How do I get my creature to fill up eating from a field?

ValentineHeart82

:angel I've been trying to get my turtle to eat from a field, but it seems all he ever wants to eat is fish. I had the problem with a Cow and a Goat too. I've never punished him for eating from a field, in fact I've only ever rewarded him. I've even tried feeding him rocks to help him handle the grain, but he can't seem to hold down anything he eats from a field and even if he does he gets no hunger satisfaction from it. Full fields, empty fields, it doesn't seem to matter, he just can't seem to hold it down.

Funny enough I had a goat that ate trees a lot, and didn't hurl. He got no nutrition out of it, but I know you CAN get nutrition out of a field because a long time ago I had an ape doing it.

That's weird that you got your ape to do it. I think that they can't eat the grain straight out of a field because it isn't ripe yet, or that's what i've been told. It might depend from creature to creature, or with age.

I think you're correct on that. The grain does need to be ripe. Otherwise, he willl loose his lunch.

I beleive that this was corrected for CI.

Thanks, I'll keep rewarding him for eating ripe grain. Maybe after awhile he'll get some hunger satisfaction out of it.

You know it's funny but the Ape is the only creature I ever successfully did it with, all the others, even the cow, insisted on eating fish or livestock. Is there a good way to make them eat from a ripe field? It's hard to get him to eat from a field at all right now.

My ape right now is eating everything and not throwing up. He eats rocks, bushes, grain from the fields, and even poison mushrooms but he doesn't puke. No nutrition except for the grain.

My ape used to hurl everyday but i guess if you eat anything for a long time you get used to it... :yes

If this is a problem in the original, it is definitely fixed in CI, there's even a trial about eating from the fields.

From a technical standpoint, the reason they throw up when eating the grain is because it wasn't programmed to be read as a 'grain-type' food and instead as an "inedible-type" like rocks and trees.

I feel like mentioning that I trained a Polar Bear(Snorlax skin) to eat everything there is, from grain and meat, to rocks, trees, and people. He never threw up, but I'm sad that he couldn't get nutrition from trees. This also dashed my hopes of making a self-reliant foresting wolf....

Dr. Sazar said:
My ape right now is eating everything and not throwing up. He eats rocks, bushes, grain from the fields, and even poison mushrooms but he doesn't puke. No nutrition except for the grain.

My ape used to hurl everyday but i guess if you eat anything for a long time you get used to it... :yes

If this is a problem in the original, it is definitely fixed in CI, there's even a trial about eating from the fields.

Is there any way to take the fix from CI and introduce it to Black and White?

I'm kind of annoyed at the way the Black and White expansions have a lot of bug fixes and features that improve the game, but won't let you use them in the default campaigns.

Is there any way to take the fix from CI and introduce it to Black and White?

I doubt it, that's written into the game engine. The creature types are also different, which might/might not have a bearing on this .

Kays said:
I doubt it, that's written into the game engine. The creature types are also different, which might/might not have a bearing on this .

I suppose some hex editing may be in order. I'm going to crack out my Hex Editer and see what I can find in the EXE file.

The data you seek will be in the .chl file. HEX editing will only crash your game though, as the compiled script is indecipherable.

SkelApe said:
The data you seek will be in the .chl file. HEX editing will only crash your game though, as the compiled script is indecipherable.

Thanks. How do I edit the .chl file without HEX editing? Is there some kind of tool that only Lionhead has or something?

There is no way. Believe us, if we could edit chl files we would be doing it ALOT :p Its a real shame, i wish LH would open up a bit and give us some tools...

SkelApe said:
There is no way. Believe us, if we could edit chl files we would be doing it ALOT :p Its a real shame, i wish LH would open up a bit and give us some tools...

Gah, you're right, I tried Hex Editing and I don't even know what I'm looking at. There are zero indications of what's what.

Back