SERIOUSLY HOW DO U EDIT A CREATURE MESH

zero

Hi ive edited skins using pain and the skin utility no problem

but when i use milk shape and the plugins to modify the mesh (not the bones!) one of two things happens

A) the creature becomes a screwed up mess like someone just threw it up, the textures are there and it still works but its just a messed up ball of shapes

B) when exporting i use the original mesh like the readme suggests along with placing the original files and modded files in the same folder and the crature appears however with no textures. and the part that is modded becomes invisible.

i really have some great ideas so if anyone could help me or show me a tutorial you would be a life saver

why do most people seem to avoid this subject on here. some people obviously know how to do it. you could make some awesome mods if someone just did a tutorial

I can only guess it's because there's pretty much no one left who has done enough mesh work to be of any help.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but from keeping an eye on these forums for many years, I can say that most people who got interested in this, discovered how to put lots of spikes on a creature and gave up soon after that.

I never got into this myself, so I'm no help to you I'm afraid :( .

Again, from my faded memories of previous threads about modelling, I believe no one tool was ever consistent enough in outputting a non-buggy creature.  I believe that's what turned a lot of people off it.

Back in the day though, there were lot's of different creature models.  I even remember a Bender Creature from Futurama, but like most modded creatures, he was buggy in some way or other, but there were screen shots of him in the actual game, so someone got that far at least :D .

I imagine that there must be some tricks to it in order to avoid the big problems you describe.  My fear is that there is no one left on these forums who knows what they are  :( .

A) the creature becomes a screwed up mess like someone just threw it up, the textures are there and it still works but its just a messed up ball of shapes

Creatures can not have more or less mesh / vertexes then they started with - the game checks this for some reason. You can only change the location, or their length, you are not allowed to add any. And if you do, you must also remove one somewhere else. Which - if you do - can cause animation faults.

B) when exporting i use the original mesh like the readme suggests along with placing the original files and modded files in the same folder and the crature appears however with no textures. and the part that is modded becomes invisible.

I do not know why that happens. However, I believe this is just a skin / texture flaw, and not so much a mesh fault. You should try and re-edit the file, this time, instead of the mesh, edit the texture. Then use the 'old' texture, to replace it onto the file you edited. -- That is, if the texture files use the same as the model file?

ill try the second option but i havent been adding new vertices

while i was trying to get this to work as a quick test all i did was highlight the leopards head and stretch the mesh so it had a long neck when i use the old file like it suggests you can clearly see that the modification to the creature is there its just the texture isent

even if i import a creature and then export it straight away without changing a thing it still goes inside out

You do it veeeeeery carefully. I dunno what exactly the difference is, but I back it up constantly and change it in tiny increments when I alter a mesh.

Ok how tiny is tiny.  if i make a fingernail a tiny bit longer is that ok or are we talking even more subtle

also what method of exporting does this work with. exporting directly. or using an existing file as well

It has been many years since I used Milkshape, so I can't help you with particulars, however, I would like to remind you that every creature uses not one, but seven models. If you are viewing the creature in-game, you will see the base model affected by three other models, depending on its stats (good/evil, fat/thin, and strong/weak). These will modify the creature based on the secondary model's differences from the base model, so if you are changing the base model but using originals for the modifying models, you could end up with something very strange indeed.

Based on what I can remember from my experiences long ago in a galaxy far away, it might help to complete the model in milkshape, then make and save the six modifying models as well (or just resave the base one with the required names) before trying to use it in-game.

Ah, yes, a couple other things (not, I think, related to your current problem, but important).

It is far easier, when possible, to only change the good and evil models, as changing a base model requires you to change all the other models (even if you are only re-saving the base one). Changing the base model also has much more annoying consequences in that, even if it looks fine, the program will think that the model is all scrunched up in the center. This makes it hard to click on the creature (for rewarding/punishing, and for attacking/blocking in fights) and causes eyes and hair to appear in the middle of the model (best if you can edit the cbn to simply remove them). To make up for that, you have to make sure the texture has eyes painted on, or the poor creature will be eyeless.

Also, the base, good and evil forms all have textures, but fat, thin, strong and weak don't.

Back