Pc-s

CaMpEr

Ok people What kind of Pc-s do you have or maybe laptops, and what are you planing to buy or upgrade it with.+ post specs.
I have a Acer Laptop
2.6 Ghz
512 RAM
80 GB
DvD/CD
Video Card- SUXS AND YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH

Planing on getting a  Alienware - Aurora 3500
AMD Athlon™ 643000+ Processor
512MB Single Channel DDRPC-3200 SDRAM 400MHz
80GB 7200RPM SATA w/ 8MB Cache
ATI RADEON™9550SE 128MB
Integrated 5.1Audio with Digital Out
+ a RAM update
Im shure that ill be abel to Play BnW2 on it dont you think ? :laugh2

Just so you can play BW2 :D

It's a nice looking system, but I would recomend that you stay away from the 9550SE. It's a pretty slow card. That is unless your planning on upgrading it in the future. Here's a list of specs for all availble video cards. The BW (bandwidth) numbers will give you a goood comparison to other cards. As well at the bottom of the page is a listing of performance reviews of the various cards.

Oh, make sure it's got a DVD drive :p

Ok so Kays what video card can you recommend for me ?And why do i need a DvD i have the game, but it's on 4 CD-s it's not the DVD version.

Edit:
Kays i found this card don't know if its good, but it seems good
MSI Geforce FX5500 8X 256MB TV/DVI AGP Video Card
256 MB
pixel shade + vertex shader 2.0........
I thing thats good, or is it ?  :suspect

Edit 2 :
or this maybe  :suspect
PowerColor ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB TV/DVI/CRT AGP
Im happy

Ok, so you did get the US version of the game then. :)

Of the two card listed above I would go with the Radeon 9600XT.

A ok, but are you shure it's gonna play good. ???  :suspect
O and why ?

It should play good, there are a number of people here using a 9600 card. If you want it to play great then you'll have to spend some more money on a video card.

My reason for choosing the 9600XT over the 5500SE is that it's about half again as fast as the 5500.

Ok so I went looking around to find some nice parts. How does this sound??? ?
Video card : GF FX 6600 (256 MB) Pixel + Vertex Shader 3.0 :yes
Motherboard : 915 Gev, .... no idea, but i know that it's 3.2 GHz DDR-2 - no clue about the DDR2
Hard drive : 80 GB
DvD/CD Writer - Sony
The cover Looks like a BMW :laugh2
Monitor - Acer LCD 17 inc
1GB RAM DDR-2 now here in the RAM the DDR2 means faster than DDR
So..... What do you think ??? ? :p
I think it's allsome.

That sounds nice also. The 6600 depending on the model is either a bit faster or a lot faster than a 9600.

From what I've seen DDR2 is just a bit quicker than plain DDR.

Not totally sure about all my stuff but this is what I can tell you:

160 GB of space
2.5 ghz
1024 RAM
Radeon 9800 Pro
DVD drive
DVD burner
Windows XP

uhhhh...that's all I really know.

Here's what I have now. Got this three years ago:

Intel Pentium IV 2.4 GHz
Asus P4PE motherboard
MSI Geforce 4 Ti 4800SE 128 MB AGP
1 GB PC 2700 RAM

I was thinking of buying this in the near future.

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice Core 1 GHz FSB
Asus A8N-SLI motherboard
BFG Geforce 6800GT 256 MB PCI Express overclocked ... considering an SLI setup with two of them
1 GB PC 3200 RAM

I can run BnW2 just fine, but am missing a good portion of eye candy. It doesn't pay to get a newer card because I'm limited by the motherboard. My only reservation (besides some money issues) is some games don't seem to run very well on newer systems. I don't feel like building this and getting problems that others are reporting on similar systems. It would be very disheartening if some things ran better on the old comp than this one. I'm not just talking about BnW2 either, it's just a trend I've been noticing lately with others as well.

[alphaBeta] said:
I was thinking of buying this in the near future.

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice Core 1 GHz FSB
Asus A8N-SLI motherboard
BFG Geforce 6800GT 256 MB PCI Express overclocked ... considering an SLI setup with two of them
1 GB PC 3200 RAM

I can tell you, without a doubt, that setup will chew up and spit out BW2 (and ANY new game) without hesitation.. :woot

I built the following about 3 weeks ago:
AMD Athlon64 3800+ (Venice core)
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
2x eVGA GeForce 6800 GT 256MB PCI-E (2 cards, SLI enabled)
2x 1GB TWINX PC3200C2 Dual Channel (2 matched 1GB sticks)
Antec 550W (SLI ready) Power Supply

:yourock:

Wow, nice build. Thanks for the feedback too.  :)

I figured when I was matching components that this would work great for newer games. I'm just a little worried about these random glitches that seem to be plaguing high end systems for no apparent reason. I'm sure that won't stop me though.

