Just wondering how many people here use the P5 glove ? Please post Yes or No

Gremxula

Elder
The title says it all really.
I have never seen  a real one in use except the odd video on youtube.
So just how many still in use today ?
Post positive or negative use or opinions sightings etc.
Nothing is considered off topic  if about the Glove or the 1.3 patch.

Nope, never used it. Probably never will. With AR on the rise, the glove really became obsolete before it became popular.

Oh, and btw, since there's been a lot of hollow claims of patch superiourity, I'll test the patch tomorrow evening when I get home and post in a few days when I get the time. It is really rather annoying when somebody deigns to know something from a non-empirical feel test when they clearly don't have too much knowledge of how the game works, so with my somewhat 1337er skills I will thoroughly test it, with a stopwatch in hand if I need to, and post my results.

Agreeing with Okapi here.  Never used it, never will.  The P5 never was popular...and there's really not much use for it.  Natural User Interface and haptics/tactile feedback are all the rage today.  I'd like to see where NUI goes...

As far as patches go, though I've never done a multiplayer I stick with patch 1.2  It does what I need.  :rolleyes

I think I'll chip in here as I seem to find myself on a fence in this discussion ??? .

1. I've never used the P5 glove nor do I intend to
2. I've never installed patch 1.30 nor do I intend to
3. I've played online just once and that was just before the official Lionhead servers for B&W multiplayer went down.
4. Following on from 3, I've never used Hamachi or anything like it.

Given all that, I have received communications over the last while from a few different online players on this topic and while I won't name names (I'll explain in a minute), I feel it only fair to display both sides of this discussion.

Via various conversations, a good few Hamachi users have said they use patch 1.3 to play online without the P5 Glove with no ill effects.  As these are the guys playing online the most I believe (given the small size of the community), it occurs to me that if they were lying they're only shooting themselves in the foot by preventing more players from joining them in online play.

From reading threads here, I think this debate about the P5 glove is a red herring.  I actually believe that we all agree the P5 is a heap-O-crap and no one uses it.  The issue here I believe is that while official patch READMEs indicate that 1.3 only adds support for the P5, it also seems to do something to sure-up on the Multiplayer side.

To sum up the other side of the argument - for years after patch 1.3 was released, it was common understanding that it messed up multiplayer and everyone stuck to patch 1.2 as that was what everyone was using.  This is why so many of the olbie members here believe that 1.3 should not be used.

Given my complete LACK of understanding of how multiplayer works, can I ask if it is possible that while 1.3 messed up official online play via the Lionhead servers (all those years ago), could it be that it actually helps to stabilise online play via Hamachi somehow (it does operate on slightly different principles to official online play after all)?

That about sums up both sides of the argument I believe.

*Puts on referee's shirt, readies whistle and waits :p *

P.S. Almost forgot. The reason why I'm not listing the names of said online players is because of privacy concerns.  At the moment, there appears to be an issue of one or two problematic users spamming Hamachi with lots of different logins, so for the time being, the Hamachi users are trying to keep the list of good names private so that replica names can't be cooked up.  If someone else wants to join, it's sorted out via other means.  None of that is ideal, but until they knock the problem on the head, that's the approach that's being taken.

All this has the unfortunate side effect though of preventing some users posting on here to better put forward their own side of the story.  So I hope I don't annoy anyone by putting forward the clarification above.

After  some thought and  reading the various comments on several forums  reading old posts and new.

I have come to these conclusions I hope  all sides will think this is  a fair summation of the current situation.
1. Just about  nobody uses the  Glove.
2. Lionhead says in  effect that the  glove patch(1.3) is the  same as  1.2. But not  compatable with 1.2 as it adds the  P5.
3. The best patch for  playing  MP is both  :D
Really!!!  let me explain...
These days most modern computers can cope  with the added dross of the 1.3 patch without a problem so the extra  useless .dll and  CPU cycles is not  noticeable.
Older PC's would  benefit from using the 1.2 patch without  the  wasted  CPU time but  would  probably struggle  to find a game.
As there is only  the "New Guys" with 1.3 out there looking to play.
Hey did I reread that right ????
These Himachi players that are recently  problematic here are  only playing MP on some sort of "Secret list" LOL.
Sorry  I do  understand the  problems you have with informal set ups. This is why I  left  MP many years ago when  the clan system collapsed and the official servers closed.

I've gotten times and so forth in standard (single-player) play for 1.1, I have no way of doing MP at this time. Tonight I will get the times for 1.2 and 1.3 and do as thorough a scan for glitches as I can. I will also see if I can figure out exactly what changes they make, and decompile the needed .dll for 1.3. So by tomorrow we should be able to end the dispute SP-side, but someone with some initiative will have to do the same for MP. I've basically done just what I said, sitting with an external computer (my NetBook) and timing various processes, counting how many times it lags and how long the lags are, especially for complex processes like moving a hundred rocks at once or monitouring several creatures/fights, all in maximum detail. My computer is shitty and old, so if there is an observable change in performance, I should be able to see it. I'll probably also do an unpatched test, as a control, though we already all know how much 1.1 streamlines play.

1.1 and  1.2  are the same except  the added MP options.
1.3  is the same as 1.2 reportedly but not compatible with that patch.
About MP a lot of the  early players used twisted pair patch leads to create  a very simple 2 player network,  so if you can post here you can play MP if you have  2 Pc's  that share  the same  connections without Himaci or the internet.
OR mabe you don't have the time or inclination,  a bit like me these days.

Back