It Has Come to my Attention

Undead Deity

It has come to my attention that this trainer: http://www.bwfiles.com/files/file.php?id=778 for BnW2 is a virus. After downloading it and playing the game for a while I turned off my laptop. I then came back on it a few hours after to find my laptop deleting dangerous files and my game had restarted.

Just a warning.

I've used this download on 2 computers and haven't had an issue with either one.  But I'm sure one of the moderators and/or admins will look into it.

Yeah, I've seen it used on another computer, no issue. Correlation does not imply causation. It is not only possible but likely that the problem stemmed from another source and that your game restarted due either to the problem itself or simply because the game had an issue, which is accountable by the means of the trainer.

While I have my suspicions as to whether this download is the cause of your problems, it's still prudent to investigate this.

I'll have a talk with the other mods/admins about what we'll do.  I'm at work at the moment and so cannot do much myself.

Okapidragon said:
Yeah, I've seen it used on another computer, no issue. Correlation does not imply causation. It is not only possible but likely that the problem stemmed from another source and that your game restarted due either to the problem itself or simply because the game had an issue, which is accountable by the means of the trainer.
I wish that was what happened... But the trainer was the only thing I downloaded that day. Please don't think that I'm implying it is, I do now see that I typed it looking like an accusation...  :blush But, it's just a caution... that's all...

Well, it could be latent. Or a hardware issue. My laptop has to run underclocked because its as-yet-undeveloped Atom processor causes it to freeze normally. Still better than my old computer, and cheaper.  :laugh2

You don't always see the effects of malware on the day you pick it up, and it is sometimes quite subtle in how it downloads--Some in fact have a silent download, so you can click a link and pick it up. You can avoid these things with good antivirus (I use AVG--It's free for the AV and it works well) and by being careful where you go on the Internets. That doesn't mean be paranoid, just cautious.  :p But the fact that this particular download has been used b others and caused no problems means it is likely benign, in fact pretty much certain--I've checked the .bat. It does nothing other than what it should. If it was, in fact, the cause, it could be that you have something else gong on in BW2 that is incompatible with the trainer (which seems fairly unpolished) and is causing a fatal error, in other words, either shuts down the program or freezes/crashes your machine.

Back