Startup bugs for BW1 in win xp

vonvin

:help I have been having some trouble with BW1 in the past few weeks.  usually, whenever i try to start it up, the BW logo box comes up, then disappears, and then the "LIONHEAD" program window flashes and dies.  sometimes, though, it works fine.  i have reinstalled three times, am using version 1.3 and yes, i do have a p5 glove, and am running it on XP HE SP2.  it's a real pain, as no-one else ever seems to have had this problem, whereas i have had it on 2 different computers and have tried two different copies of the game (mine and my friend's) on each.  it worked on a win 98SE PC, but that was sooooo slow!  I'm sad because i really like the game. :cmad  :banghead  :angry

It's hard to tell without knowing what your system is.  ???

Click on "Start" then choose "Run" and input "dxdiag" (without the quotes). Somewhere in there you should be able to generate a report. Do that and attach it to a post so I can look at it ("Additional Options" when you preview or make a new post). Also post the make and model number if it has one.

Off hand I'd suspect that you have a nVidia video card and it could be a driver issue. If this is the case rolling back the drivers usually helps.

Somethoing similar happened to me but there wasn't enogh space so i deletyer some of my older games that solved the problem.

I don't think that's what it is, Black-Spidey , there's plenty of HD space. :yes

Other than the fact that your drivers are a bit on the old side I don't anything obvious.

I'm wondering if it's something to do with the glove. Do you have the proper drivers installed for it? And you also have one of the other patches installed?

One thing to try is to backup your profiles properly, then uninstall the game. Delete all of the folders for it , do a defrag on the drive, then re-install the game. First see if will run unpatched. Then add the V1.20 patch and see if it will run. Then finally install the V1.30 patch. If that works, then restore your profiles

Since this thread is like, dead, but it involves one of my questions... :0

What would happen if you installed the 1.3 patch without the glove?  I know it won't work, but has anyone done it?  I have a problem with my patches and since nothing else makes sense I think I might've installed 1.3 at one point thinking it was 1.2, or something ;_;

You shouldn't have any problems playing with 1.30 without the glove as long as the drivers for it are installed. People who have installed that patch without having the glove get a "Missing .dll file" error.

One thing about the 1.30 patch is that I don't know if it has all of the enhancements and bug fixes which both the other patches have.

sorry to open it up again.
i'm sure i have the right drivers for the glove, and i installed v1.20 before v1.3
i've also tried 3 reinstalls, and it still won't work.
however it's sometimes a bit moody ie it may sometimes work and sometimes not.
very strange.

Does it work with just the V1.20 patch installed?

If the game is fussy with the normal patches, then it's probably not due to the glove.

I'm running out of ideas except to try to close all unnecessary background services when running the game. Maybe there's a conflit with one of them.

hmm.  It's worth a try but I have this nagging feeling I tried it before...

Apologies again...
Especially since it's been so long.
Anyway after _FINALLY_ getting the game back from disc repair it plays once and then...
Well, guess. :cmad :banghead
I've checked thad my drive isn't scratching the disc and tried closing everything in the task manager under "applications", and everything but the ones whose user is "LOCAL SERVICE","NETWORK SERVICE" or "SYSTEM" under "processes" but will it work?  Maybe on the other WinXP machine in my house?
NOPE :banghead
This is beginning to get me down.
Quick reminder:
Systems:
Win XP Home SP2
768mb and 1gb ram (different between systems)
DVD +/- rw drive w/CDROM support
Radeon (ati) graphics
WHAT COULD POSSIBLY BE WRONG???

That's a bummer..

Are you log in as Administrator?

Do you have the V1.20 patch installed?[br][br]Added: Feb 23, 2007, 06:20 PMJust saw this on the BWGame boards for a similar problem.

fanne said:
I solved it by going to the window firewall and delete the BW/ LH and give it new permission to go. works like a charm now with all graphics on 1024x...

WOW!
someone else with the same problem!
Yes Kays, i'm logged in as an Administrator and
am using version 1.3 and yes, i do have a p5 glove
me
If the game is fussy with the normal patches, then it's probably not due to the glove
kays
however I'll try the firewall thing...

Back