Weird Mouse/Keyboard Issue

musicaficta

The weirdest thing has been happening in my game, and though I've scoured the Internet, I haven't found anyone else with this particular problem:

I start B&W, and usually gameplay is fairly normal.  However, after anywhere from a minute to a half hour, my cursor will fly out over the ocean, somewhere past my boundaries and won't let me move it (not with the mouse OR the keyboard).  In fact, many of the keyboard shortcuts stop working.  The only 'fix' I have is to input the 't' key so the text box comes up, and then I can use the mouse normally.  However, this rather inhibits gameplay because with the textbox up, I can't do much of anything with the keyboard.  I've already done everything in CowGod's guide, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be rather grateful.  The touchpad on this thing doesn't always recognize the difference between left- and right-clicks, so it's getting very frustrating.

Here are my computer specs (and I just got this laptop 3 weeks ago, so everything should be current):

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3615QM CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 7973 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -1984 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 931348 MB, Free - 858940 MB;
Motherboard: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD., 700Z3C/700Z5C
Antivirus: Kaspersky Anti-Virus, Updated and Enabled

As a laptop gamer, I find touchpads woefully inadequate for pretty much any type of game.  With free-roaming cameras sometimes a wrong swipe (especially on these newer touchpads that recognise "gestures") will send the camera careening off to one direction.  Do you have a USB mouse you could try playing with?  Might be a good idea to check for any driver updates on the touchpad/mouse.

Is there a certain direction the cursor/camera gets stuck in?  Have you experienced a similar issue when typing where the cursor quickly scrolls horizontally and gets stuck?  Or your pointer jumping?  Most of the time it's just the touchpad confusedly reacting to you setting another finger down. Unfortunately it's a limitation of touchpads.

I recommend trying a mouse and seeing how it goes.

You have a Samsung laptop?  I bought mine a few years ago and it continues to serve me well;  it's an R580 in red and black.

Thanks so much for your input.  I have a wireless mouse, but alas, it is not compatible with Windows 7.  I'll get a new one tomorrow, disable the touchpad when I play, and see if that works.

Back