I cannot save the game anymore (island 3) - please help

Y.T.

I've installed Black & White some days ago on my Windows 10 machine. It's installed in a "games" folder, not in program files.
I was playing the original cd version with patch 1.100 and a modified .exe, because the copy protection didn't want to work with me (and I didn't find a modified exe for a patched 1.2 version of the game I'd "trust").

Everything worked fine so far (sometimes the game minimized itself). But then, suddenly, on island 3 I wasn't able to save the game anymore. I only started quicksaving on this island some hours before the problem started.

So I think at first the game didn't autosave properly anymore: It crashed while trying to save.
Then the same happened with quicksave.
Then I couldn't save in the temple anymore.

And when I tried disabling autosave and saving by just quitting the game, it... crashed.

Then I tried saving by starting a combat and going back - this only worked once.

Do you have any idea what could have happened here?

I uninstalled the game and tried patching to 1.2, but then it didn't start anymore. Now I installed it again, but I guess I didn't make a proper backup of my player profile (only the savegames).

So I don't know if I'll ever be able to continue my game. I'd still be happy if anyone could help. Seems that I am not the only player with that problem.

Uninstalling the game is not enough you need to clear all the old registry entries as well.
A clean install to a non  protected  area  should see an end to your problems.

This is really strange, since I already installed the game in a non protected area with the first install.
But although it's not installed in "program files" but in a "games" folder on another hdd, it seems to be writing protected (I couldn't change that).
Any tips?

What I don't understand is that the whole thing did work at first (and for some days!) before I couldn't save anymore.
Does it have anything to do with the count of saves?

In my second try I installed it to another individual folder (where it seems to be "writing protected", too - but I can save with the new profile).

About the registry:
I searched for the registry entries listed in the windows 7 / 8 / 10 -thread, but I didn't find any entries with "Lionhead" or "Black & White" in the named places and folders (or somewhere else) in my registry. Even without uninstalling the game. :(

Another thing that seems somewhat strange to me.

I found out that I can save the game if I load a very early savegame (island 1) and save that again.

Looks like I just can't save from that very point on island 3.

I seem to remember that for some  another type of save could help. The 3 save options were  normal, quick or the save game room in the temple.

I hoped so, too.

But I already tried all save options I could guess:
- save room in the temple
- quick save
- autosave when leaving the game
- autosave when entering the playground
- copying saves into a new profile

Always the same effect. I can save whenever I want, but not if I try to make any more progress in the game (and save) while trying to capture/conquer the third village on that third island.

Back