Waking The P5 Dead

Sarophie

Hello fellow gods and goddesses! I am here to wake the dead. If it is alright with everyone, I would like to start up a thread to discuss the "Essential Reality P5 Glove". I know that many people do not own one but I was hoping that some do or at least know how it works. This thread's main purpose is to gather information on the glove and to give tips and so on to fellow glove users. If everything is clear, I would first like to paste some info on it, say a little, then let you peeps take the lead.

**All products mentioned are property of their respective owners.**
**I am in no way affiliated with Essential Reality or any related groups.**
**All information is gathered from all around the internet with no definite source.**
**Please note that some information may not be accurate. It was picked up from the internet after all.**
**I am in no way attempting to make people buy the subject item.**

~*~Overview~*~

The P5 is an innovative, glovelike peripheral device, based upon proprietary bend sensor and remote tracking technologies, that provides users total intuitive interaction with 3D and virtual environments, such as games, websites and educational software.
Brandish a mighty sword in a video game, walk through an online room, or pick up objects on screen - with the power of P5 in your hands, you can fully harness the potential of today's lifelike 3D and virtual gaming environments like never before.

~*~Specifications~*~

~Lightweight, ergonomic design for easy, intuitive play. Weighs just 4.5 oz.
~The first widely available virtual 3D controller
~Mouse-mode compatible with any application
~6 degrees of tracking (X, Y, Z, Yaw, Pitch and Roll) to ensure realistic movement - most trackball, joystick  and mouse controllers offer only 2 degrees of freedom
~Bend-sensor and optical-tracking technology to provide true-to-life mobility
~Easy, plug-and-play setup - plugs right into the USB port of your PC
~Infrared control receptor with scratch-resistant, anti-reflective lens
~Easy-to-use anywhere - desktop, living room, etc...

Finger Sensor Specs:
5 independent finger measurements.
0.5 degree resolution (0-90 degree range)

Tracking System Specs:
Patent pending optical tracking system.
3-4 foot range from receptor that allows unlimited range from monitor.
60Hz refresh rate.
6 degrees of freedom (yaw/pitch/roll/x/y/z)

XYZ Specs:
0.125 inch resolution @ 3 foot range from receptor and unlimited range from monitor� 0.5 inch accuracy @ 3 foot range from receptor that allows unlimited range from monitor.

Yaw/Pitch/Roll Specs:
1 degree resolution.
1 degree accuracy.

Unique Desk Mounted Receptor:
No power cord required.
Easy on / off removal systems.

USB System Specs:
USB 1.1 compliant.
HID Specification compliant.
2 USB Interfaces provided - Native P5 Mode, and Standard Mouse / Joystick Mode.

Supported Platforms:
Fully USB compliant, the P5 is compatible with the PC (95 up to XP) as well as Mac OS 9 and below

As you can see, this is quite the item. It is a big step-up from the old Power Glove we saw on the NES. Other than Black & White, this glove can be used with many other games. It's also popular when making music. It can be used as a complete replacement for the mouse in most cases. Many of the P5 gloves you come across are specifically designed for PC gaming.

For most of us here, the glove is mostly associated with Lionhead Studios' Black & White PC game. The glove is used to put a whole new perspective on the use of the in-game god hand. It gives you total control over the hand. If you close your hand, the god hand will do the same. Move your own hand to grab a villager and you will see the god hand do the same. Just think of the possibilities! Other than an amazing new way to control the game, it also unlocks a special quest on the first Land. I won't go any farther here though. I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise!

I do hope that you enjoyed reading all that. I will post whenever I find something interesting. I'll check back in every now and again to make sure the dead haven't returned to their graves.

T_T

All I have is one question..

where did you get it?..

