Is it possible to save and load a multiplayer game?

Never heard of it being done.
Who would save it and how could it be restarted.
The whole idea of the win conditions is to ensure the game  produces  a winner at the  end  of the agreed time limit. This applies to to all MP games played with the correct v1.2 (clan) patch.
Other versions  of the game will be different the earlier patches  left the MP as buggy as hell.  So if you game is 1.0,1.1 or 1.3 you are playing an unfixed  MP game.
Additional info.
In the order they were released.
Pre Release.  1.3 added support for the VR glove. (free but needs .dlls  from the glove driver disc to work)
1.0 the original game.1.1 many bug fixes. (free)
Patch Remover (free)  restores the game back to original  for the many that just installed the highest patch number they could find.
1.2 includes all 1.1 fixes and  MP fixes and improvements. (free)
1.23 the Creature Isle expansion. (Paid for)

I used the 1.3 patch with no problems... My sister did to, before her comp got wiped.

Nobody said there were problems with 1.3 if you have the required .DLL but is just a patch for VR glove users, That just wastes CPU time if you  don't actually have the glove  in use.
BUT the 1.3 patch is not the best for MP.
If you use the glove in single player you need 1.3
If you  want to play MP properly then you  need 1.2.
Sorry but it is that simple.
Before you reply that  1.3 is what everybody uses yes I know about  that " Noob V Noob" thing after 2-3weeks they are gone.
Just as a matter of interest. I have been working with  PC's  since  '89 and  would  really want to know  how "her comp got wiped" .

Very few viruses will wipe a PC they need the host to continue the  infection on to others.

If the 1.3 patch has everything that the 1.2 patch has, then why not use it? It doesn't start the things for the P-5 glove with out it, that would be simply stupid. I've used it simply because I want to MP. I've done multiplayer with 1.2 AND 1.3, and never noticed any difference.

The 1.3 patch came out before the other patches it dose not include the contents of patches of a lower number, it  is only to give's  compatibility for the VR glove.
The 99% of people  who use the 1.3 patch in  MP are those  who got  an illegal version with it  already installed or  idiots that can't read all the warnings and install it anyway without  having the VR glove installed.
Just think if 1.3 had  all of the previous you would have  the  Creature Isle Expansion because that is  patch v1.23. See the above patch list.

1: Untrue, installing 1.3 updated both my, AND my sister's games.
2: 1.23 was an expansion, not a patch, and thus to get it you'd have to buy it!
3: Never seen you online, so how do you know that everyone is a supernoob, eh?.

I gave up MP about 7-8y ago when the proper tournaments finished.
Back then We had Teams (Clans)  and leagues , on the proper servers.
Now it is just a few people playing each other almost at random.
The  question that started this thread would never be asked in  a properly organised game because you use the the  win conditions set up and agreed before the match is started. 
From memory of the last times I tried to play MP.99% of people who play MP these days just play until one player is defeated because they  play with 1.3.
Have a look at the readme for  patch 1.2 then you might  see what I am saying.
If you could post the Readme for 1.3 then  I could see what you are saying  "from memory" according to Lionhead it just added  compatibility for the glove  and there was no need for it. My copy is just an .exe file.
To save you the trouble if you haven't got 1.2 here is a copy of the Readme. Can't attach the file  so I will have to paste it in.............

Black & White Patch v1.2 Readme 17th May 2002 ***UNSUPPORTED***
=============================================

Improvements:

1) Multiplayer winning conditions
=================================
It is now possible to choose from a set conditions to win the game. Each of these winning conditions have a value that can be set, i.e. Kill 1 villager or kill 200 villagers.

The condition list to choose from is:

Number of villagers you kill
Number of villagers eaten by Creature
Number of villagers born in a players town
Number of houses built by a player in a town
Number of wonders built by a player
Amount of food in Town Store (s)
Amount of wood in Town Store (s)
Number of towns taken over
Amount of prayer power generated
Number of buildings a player has smashed
Number of buildings your creature has smashed
Amount of belief in you in the world
Number of new towns you build. A town consists of a Town Centre, a Town Store and at least one house people can live in
Number of villagers converted
Number of trees grown

When a condition is met in a multiplayer game, it is then "done". i.e. If your aim is to have 40,000 wood in all of your Town Stores and you do so then remove 10,000 wood from your Town Stores, the condition is still completed.

You can mix and match as many winning conditions as you like and change the values.

Games now have a time limit, ranging from 10 minutes to 24 hours.

The first person to complete all winning conditions wins the game.
The order in which other people win the game is judged on what percentage of winning conditions have been completed. For example:

A three player game has two winning conditions, Kill 10 villagers and build 6 houses, therefore:

2 winning conditions mean each winning condition is worth 50%.
If you have to kill 10 villagers, each villager is therefore worth 5%.
And if you build houses, each house is worth 8.3%.

