Modify .map file

TheSneak

I've tried modifying some of the .map files in my "Online Maps" folder.  I used notepad to try to add a few things.  The other players in the game have my same edits, but when I try to start the game it crashes.  Any ideas?

Uh, they have editors, don't they?

You compile (or whatever the word for this is) an existing map into it.  I don't remember what program, but I THINK it's in the downloads here.

(Then again, I haven't done it for a long time so I don't even remember if it works)

If there are map editors, I haven't been able to find them.  I've tried several from the downloads area here and they only work with the skirmish (.txt) files.

The problem with those .map files is that they contain both the map file as well as the landscape so they can't be edited with a text editor.

What I think you need to do is to strip the map stuff from that file, copy it to a text editor to make your changes and then recompile it with the proper landscape. Here is a tutorial on how to make an online map.It should give you enough to get you going and you can find World Mod here. If you can't get it to run, look for a thread on it in this forum.

Back