I have the most awesome idea!!!

Sonicboom

How 'bout a Black And White game where you take the role of nemesis as he rose from a new god to an all powerful god.

Just thought I'd see if it's something I should really consider telling somebody other than all my freinds about.

All your friends play Black&White?

That seems an interesting idea. However, I am not willing to pursue it at this juncture, as I have temporarily deserted this marvelous game in pursuit of more refined arts.

Best of luck, though.

Interesting idea, but the storyline from the original wouldn't change much.  But interesting nonetheless!

Yeah. Think about it: Nemesis' quest was to be the only god. He could be either good or bad (he is always the opposite of the player), has three creeds which are gained by defeating other gods, and he commands an empire that is obviously old and expansive, which suggests he took it over from an older Ur-god. So, when your character comes along, he just does the same thing Nemesis must have done, except by then all the other gods are dead, so you never have any challengers.

The story from Nemesis; point of view might be different, but would inevitably end in a loss, and the story of his ASCENT would probably be nearly identical; According to Guide, they are even both native to the same original island. :p

I like this idea.  There's room for a little creative liscence here also to get around the issues of Nemesis loosing in the end.

As it's Nemesis's story, you don't need to bring it to it's logical conclusion from the original B&W story.  Remember, this is YOU playing as Nemesis now.  You smite that the lowly new God showing up before he becomes a threat.  Think like the alternate endings for games like Star Wars: Force Unleashed

There's also a few other things to milk here to make the game a more unique experience.

We know Nemesis earns the Creeds, but we don't know how.  It may be totally different to how you earned them in the first game.  We also know he's got a few more tricks up his sleeve than normal gods as he's able to curse whole lands, creatures and even rain repeated Mega Blasts down on his enemies.

This means that as Nemesis gains these abilities, we have to track the story as to his reasons for cursing Lands/People/Creatures (particulary if he is being played as Good) and also supply meaningful apponents.

I do like this idea.

Tis a shame though that there's only a 0.0000001% chance of anything like it being done :(.

Hm. I always assumed his awesome powers were due to having the three aligned creeds, and that those powers were just watered down into Epic Miracles in BW2.

Also, the explanation for his curses if he is good is given in the original: It is kinda like Old-Testament-IHVH: Righteous fury. He is punishing people for worshiping a daemonic god like yourself.

Fair enough.  I never played as Evil in the first game so I didn't know that.

With all that said though, it's fair to say that one of the things lacking in B&W was a decent story - probably due to the open-ended nature of the game and allowing the player to do as they pleased.

That was fine back in the days of B&W1, but in this day in age, we know that free roaming games can have good story content too while still giving the player choices with repercussions.

If that could be incorporated into a B&W game, that'd make the telling of Nemesis's story a fair bit better I'd say :yes :D.

What, do you mean like Fable 2 where you have a bunch of different, but similar, storylines based on your actions and what people think of you? Or do you mean something different?

Okapidragon said:
What, do you mean like Fable 2 where you have a bunch of different, but similar, storylines based on your actions and what people think of you? Or do you mean something different?
I wouldn't hold Fable 2 up as the best example of that, but yes.  I was thinking more Mass Effect 2.  I'm only talking about the mechanic where there are different (but notable) variations of the same story thoughout the game depending on your actions.

Perhaps I'm being a bit lofty in my ambitions in applying such a mechanic for B&W, but I always find that enemy characters can easily have more interesting stories.  With that inspiration in mind, I'd like to make Nemesis's journey as interesting as possible while still allowing the freedom B&W so readily gives you.

Now I'm not getting my hopes up, but maybe BW3 will be Nemesis' story!  But this time you can either conquer, ignore, or join/collaborate with the new god.  It would have to feature the best of both worlds (BW1 and 2) as far as gameplay goes.

My thoughts exactly!  How come enemies get all the cool stories and backgrounds and sound effects/voices and colour schemes?!  That's the reason why Mehrunes Dagon and Jyggalag are awesome!  Awesome stories, awesome backgrounds, totally awesome characters!  I mean, come on, even though Lethys and Nemesis are evil, I find them to be much cooler than Khazar [spell check?].

GallopRider said:
I mean, come on, even though Lethys and Nemesis are evil, I find them to be much cooler than Khazar [spell check?].

To be fair, it's a tie between Lethys and Khazar.  Lethys was kinda sucky.  I mean for all of Land Two, he just whined and moaned screaming at you to get off his land.  The biggest threat he posed was that he kept stealing trees from your influence :shocked !

I believe the "Enemies have cooler stories" rule should be revised to apply mostly to the main bad guy, not his minions :yes .

Agreed.  Nevertheless... was not the banishment of Lethys to the Void most gratifying?  The speech was cool.  I tend to like speeches in videogames.  Don't know why though...

Hm. I actually much preferred Sheogorath to Jyggalag. Then again, my favourite colours are Orange and Violet, and I have a healthy connection to madness myself, and he has hilarious lines.
Of course, Jyggalag and Sheogorath are one and the same, so no difference in story.

I'm trying to think of a rad game where the main character has a cool story... Oh! Legend of Zelda. Let's see... Shadow of the Colossus. How about... Okay, I can't think of anymore at present, but I'm havcing one of my foggy days, so I'll figure it out later.

God of War wasn't too bad.

Don't know how well that applies here though as his story was completely linear.

Mirror's Edge. Assassin's Creed.

Still, I think a more valid point is that no open-ended games (though Mirror's Edge is fairly character-driven and freestyle, in spite of having a rigid storyline) have a cool main character, since it is a lot more difficult for somebody to make a character with a rad background story, and giving the character a rad background story makes the game more rigid, since it doesn't make sense if you have a character that lost his arm in the line of duty and is entirely devoted to military and is also incredibly intelligent and whose parents died, for example, and make it so he could desert the military and become a renegade and have a happy, undisturbed family life and so forth.

Well Mass Effect came close to an Open-Ended bad-ass character (much as there can be in an open-ended game), hence why I mentioned it earlier (losing his arm not withstanding).

Although I freely admit, that's more the exception than the rule.

Mass Effect excepts a lot of rules. Speaking of which, but off topic, how is ME2?

Still haven't finished it.  Got distracted.  Tis damn good though.

But it seems a much more polished version over ME1 and offers more branching in the story.  Helped in no small part by the fact that you can import your choices for your character from the first game (really nice touch).

If I had to pick one thing above all else I had to appreciate in the new game though, the male nerd in me over-rides all else and says Miranda - again helped in no small part by the fact that her facial features (if not that impossibly vuluptuous body) is based on the woman who voiced her (Yvonne Strahovski):

2l9sdw5.jpg

She also stars in Chuck which is an excellent show.

I really enjoyed ME2. Has some great new characters and basically continues the storyline from last time (I especially liked that it carried over all my choices from the first game if I wanted).

Hm. I'll have to try it.

Really not a big fan of Chuck. Cute actress, though. :p

Back