Landscape Editor is playing up.

anglosaxon

Elder
in the "which mod would you like me to do" thread, i mentioned that i was going to start work on a skirmish map. i started it up, made a pretty awesome map, then saved it. no problems there - i could see the files, and none were missing, and suddenly, as i loaded it up again, i got this message!

notworking.jpg

i tried again. this time i made the map and saved it in three different places. maybe i made a mistake. I loaded up all three... and got the same response.

has ANYBODY had this response from the landscape editor, and know how to fix it?

thanks.

I've never tried saving to another folder. Has that worked for you in the past?

Have you tried opening an existing map?

I think this is the error i got, can't fully remeber, have you renamed the files at all?

i havent renamed any files. i tried loading them by clicking on the actual file but that didnt work either. maybe if i just reinstall the map editor itll work.

oh, yes, that's the message I used to get whenever I tried to save a land with walls around a town...

I have no idea how to counteract it though, I just stopped putting walls around towns...

ive fixed the problem, but for some annoying reason, i have to save the file in a new destination evrey time i save it. so autosaves are out of the question. :(

its VERY buggy. i cant build walls otherwise the thing just crashes, and i have to start again - so i have to save it every 5 minutes in a new save destination. very annoying. :rolleyes

and sometimes when i load my map, the objects have just dissapeared, rendering lots of hard work useless. ive built the norse castle about 5 times now, and its getting on my nerves.  :angry dont worry, ill get through it and ill make the map, regardless of how much of my sanity it costs me.

how did lionhead make an entire campaign with such a stubborn mule of an application?

That's strange since it's normally pretty stable when I use it. ???

well i think ive got to the root of the problem. whenever i overwrite another save, all that gets saved is a weedy little .walk file and another equally small BW landscape file - (the BW landscape file is meant to be around 10MB) nothing else.

notworking2.jpg

now i have to save in a new destination each time, but the objects dont get saved at all. i have no idea why its doing this, but if anyone knows the answer, id be VERY grateful.  :worship

its not vista, i have XP. i know that vista has those sorts of problems (eg. not being able to overwrite files) but i think that it might be something to do with my computer rather than the editor.

at the moment i have a backup with no objects or anything - it works perfectly, but i cant edit the objects, visual effects, weather (ive had that problem for a LONG time), water, forests, or even the basic details such as day length and land number. i can edit the landscape, texture, vegetation, nav ribbon, and attributes(fertility, alignement.)

ill see if i can fix it. ill give you an update on monday.

Ok, I guess I can't blame the OS then.  :suspect

Well maybe not. I can't see the file extensions in the error display for some reason. Are they on?

Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View > Hide extensions for known file types. Make sure it's unchecked.

finally worked out what the problem is - the computer makes it so that every file is "read only". even if i make a new folder its attributes are set to"read only". if i try to un tick the box located on the "properties" window, and select "OK", the box will still be ticked when i open it up again.

at the moment I'm trying to find someone who knows what to do and how to get rid of it. don't worry, it shouldn't be long before things are up and running again.

anglosaxon said:
finally worked out what the problem is - the computer makes it so that every file is "read only". even if i make a new folder its attributes are set to"read only". if i try to un tick the box located on the "properties" window, and select "OK", the box will still be ticked when i open it up again.

at the moment I'm trying to find someone who knows what to do and how to get rid of it. don't worry, it shouldn't be long before things are up and running again.

This can be a problem when you copy and paste map files around; if I have to move them I will always put them in a zip folder and then drag them out of the folder to the desired location, so it will decompress the file to that location with no read only formatting. You might try setting the properties of the parent folder to non-read-only, and when it prompts you make sure you select to apply those changes to all child files and subfolders as well, although you may still have to set the file properties manually  :)

nope, that doesnt work. thanks anyway. :)

the thing is that i cant edit the read only settings. i did a bit of research and it turns out that XP is built so that all files are born read only. the only thing that people say works is if i edit some vital system files, and im not prepared to do anything rash considering i didnt buy this computer :p (and i dont have my own).

if anyone has XP, and they use the landscape editor without these hiccups, can you tell me how your computer copes with this?

Back