Questions about catching

Ampersand

So...  You can apparently catch fireballs, but I don't ever seem to be able to.  I've checked by slowing time and trying to grab one...  And the tooltip displayed the action as "tap" rather than catch, and clicking it yielded no results at all.

I'm also pretty bad at throwing in general, and if it's really something you can give tips for then those would be appreciated.  I'd also like to know if there's any good way to teach your creature how to catch rocks and such and throw them right back.

Practice practice practice. That's the number one tip for anything you try, but for catching fireballs, there is a little trick. If you conjure up the fireball from your own worship power, and then move the fireball in your hand over the flying fireballs, then those fireballs simply fall into your hand, and I think that if you throw them back, it splits apart into the amount of fireballs you've caught, like a fireball shotgun.

As for throwing, no tips there, I'm awful at it myself.

Catching for the creature. This is a little bit of a tough one. Don't start with rocks, number one. If you do, then it'll take a while for him to realize what you're trying to do, and by that time, he'll be very hurt, and afraid of rocks. Start with a beach ball first, because it's a ball, and he knows what balls are for. As he figures it out, upgrade him to trees. Once he has trees figured out, then you can play catch with him with rocks.

Hope that sort of helped. Good luck!

Well, I started with rocks because he actually used to be able to catch them...  And either from time or swapping creatures, he's forgotten about it.  He didn't, however, seem able to catch the ball.  Probably because he seemed to learn to catch from villagers playing soccer on Kilroy's training map...

I have never tried to catch a Fireball, but I have seen Lethys do it or maybe
it was after touch - I don't know.
Anyway, I was on land three when I was dropping a Fireball on Chugworth (Lethys creature) when even 
though Lethys was no where near the Fireball - it literally went straight back into the air!
The trick to throwing is first have your hand a reasonable ways away from your camera and slowly move
your hand back towards the camera and lurch your hand forward, but not too fast.
If you want it to go far then lurch your hand far.
If you want it to land on a nearby house then control your lurch by a lot.
When it does throw you'll notice that your god hand will move very
slowly like it's moving through hardening bacon fat and it will kind of tilt back and forth.
A good place to practice is the gods playground because it doesn't change your alignment. 
The first time one of my creatures caught something it was by mistake, I was trying to throw a sheep into the village and directly behind it was my Wolf who caught it, but didn't throw it back.
So, my advice is, like Alkatraz2212, to throw little things, like Beach Balls or Teddy Bears, to your creature to play catch and maybe hold off on the rocks.
Bowling Balls might also damage him, I know they damage buildings.
Hope this helps!  :)                   

Maybe a good start is to have your creature in his pen  and start to play ball.
Most of mine seem to enjoy kicking a ball  against the temple door. A game of  catch is a bit random as the seem to throw too hard.

If you conjure up the fireball from your own worship power, and then move the fireball in your hand over the flying fireballs, then those fireballs simply fall into your hand, and I think that if you throw them back, it splits apart into the amount of fireballs you've caught, like a fireball shotgun.

I never knew about that. :shocked I wish I could play the game and try it myself...

Anyway, some throwing tips. First, practice using the silver scroll in land 1 that has you throw rocks at a pillar. You can do this over and over. Second, I recommend throwing as close to the target as possible if your accuracy is off. You can just push forward a little when you throw it so the object just sort of flies low on the ground, or rolls if it's a rock. Third, sometimes throwing at an angle other than forward can help. I can throw pretty well side-to-side, and sometimes diagonally. :cool:

Teaching your creature to catch... I usually don't bother, unless I'm using them as a pet and want them to catch toys. The chance of them being in the right spot at the right time to catch an incoming rock or fireball is unlikely, and even then there's no guarantee they will catch it.

Number one tip for throwing from me is the aftertouch. I sucked at throwing until I figured it out. If you keep moving your hand toward the object after releasing it, it will spin forward and go farther, skiping instead of bouncing; Pulling to the left or right makes it slow down and curve slightly as it flies; And pulling back slows it down and makes it roll back slightly.

You can't catch a fireball that you threw, at least not in the patched version (in the unpatched version I used to trash entire villages by dropping and picking up one single fireball), nor, I think, one produced by an enemy or a creature, but you definitely can catch the fireballs on Land 4 (slow down time, and click and hold just in front of the fireball, or do what I do and line up the camera so they are flying AT you and not PAST you, so they stay in one place and get bigger on the screen), and you can cast fireball but just absorb the others instead of tossing yours; The fireball in your hand grows, and will eventually be like a small star, covering half the land, but when you toss it it turns back into one small, regular fireball, except it has a very large glow on the ground. Or you can shake it off and absorb the prayer power, but again it only counts as one.

I find it considerably easier to catch the fireballs when one is already being held.  I ended up saving the village on Level 4 like that! 

Alternatively you can do the bell puzzle before the real fireballs come down. Much easier, faster, and it ends in you being able to actually build a big village. :p

I never really tried that much to catch the fireballs on Land 4. 

Brought a whole load of Miracle shield bubbles with me and had 75% of my population at the worship site until I got the bell trial done.

With a line of small shields between my village and the big gate (where all the fireballs came from).  My village developed in relative peace.

As the fireballs only ever hit one of the small shields (as opposed to one massive one), the drain from my worship site was much smaller.

When you can, it's great to think outside the box in solving a problem :yes .

I'm with Okapi on this one doing the bells is the best way.
I generally  send my creature to convert the  Japs as well.
For those unfamiliar with the land.
1. Build the Temple ASAP ignore  all else. While this  is happening send your  creature to the Jap village  to convert them.
2. Once the Temple is built the bells challenge  is available  complete it ASAP and the fireballs never get to  the main  part of your village. The Jap village once taken by your creature will give you about an extra 10-15m to complete  the Bells.
My general strategy is  then  to build  up the Jap village and almost abandon the start village. This lets you do the other quests  at your leisure.

I caught all the fireballs, usually, while my creature helped the village, then built a whole separate little village to use for conversion... But I'm insane, so maybe my example is not a good one! XD

Pat, I used the series of small bubbles once to defend when Lethys started attacking my village with that weird glitch, I managed to survive. :D But mostly I realized that I could use a single small one as a bumper to bounce rocks across the land, as the bounce adds trajectory and speed to the object thrown, making it useful to wreck villages in Land 5.

While not as advanced as your tactics, that was indeed the purpose of mine also -  a line of small shields on Land 4 would bounce back the fireballs rather than letting them reach the village.

The shilds weren't actually over any building at all, but just acted like a barricade between me and oblivion :yes .

I also used the line of shields tactic more traditionally on the Greek village on land 5 as the very last line of Mega Blasts kept destroying some houses in that village and the dumb villagers kept going to try and fix them:)banghead), killing themselves in the process.  That meant I couldn't grow that village very affectively unless I found a way to protect them from their own Lemming tendencies.

Huh...  I never really did understand how aftertouch worked.  Thanks for all the advice, everybody.

Back