It's been a while! Issues with transferring savegames/profiles?

quillweave

I'm so glad to see this forum is still around! Lots of useful information here. :D So I'm hoping someone can help! I recently played Black and White and got fairly far, but something glitched (I tried installing the script editor and immediately afterwards the game started refusing to open, even after I tried removing it, although I can't uninstall it from the programs list) so I saved my profile folder, deleted and uninstalled everything and went to start anew, hopefully with my old saves.

However, the game doesn't seem to detect the saves or even the profile at all. :( I have the _N_A_M_E folder, along with everything therein, and I've put it in the 'Profiles' folder but the player doesn't show up as selectable at all. I was really proud of my creature that run and hate to start over. I'm on Windows 8, and have Black and White installed to Windows(C:)/BW1  and I'm patched to 1.2. I'd be satisfied with just being able to get my creature's mindfile, but I can't seem to find that - I even downloaded a program to recover the files I deleted and searched through them for the creature mind file and the physique file, but nada. The best have are 'Savedcreature0.rar' and such in my profile. Can anyone offer advice or a fix?

If memory serves, your creatures mind file was stored outside your profile folder and so may have been lost when you did a re-install.

The link below gives information on everything you need to do to properly back up the game before a re-install and on how to install a creature mind file into a new profile successfully.

If you've managed to recover the files, then this might help you in finding the ones you need and getting them into a new game :) .

How to Backup B&W & CI

Wow, I definitely wasn't expecting that fast of a response. Thank you! :D Unfortunately I've scoured through the recovered recycling bin files for ages - not a single sign my creaturemind file ever even existed. Was it all some wonderful dream of a nice, obedient creature?  :shocked I also checked the registry, which showed only the new profile I've quickly made. Siiigh. Ah, well. I still love this game enough to restart and learn from my mistakes - that is to say, back up! Thanks!

No worries.  We've all been there where lost one of our creatures for one reason or another.

Personally, whenever that happened me, I couldn't bring myself to pick a creature of the same type (too many memories).

Best of luck in playing/training your new creature.

Back