Problem with v1.20 patch...

Lapsus

Hello Everybody!

I am having a rather large problem with my copy of Black & White... I just installed the v1.20 patch, and now the game will not even start for me! I recently updated my graphics drivers to the latest version, and reinstalled the game in an attempt to fix the problem, but I can only start the patched version ONCE, right after installing the game and the patch. I really would like to play again, but I don't really want to try and re-install everything again [3rd try so far] to get it to run! When I click on the desktop shortcut, start from the CD, or use 'runblack.exe' in the program folder it shows a small white square in the middle of the screen and then shows the frame of a window for a split-second. if it helps, I can list my system specs here as well.

I hope that you can help me resolve this issue without my having to lose my creature, I've become rather attached to the little beast.

What you "seem" to have is the classic splash screen crash.. this a well known issue but just how you got it is a mystery.
This crash is caused by your optical disc drivers nothing to do with your B&W1 install.
When he game starts it checks for a valid disk if your disc drive misreads the "safedisc" then it fails.
Several fixes are available, Update your drives drivers, get a patch from Microsoft or Safedisc or others.

Thank you Gremxula!

I did not even suspect that my CD drive might be the problem ^^;
I swapped it with a newer drive from one of my other computers instead of spending a lot of time searching for drivers, and that fixed the problem. I've had the drive in since the first time I built this computer, and I guess I forgot to upgrade the drive along with the rest of it.
Black & White now seems to load faster as well, so that's another bonus.

On a semi-related note, if I were to make an image of my CD and mount it to a virtual drive (~200x) would that make it load even faster?

I don't think that will make it load that much faster. Unlike BW2 which loads to a menu page, B&W loads up all of your profile on startup. And if you've been on a land for a while it can take some time just loading that up.

To get the game to boot to the skirmish map screen, bypassing the profile load. Right click on the B&W desktop icon and choose properties. In the top box labeled target add a space after the last double quotes and then add this  /skirmish . Now when you click on the icon to launch B&W you will go straight to the skirmish map menu.

I do not suppose, Kay, that loading right to the Skirmish map select will allow you to continue skirmishes that you were playing before you quit?

You do need to start a map and then go into the saved games room.

Sorry, Kays. So, you can save skirmishes? Save game room? I haven't looked at that room since I first started playing back in 03. Wow, one day and I'm already finding out new things. Thank you!

There's no menu which will take you to a saved game so that needs to be done in the saved games room. As well as saving a game, including skirmish maps.

Here's a nice tool if you have multiple profiles.

http://www.bwfiles.com/files/filedriver.php?action=file&id=196

Back