Short New Topic-------Making Roads

JumpDin

Elder
Hi guys i noticed some of you are city builders.Incase you sometimes view the enemys towns their roads are straight which makes it look well assembled.to make your Roads straight of course drag an existing road and move the arrow keys in your keyboardto drag the road in that direction and if you see the roads is straight.woohoo!now you can have a nice looking city of straight roads :cool:

i find holding down the / key whilst your dragging roads makes them perfect. You should try that!  :)

SkelApe, without knowing it, you just saved a life.
I was standing on top of a skyscraper, making a suïcide attempt, when i read this! THANK YOU!

Does someone know how to make one road exactly parralel to à previous created one?

TheContradiction said:
SkelApe, without knowing it, you just saved a life.
I was standing on top of a skyscraper, making a suïcide attempt, when i read this! THANK YOU!

Does someone know how to make one road exactly parralel to à previous created one?

Uhm.. okay.. o.o and.. no.. suggestion is though to build a row of houses to the road you build,.. and then drag along the houses, with the / key active, that way, it's paralel, and has room in between that you require. :D

A cheaper way is to build a house at the end and begining of your road, and drag / drop the road at the same location in position of the house at the other side :) - this is faster, cheaper, but has the posibility, that (because the game engine is shit)  that in the middle of the road, you can not build a house of that size. :)

TheContradiction, you are so hardcore and all that jazz.
*admires*

Since I understand that it is difficult to tell over the intertubes, my eye just twinkled. The other one, humourously and somewhat incongruously, turned into a dollar sign because of my recent development of orbal dyschromia due to iron poisoning. :rolleyes You know how it is.
[/admiration]

Incidentally, why build parallel when you can build radial?

Well, if life was a contest about confusing a foreigner with contradicting words, you would win. just to let you know, if everyone build radial roads around the world, in some ways, they all could be parallel. think about that.

Hm... I did not contradict myself, TheContradiction. ???  I am good at confusing foreigners, though. I think it is somehow linked to my innate ability to confuse everybody.

And I suppose radial roads are, indeed, parallel on a sphere or a Riemann plane, though since the world of BW2 is technically flat...

Okapidragon said:
Hm... I did not contradict myself, TheContradiction. ???  I am good at confusing foreigners, though. I think it is somehow linked to my innate ability to confuse everybody.

And I suppose radial roads are, indeed, parallel on a sphere or a Riemann plane, though since the world of BW2 is technically flat...

I may be mistaken, but I believe there is a horizon in the game.  Does that not imply then that the land has a curvature and by extension the world as a whole is spherical?

However, if we're just talking about a rendered flat island map, I'd be more inclined to agree with you......technically speaking of course :laugh2  :p .

draw a circle, inside that circle, with the same centre, draw another circle, they are both radial, but are they parallel? thats my question to you guys, cuz i dont have any idea about that

Well, according to an online dictionary, the relevant definition for this would be:

Of, relating to, or designating curves or surfaces everywhere equidistant.

As both circles have the same centre, the line of the outer circle is the same distance (or equidistant) from the line of the inner circle meaning they are indeed parallel.

Oh, Pat beat me to it.  Indeed concentric circles would be parallel.  But would they also be considered so if congruent circles were placed at opposite ends of a perfectly spherical object?  Hmm, makes you think.

Pat, I said technically. Also, people that claim a horizon implies curvature drive me crazy. Apparent size of a set distance over land is asymptotal as it becomes more distant, so the horizon of a flat plane would just be higher; It would be an infinitely small distance below exactly halfway up the sky.

Anyway, if we are speaking in technical terms, the intro scene also shows a spherical planet as Eden, so the horizon thing wouldn't matter.

And GallopRider, since circular parallelism is non-Euclidian by its very nature, and since your suggestion is not of two circles floating in space but actually on a sphere, they would not only be parallel, they would be straight lines. In short, they would be two latitude lines, which are always parallel.

Okapidragon said:
Pat, I said technically. Also, people that claim a horizon implies curvature drive me crazy. Apparent size of a set distance over land is asymptotal as it becomes more distant, so the horizon of a flat plane would just be higher; It would be an infinitely small distance below exactly halfway up the sky.

Anyway, if we are speaking in technical terms, the intro scene also shows a spherical planet as Eden, so the horizon thing wouldn't matter.

And GallopRider, since circular parallelism is non-Euclidian by its very nature, and since your suggestion is not of two circles floating in space but actually on a sphere, they would not only be parallel, they would be straight lines. In short, they would be two latitude lines, which are always parallel.

all i can say is wow. Did you guys study this?

I am particularly interested in mathematics, especially non-Euclidian geometry and the particular sciences pertaining to theoretical physics.

TheContradiction said:
Actually, I just like big words :D .

Seriously though, Okapidragon seems to have waaaay more knowledge on this stuff than me.  The benefits of study.

Me, I could never absorb much from books meaning my strength lies in doing something practially before I can understand it.  One of the few excpetions to this is what I remember from Maths in School.  But then again, I guess the stuff I remembered was mostly from practical application in exercises :D .

TheContradiction said:

Algebra I, II, Intermediate and College Algebra, Geometry, Statistics, and that's it for the mathematics... I hate math.  Okapi, how can you like math?! It's evil, evil, evil!

Math sucks as far as you have gone, and then gets good. :laugh2

But seriously, you don't like statistics? Anyway, my stepmother started teaching me Algebra and Calculus when I was a tiny fellow, so I had a serious head start, and it really helps that, having excellent spatial intelligence and a much greater interest in physics, maths are more than numbers for me, they are sort of interlocking shapes. Obviously I need to work through equations and the such, not being one of those crazy idiot-savant fellows, but bare numbers just kind of work themselves out for me. And I really enjoy statistics.

Speaking of my stepmother, Pat, she has a very similar way of learning. You can explicitly describe something or write it down or draw a diagram, and she can't figure it out, but if she does it, she learns quickly.

Geometry and statistics are the best. Of course, geometry has a heavy bearing in my recent studies in the Kabbalah, and I don't think I'd like it as much otherwise.

Also, I think it is neat how this thread has gone from being about BW2 to being about ME!!!.

Back