Player 1 completes these winning conditions and wins.
Player 2 has killed 1 villager (5% of the total winning condition list) and built 3 houses (25% of the total winning condition list). This means he has completed 30% of the winning conditions.
Player 3 has killed 9 villagers (45% of the total winning condition list) and has not built any houses.

Player 2 comes second (even though he has only a bit of one winning condition), and player 3 comes third.

In the event of a draw for any place, the tie is broken by the amount of influence you have at the end of a game (i.e. if Player 2 had completed 50% and player 3 had completed 50%, whoever had the most influence would win).

If the time limit runs out, whoever has the most percentage of winning conditions complete wins the game. In the event of a draw for any place, the above tie rule is applicable.

2) Clan support
===============
With the release of this patch comes full clan support.
To select a clan to play for, you need to be the leader of a team in the multiplayer front end. Click on the clan tab, then click on your name. A list of clans should appear beneath. Select the clan you wish the team to represent and click "Use clan". You can revert back to being a group of individuals by clicking "Don't use clan". Selecting a clan game means:

-The clan selected for a team will receive points, instead of the individuals on that team

-The clan creature will be used, instead of the creature of the leader of the team. This creature is downloaded from the bwgame.com servers when you start playing, and uploaded at the end of a game. Deciding on which clan creature you will use is done when you register a clan.

For more information on clan games, please visit http://www.bwgame.com

3) Player/clan points
=====================
When playing on the Internet, it is possible to gain points for doing so. This links into our ranking system, viewable at http://www.bwgame.com .
It is weighted so that if you beat someone who has more points than you, you will gain more points than if he beats you. This way, there is no point for someone at the top to try and beat someone at the bottom; he will gain barely any points. Players have individual points, and clans have group points (the members of a clan's points are not linked to their individual points).

4) Other patch changes
======================
Please view the file readme-patch-v110.txt in your Black & White directory for other changes included in this patch.

Software (c) 2002 Lionhead Studios Ltd. Black & White, Lionhead and the Lionhead logo are trademarks of Lionhead Studios Ltd. Electronic Arts, EA GAMES and the EA GAMES logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts Inc. in the US and/or other countries. All rights reserved. EA GAMES(TM) is an Electronic Arts(TM) brand

Microsoft Outlook, DirectX and Direct3D are trademarks or registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation, Inc. AOL is a registered trademark of America Online Inc. Permedia is a trademark of 3D Labs, Inc., Ltd. nVidia is a registered trademark of nVidia Corporation. Matrox is a registered trademark of Matrox Electronic Systems Ltd. Voodoo Banshee is a trademark or registered trademark of 3Dfx Interactive, Inc. in the USA and in other select countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Lionhead Studios Ltd is not responsible for the content of any external links.

Please do a little research.
I will not provide links because this  could  cause bias.... but  if you look 2 or  more sites review the  1.3 patch in march  2001. Patch 1.2  was out  13 months  later.

Google VR Glove B&W or your own choice and see what you get.
This is exactly why I  don't  play with the 1.3 players.

Yes  I know  and realise I was remembering  the  mouse and thinking glove.
It is also true that the 1.3 patch is not compatible with the  latest MP patch which is what most people  would play if given  a choice.
This thread is  about saving  MP games.
OK my memory failed me on  certain specifics but  it  was right with the general principal.
1.2 is the  best for MP if you are  not tied to a glove, many more  game  options, that many 1000's played before on the old system.
1.3 is the only option for the  glove or  if you want to play the basic unimproved game , that fine  with me if you want  to do that.
Just don't  think that it is a better way to play.
check this link http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/blackwhite/index.html
Basicly 1.3 gives you the  working glove but  screws you for the improved MP.

Look you know best just get on  with it. Someone should let LIONHEAD know.
Ignore what others  have been saying for years.
It dose not matter anyway as  B&W is now just about dead.
Just a shame  Lionhead dose not  know what the game  they created  can do for you.
THE 1.3 PATCH is not compatible with the 1.2 patch.
1.3 gives you the  VR glove use.
1.2 is the latest and best MP version for 99.99% of people  without the  glove the others well?????
Just enjoy  what you  want to do.
I really can't be bothered with this  kind of argument any more the whole issue was settled years ago  but noobs keep wanting to prove LH and the rest wrong so be it.
I give up trying to help you have  a better game. 
No more posts from me.

I've got to side with Grem here, and as you surely know from your obvious picking through his past posts and replies that is not a common occurence. He's pretty much the veteran expert, and if he gets some facts wrong it's from being rusty, not from a lack of knowledge on the subject. And as far as the patches go, he's right. Even if the 1.3 patch DOES have all the features of 1.2 (which I believe it does), it also has extraneous additional dross that is only useful if you are using the special glove controller, P5. So all it does is slow down loading time and take a little extra space on your hard disc, making it impractical and inefficient.