What do you think of SLI? Is it worth it? I've done research into it, and find it supposedly makes the biggest difference at higher resolutions. What are your thoughts? Do you have any issues with airflow given these two cards? I hear they tend to run pretty hot. I've been trying to find a good case to avoid heat problems.

Welcome to the forums btw.  :D

[alphaBeta] said:
Wow, nice build. Thanks for the feedback too.  :)

I figured when I was matching components that this would work great for newer games. I'm just a little worried about these random glitches that seem to be plaguing high end systems for no apparent reason. I'm sure that won't stop me though.

What do you think of SLI? Is it worth it? I've done research into it, and find it supposedly makes the biggest difference at higher resolutions. What are your thoughts? Do you have any issues with airflow given these two cards? I hear they tend to run pretty hot. I've been trying to find a good case to avoid heat problems.

Welcome to the forums btw.  :D

Thanks for the welcome  :D
I was planning to properly introduce myself but when I saw your post and how close your future specs were to mine, I had to jump in and speak up.

I'm not sure what glitches you're referring to, but in general, I think technology is advancing so rapidly that designers/manufacturers are having a harder time ensuring their products are as compatible with everything else as they did in days gone by. 
If you think about it, by the time someone designs and manufactures (for example) a motherboard to certain specs - and then actually releases it for retail purchase - the other components being connected to the motherboard could have gone through several revisions and may not be as compatible with each other as initially intended. Take a gander at the number of BIOS revisions for any given motherboard since it was released...  :shocked

There's also the argument that PC's these days are getting easier and easier to build so we're seeing a lot more "do-it-yourself'ers" than before and without trying to sound overtly elitist - there are a great many people that lack the knowledge to completely build, tweak, and troubleshoot a PC to get it running glitch free.

Now, as I step down from my soap-box...  :p

SLI - Well, I was a huge nay-sayer of SLI about 4 weeks ago. I simply couldn't justify the costs given the relative benefits. It seemed to me, as you mentioned, that it was an excessive amount of money to spend simply to have more eye candy at higher resolutions. There were numerous reviews, articles, tests, what have you, that proved it wasn't worth it for the average gamer or anyone who didn't live and die by 1600x1200, 4x-8x AA gaming...
Needless to say, I was already dead set on getting the Asus A8n-SLI Premium motherboard (I am THE Asus fanboy, have been for years..) and since it has two PCI-E 16x slots, I figured I'd get a good card and be happy with the knowledge that I had room to add another if Fate chose to make a fool out of me.
When the time came to bite the bullet and buy the parts, Fate, my longtime nemesis, was cruel enough to place the eVGA GeForce 6800 GT 256MB PCI-E at a price point that was too good to simply buy just one. Being the frugal shopper that I like to think I am, I had to buy two.
Long story not much shorter, I have SLI enabled and I'll never go back. What else can I say other than 2 is, infact, twice as good as 1...  :cool:  I have yet to fully test or benchmark my rig, so I cannot substantiate any claims that 2 cards = twice the glory, but I can say that you absolutely have to see it in action to fully appreciate the wonder that is SLI... :p

As for heat issues..
I have the Antec Performace PlusView II case with an Antec TruePower 2.0 550W power supply and 2 additional Antec 80mm fans installed (mounted up front for intake) and the Thermaltake  CL-P0075 heatsink/fan combo.
I'm running 38C CPU temp at full load and 28C-31C CPU temp at idle. That's with a room temp of 68-75 F.
I have yet to see my case temperature rise above 34C and I can hear my cat breathing 18 feet away - so it's quiet and cool even with two cards and two fans running. Score one for Antec, if you catch my drift..
The Asus motherboard does a great job of spacing the cards out so they aren't on top of one another (a common problem from what I've read.)

For reference - I had (previous to this rig):

Falcon Northwest Fragbox (series 1)
2.4 Ghz Intel P4
Motherboard of unknown origin
1GB PC2700 memory
BFG Tech GeForce 5200 Ultra 128MB
230W? Power Supply of unknown origin

Ran like a top for a few years, she saw just about every DVD-RW drive on the market and hard drives ranging from 40GB to 250GB and that darn thing never complained, BSOD'd on me, locked up, lagged, you name it...
Now she'd retired to early grave and became an "email and Instant Messenger" box for the youngin's..  :angel

Oh, and I forgot to mention - I really, REALLY, like to type...sorry~!

Back