That thing is so old.. I can't find it anymore! :(

Hello Sylcai. Yes, the glove is rather old. If memory serves me, it was released in 2001. The glove is rather scarce but you can still find it. I will provide some websites below with some average prices.

www.ebay.com ~ Normally around $20 up to $70. The cheap ones are rare. (Search "P5 Glove")

www.yobango.com ~ Listed under Gaming>Misc.>P5 Virtual Glove Controller ~ Brand new for $18.99

http://www.cwonline.com/store/view_product.asp?Product=1179 ~ $69

Those are the only good places I have been able to find them listed so far. I would definately use YoBANGO. It is based in Canada but it is very reliable and ships to almost anywhere. You can use PayPal as well. The cwonline is the new official distributer but as you can see, it isn't cheap. Ebay is not the best place to get one. Prices are usually the same as cwonline and a lot of them are not brand new. I wouldn't recommend getting one used due to that fact that is very likely to be worn out when you get it. Also, getting a kink in the finger sensors can be a major issue. It will still work but not near as well. I wish you the best of luck in getting one.

~Sarophie~

http://www.yobango.com doesn't supply outside usa / canada T-T

I'll just ask a local pc everything shop here if they can get it for me ^^ I am sure of it.

Ach, soon! I will join you with the P5 fun! :D sadly I heard you need to treat them extreamly gently.. >_> let that be one of my flaws...

Yes, it is true that you need to treat them gently but they can take a little bit of a beating. As long as you are careful and just use regular hand movements, you should be fine. Normally the only thing you need to worry about is abnormal bending of the fingers and making too tight of a fist. Another thing to watch out for is the signal tower. You don't wanna accidently pull if off of your desk. Hope you are able to get one. It is so worth it.

I am sorry about YoBANGO. I must have misread their shipping locations. :suspect

^^ well, unless you can buy me one, and I pay you for it? :p

^^;; I'dd have to figure out how to get payment over there though.. I don't have paypal, nor a credit card! ^^

Ach well, I am sure once I get it, it will be worth it! ^^

hey, does it work for black ad white 2 as well?

if it does, I definatly want one!

I doubt that it will work with BW2. Too bad.

Have you got a list of other games which can be played with the glove?

As Kays said, I don't think it works for BW2 but you could always try it. The glove is meant to be a replacement for the mouse. Here are a few games that can officially be used with it.

Black & White 1 with v.1.3 patch (Duh)
Hitman 2
Tiger Hunt
Beach Head 2

There are probably a lot more games but info on them is scarce to none. I think I have Tiger Hunt somehwere in my old CD collection. I got it from a garage sale not even knowing what it was. It had tanks and stuff exploding on it so I was happy.

I am sorry Sylcai, but I doubt my parents would look kindly on a person my age doing business with someone from so far away. Nothing personl, lolz. :laugh2 Maybe you could save up and buy one from the official site. At least then you wouldn't have to worry about any problems with delivery or product quality. Good luck!

I am glad to see that this thread is starting to pick up. I guess a lot of people just aren't into the older stuff like I am. To me, my Nintendo 64 is ten times better than my PS2 and Black & White 1 is cutting edge. Meh, I guess I have always liked the oldies. They just seem to have so much more quality in them.

~Sarophie~

From the looks of things, I may have to call this thread closed almost. The dead seem to have returned to their graves and are rather reluctant to get back up. I'll leave it going for a little while longer and hope a few more people arrive. Welp, back to skinning.

Yea ^^;; not many have the glove, and, just asked, that shop that might have ordered it for me, won't.. T-T

Ah well.. now I'll probably never get one! :p

Sorry to hear that man. I guess you best bet would be to save up and get one from the official distributer or just hope you find a good one on ebay. The distributer sometimes has specials on ebay for the glove that are really cheap. Maybe you should look for one of those.

Later.

^^ no paypal, no creditcard... Ebay goes out of the door right there.

But ach, let's just hope it will fall out of the sky right infront of me (Landing softly ofcourse!)
Wrapped at all with parachute with a note; "Just for you! :D"

Slightly offtopic;

Got the hands yet?:p

Still need a good preview on the boney hand before I can start making that.. as I have no idea how to make it..

Sorry for resurrecting an old topic, but in just over an hour i should be winning a P5 glove on eBay. Ever since i bought B&W i've been curious about the gloves, and now i'm going to try one! Although the postage to the UK is $32 (£20) the item itself is going for barely any money at all. Updates on this when i get the glove!

Back