As for the actual main topic, I myself have no experience in multiplayer whatsoever, though Grem does, but even if it is possible to save a multiplayer game, that seems to rather go against the whole concept, doesn't it? Unless you were not expressing what you meant by "save" explicitly enough. And I am very interested to here where you got this religious GOSPEL ("TRUTH") on BnW that wasn't Kayssplace. If there indeed is such a place where such help can be had, as the largest surviving community for the game we need to know about it to improve our resources.

EDIT: Oh, and btw, look into logical bias, especially as it applies to placebo effect. For the same reason that red cars speed more, green kitchenware makes better food and objects with a big number like 3000 after their names run more efficiently, higher version numbers, even if the software is identical, will always be faster, smoother and better. It's not actually a superiourity in the software, but a flaw in your perception. Gain an ounce of self-awareness before you call a stranger "dumb."

Ok.

I'm gonna take my life in my own hands and step in here.

Firstly - Lant, would I be correct in saying that the other community you refer to is via groups on Hamachi playing B&W (or perhaps some other software allowing you to play B&W online)?  If so, then perhaps Okapi's suggestion isn't all that bad and if we had a topic here with better information on how online players can access it, it might be helpful in guiding player on how to play online than with the limited community we have here.

Secondly - everyone quit it with this 1.2 Vs 1.3 argument and start another topic about it if you must.  I'm caught on time, otherwise I'd go to the trouble of splitting out all the O.T. talk of this into another topic for you.  You guys can at least be civil about this and stop trying to one-up each other (whether it's via sarcasm or by calling each other "dumb", etc.).  It's a valid topic, but surely it's one that can be discussed rationally and calmly.  If you don't cut it out here and stick to the topic at hand (and only that topic), I'm gonna have to lock this.

Thirdly - to get this topic back on track, I believe this is about saving a Multiplayer session.  Taking this to a logical conclusion, I would assume what the request meant was if you could save a session on a map that you had with other players such that you could resume that same session at a later date if all the players were available again?  Is that right?

Thanks for getting back on topic (kinda  :) ).

However if I was right about what the original topic was, can you explain your answer on whether it's possible to save a multiplayer session or not here, so others can see it?  If I can find some time, I'll clean up this topic so they don't have to read through the whole argument to read the answer.

As for 1.30, the reason I recommended a separate thread is that this debate has gone on across a few topics now and I'd like it to at least be contained in one topic as opposed to it hijacking others.  The argument dies down until someone asks a question relating to multiplayer and then it all kicks off again :( .  This thread was a perfect example of a legitimate question being spoiled by this argument (which also needs to be settled fairly as well).

If there is something else you want to talk to me about, then by all means, PM me and I'll see what I can do :yes .

I know I said I wouldn't post  but...
Successful  Save dose  not appear to  be possible.
Just a few  calm observations and  correcting both my  and others claims.
1.2 is the last dedicated MP patch.
The  P5 VR glove was only on retail sale for a  short period several  years ago
1.3 adds compatibility for the P5 VR glove  that is  all.
1.3  will break the  game if  you don't get the .dll either off the P5 install disc  or downloading it.
When  MP was popular years ago the P5 glove did not exist so we all used 1.2.
The Glove never  caught  on virtually nobody used it for  B&W the only time I can remember someone saying they had one was on  Lionsource the biggest ever fansite for B&W but only  for German  speakers.
OK this is  a cue for a new thread.

Look just post what you have to say.
I will listen all info is good info.
I tried to  save and resume a game  on  LAN it  didn't  work  out of  SYNC errors. I can only speak from experience.
So please explain how it  all works. So I can  pass it on  if ever  needed. :D 

You just go to the temple, save the game.

B&W is a silly game, it accepts quite alot if you think about it.

As long as you are on the same 'map', that uses the same loading stuffs from the .txt file, or that other format used for multiplayer, the one hosting the game, can save it, and on that same map, load the game, once everyone is inside and loaded on a 'fresh' map.

It works exactly like the Skirmish' do for single player, but then with more players.
edit;
This means, going into the temple, and using the save game option, by going to a picture, and clicking the arrow buttons respectively at saving / loading. The 'hot save' or 'quick save' <crtl>+S will not work.

I did this about four years ago, when I played with my Mom via Lan, and 'our' creature froze up. :p

So mind you, Lant might have a slightly different discription about this. :) - since I'm typing from memory.

Lant did indeed PM me about this.

I won't pretend to understand all of it, but I think I understand the principle being used and it sounds feasible, but as it was a PM, I will respect that he wants to keep it private for now although I'd like to put the information out there.

I'll check to see if if it's OK for me to write something up when I get a spare few minutes.

I have  only played  Skirmish to the end or quit. So maybe ??? 

Okay, two things:
A: Yes, I do indeed now have my answer, and me and my sister can now MP on our insane schedules.
B: Pat is awesome.
Thank you for listening! :)

Back