let's play online folks

Rodderick

Hello 2015 people. Are there still people around up for B&W? Got nostalgic and decided to install B&W again. Such good memories! Never had the chance to play it online

so, PM me and let's play :p.

Sorry Rodderick.  Players are fairly scarce on the ground these days and even fewer can get the game working online :( .

fenton_pat said:
Sorry Rodderick.  Players are fairly scarce on the ground these days and even fewer can get the game working online :( .

That's a pity indeed :(. Well, I downloaded the B&W online client from user King Warg and setting it up was really easy. if anyone reads, go here http://bwgame.wildman-productions.org and we'll test :)

I'll try get it working if you're up to play it, I'm using patch 1.1 cuz it's noice but I could upgrade if necessary.

I started a new game in B&W and I wish to complete it first before, but I would really like to play online with this client. I'll try it once I complete the game, shouldn't take too long, I'll install the multiplayer client once it's done :)

It's done, my cow is now full of ugly scars (thanks to Nemesis' creature... oh well) but it's back in shape and ready for online :) I'm on patch 1.20 . I'm going to install King Warg's client for online play and try to figure out how it works and pretty much set myself up for online play. I know there are not many people around here that are interrested in playing online or to set up anything to achieve that, but if by any chance there happens to be, I'll be ready to play online mostly Tuesday and Friday from 17h00 to 18h00 (except if I have homeworks to do) and Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoon until 17h00 (not always though since I have other things planned sometimes with my friends and girlfriend). This is my playing schedule (Quebec time) until this summer. When need be, I'll update this post to inform other players about my availability. On that note, good day my godly friends :)

*EDIT: I forgot I had things planned on every evening, so during the week I now only have one hour of spare time tuesday and friday. I'll mostly be online during the weekend. Also, even though I am currently on 1.20, I plan to upgrade to 1.30 soon, in case someone who has the p5 glove wants to play online with me. It may be unlikely, but you never know, plus there's no downside to this patch compared to 1.10 or 1.20 . If you want to play online with me with this patch, you will also need to download the p5dll.dll file and put it in the Black & White directory in order to make the game work with the patch, but don't be afraid, it's nothing complicated to do at all, you can't mess that up. You can find both the patch and the dll file in the download section of King Warg's client : http://bwgame.wildman-productions.org/index.php?action=showpage&pagename=downloads .

I might likely sometimes just get online for the sake of being online outside of the schedule I have if I can and want to, so if you want to catch me online, check on the client :)

See you :)

This may sound like a noob question as I never played Black & White online, but out of curiosity how good is the online experience and such, does it give you a challenge, do you get any extra features that are not in the singleplayer campaign?

Well, depending against who you are playing, it's actually much harder than offline. The AI isn't programmed to attack you except if your creature gets in it's influence, and it only attacks your creature, not your villages or anything else at all. Playing online however, your enemy can do exactly what you can do, so I find it way more interresting. There are only 5 things that I don't really like about online mode, but they are just small things:

1. The villages you own have a belief cap, meaning you can't get more than a certain number of belief stored in a village, which prevents big wonders from being built except with an artifact (usually it's 500 for most villages and 1000 for your starting village).

2. The creature help, things saying like "your creature is hungry, feed him" at the bottom of the screen, cannot be activated online.

3. The in-game chat function is not really efficient.

4. This is only true now and was not then, but it's a little hard to setup to be able to play online, let alone to host a game online. I'm having issues at the moment for hosting, but I can join someone's game online though.

5. You can't save an online game.

Apart from that, personally, I love the experience online. Since your enemy(ies) can do just like you can do, you must always be on your guard, or you can even play in co-op two players in one temple with one creature. Creatures also are finally legit since they can die from hunger and fatigue (the AI's creature stays alive forever) and are way more interresting since they belong and were trained by real people. However, since you cannot save an online game, you always have to play fast if you want to get somewhere, and if like me you like to take your time building and taking care of your villages and creature, it can sometimes feel a little rushed.

In the end, it's pretty much just a different feel of the game. Not better or worse than offline, just different and interresting :)

P.S.: I'm taking this moment to inform anyone interrested in playing online with me on King Warg's client that I have upgraded to 1.30, in case someone with a P-5 glove ever pops up and wants to play online. Though unlikely, we can't be sure it won't happen someday. Good day :)

1. Seems like a necessary resctirction, imagine someone building three Aztec wonders with maximum believe, not only would they have a huge influence over the map but also 1HKO you with a Megablast, I think they should've removed artifacts in online mode as they sound kind of OP.

2 I always found those messages annoying.

3 In that case why not use Skype or Teamspeak?

4 I don't know what to say here.

5 Personally I don't think it would make sense to save online, since it would possibly require the other player(s) to save their game, or be completely unfair to others if you could just join or host a session with your savegame and tear apar someone else who has just started playing online. I think it's to balance out the game somehow

Like I said, those are just minor things that I personally dislike. I would have liked to be able to be OP and artifacts are too long to create even online. I don't use artifacts myself because of that. But yeah, those are really minor and personal things.

However, I really would have liked the online mode to have a save function that would be common to all current players that could only be loaded by the same exact players, that way people could take their time building a big village if they wanted to (I am aware it's not everyone's way of playing), you don't need to fight online. When I played online with my friends some years ago we were having a lot of fun just building immense villages and living in community with the other gods, so a common save option would've been cool for that situation.

However, when the game crashes or players desynchronise during online gameplay, a save state of that game is created and when the players reconnect and want to continue this game that unfortunately crashed, there is a checkbox in the online menu that appears and when checked by all concerned players, the crashed game restarts from the point where it crashed. That's helpful :)

Back