts. One's creature can even torch a whole village, even if unintentionally when evil. This is not normally in a good creature's nature. Secondly, if the approach of the game is one of building influence and impressing, a good creature can help build villages up more readily. Thirdly of course is the aesthetics. Though not tactically important, everyone loves a shiny spire for a temple with doves and rainbows in the sky :D It also complements the general gaming strategy which is to impress.

GOOD CONS: The obvious detractor for playing truly good, both for the player and for the creature, is the inability to megablast a village to pieces. If an enemy is torching your villages with powerful miracles, the natural response is, of course, to torch their villages. A good player/creature is generally prohibited from doing this. (though they can heal, shield and put out fires in villages  :yes )Furthermore, a good creature will have less of an aptitude for fighting, since creature battles are one of the principle ways for
decreasing a creature's alignment. This point is not always true however, as a good creature can sometimes be a good combatant.

EVIL PROS: This will almost be a mirror image of the cons of playing good. An evil creature CAN torch villages when ever it likes, to truly soil an enemy's plans. An extension of this is the final destruction of the player. Though by the time you get to destroying an enemy's temple they will be on their knees, it always helps to get rid of them quickly to stop any tricks they may have up their sleeve. A truly good creature lacks this ability. An evil god can exhibit all these qualities too in order to cause some destruction to the enemy. Since impressing is also a neutral business, evil creatures can boast this ability.

EVIL CONS: Generally they will be as good as useless in 'build up your towns/influence' scenarios, and will not be able to contribute to village infrastructure at all. Except by burning some of your own buildings or villagers. Even in conquer scenarios evil creatures lack the ability to care for villages and even when impressing them might accidentally destroy them, potentially ruining one's strategy for the entire game. Particularly if an important village such as the ones in the middle of the 'two gods' and 'three gods' maps. Essentially evil creatures are a lot more hotheaded. In addition, evil gods generally don't consolidate villages they take and can cause populations to decrease, particularly in longer games.

So, what do you think? :)

Well for one thing, I think your approach on this could be tweaked a little.

You're looking at this from a Good/Evil approach as opposed to shades of grey, i.e. Neutral.

If memory serves, I recall many a mutliplayer gamer focusing on training their creature to behave differently depending on the allegiance of the village that they are in.
  • Be nice to your own villages
  • Impressive on neutral villages
  • Aggressive to enemy villages
  • Always destroy the enemy temple

Never could figure out how to do all that though :suspect ??? . 

In addition, you need to decide how your creature will engage other creatures.  The simplest, most effective way would be to train a good fighter.  However, a more interesting (and somewhat comedic) challenge would be to train him to be friendly.  Your creature would effectively neuter the enemy creature with kindness :laugh2 .

Now personally, the balance of these different behaviours look to be more Evil than Good.  However, the games own alignment system will probably make your creature Evil given how he will be attacking enemy villages/temples.

I haven't actually played B&W multiplayer, but it sounds to me like, in most cases the evil strategy would be best.
Except for people, which could be a huge, game losing/game boring problem, because, (I am quoting the strategy guide on one of the few sensible things it said) people = power.
So for that one little reason good seems to win.  :angry  Unless you blow things up with very alarming speed.  :alert :bomb :alert   

That's the point I'm trying to make though.  The points I saw other Multiplayer gamers make back in the day was to be nice and get your guys to breed like crazy while taking an aggressive stance on the enemy villages.

Netutral ones should be impressed and then put in the "breed like crazy category" :;): .

Bit late but....
Back in the day a lot of the more dedicated players would have special profiles with their MP trained creature.
I would do much as FP said but my creatures job was destroy the enemy Temple ASAP.
Fireball, Heal and Water are the only 3 miracles such a creature should know.
As near as possible
100% Fat for endurance
100% Strength In case of fights.
100%  Size for speed and fights.
0% Tired or hunger .

This makes a killer Team if the enemy is just a normal player.

There is a defence against this tactic. Same creature same training except teach flying flock  not fireball.
The target is also different use him to take villages while you defend the Temple.

Back