How to get HAIR!

Grave_Mind

I am one of many people whose video card doesn't support the hair and grass feature  :( But luckily that can be changed  :) I recently found this on the lionhead forums....

First I want to make it very clear this is an Unoffical Fix and is not supported by the LH Team. (I recommened before you make any changes below that you make a backup copy of the file. Name it something like graphics.config.bk)

First open your 'Black & White 2' Folder. Inside the 'Black & White 2' Folder you will find a folder called 'data'. Open this folder up and find the file called 'graphics.config'. Open the 'graphics.config' file with Wordpad or Notepad (I myself use Wordpad with no problems).

Once you have the 'graphics.config' file open look down the left side for your graphics card name. Each area is broken up based on Brand (S3, SiS, ATI, nVidia, Intel Ext) and then Type of card it is.

Once you have found your card look to the right of that.

(It should look like this)
; ATI
9200 2 0 2

By change the three numbers to the right of the Type you can open up the game to use the Grass, Fur, Ect.

Below I explain what each number does.

1st Number is the Resolution of the Textures used in the game.
(1 = Low , 2 = Med , 3 = High)

2nd Number is the Features & Pixel Shading
(0 = High Quality , 1 = Med Quality , 2 = Low Quality)

3rd Number is the Detail Level of Objects used in the game.
(1 = Low , 2 = Med , 3 = High)

By playing with the above settings you can adjust what settings are used in the game. (Somethings you also have to change the settings ingame after you make these changes)

** You need to make these changes before starting the game.
*** If you encounter any problems replace the file with the backup you made

Any problems, comments, suggestions feel free to post in this thread. Ageain this is unsupported by LH so do not call them if you encounter any problems. I will try to help with questions, ect. as much as I can.

Hope this helps anyone that is hair less and wants to fix that.

cool thanks a ton. ill try that  :)

i hope this works, my wolf looks so cold at night without his warm fuzzy fur.

The thing is if your card doesn't support that feature then it will never work.  But what the heck, it's worth a try.

If anyone is successful in displaying fur could you please post what your video card is and what you changes you made to make it happen.

On a similar note:
If you have a Radeon 9000 and can't get it to work at all, Someone has had success by adding it to that file.

Well i have had luck with this but unfortuantly i dont have the memory required, It generates the hair but the game runs so slow and glitchy its not worth it.  This does work for some cards but im not sure if it works for all cards.  Incase your wondering mine is a Geforce FX 5200.

Thanks for letting me know. :)

Is that system memory or the memory on your video card you don't have enough of.

System memory, i only have 512 mb and with the virus blocker and firewall i have running in the background and a couple of other programs, im running just a little low on memory.  I could close out all those programs and try it but ill just stick with my hairless creature till i get the stick of ram that i ordered.

When you do get the ram could you post back and let us know if it helps.

Thanks for the info. :)

I have a 3.0 ghz computer with 1.12 gig of memory and a ati radeon 9600, are these good enough specs for this game, can i like play at maximum detail?

You shouldn't have a problem with those specs. :)

its not working for me :/ i have a geforce 3 ti 200.

Can you suggest a video card that will support those features. My comp is a dell 4300 with 256 (soon to be 512) MB of RAM.

ATi 9550-Guru (9550 on menu)works well with 2 1 2. 3 0 3, and every time u zoom out, itll go really slow. So if you want more detail try 3 0 3, but youll have to stay close to the ground!  :p

ehh i freed my ram and put in a 5500... but it still doesnt work :( I guess my lion will just ahve to be a lioness.

you shouldn't be having a problem with a 5500, I've got one, it's even PCI, I get grass, fur, and max water detail without too large a performance hit.

Well, I upgraded once again to a FX 5500 and the graphic settings to 3 0 3 and I have all the options, but I can only play it on low detail, and even then it's still very laggy :(
oh ,and i have 768 MB of free ram... if that helps any :D and my resolution in the game is 1024 by 768.

Do you have the latest drivers for your card? They do appear to make a differance.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.85.html

To see your system memory, right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties" Your system ram is shown there.

Yep. I already had that update. :p Thanks though. :D And in my computer, it says 768 mb ram. Ahh.. well... I guess i will just have to wait till i get a better computer :p

how do i add, my ati mobility radeon 9000, to the graphic.config list, what do i have to write???

Just add a line that looks like this:
9000 2 1 2

There's more info about this in this link:

http://allboards.lionhead.com/showthread.php?t=124189

Back