Houses

Shinyturtle

Elder
It seems quite odd to me that when I place down a blueprint for a house, that its considered Evil. Yet villas and mansions are considered good. I really don't get it.. ???

Is it evil or negative impressiveness? ???

If it's evil it will say evil. If it's a red number, then your impressiveness just dropped.

JYNXED! thats what you be shiny who knew building for the homeless was bad? ill never help them again :laugh:

it also does that to me and when i pick up trees its weird but  than my alignment dont change at all its really weird.

Shinyturtle said:
It seems quite odd to me that when I place down a blueprint for a house, that its considered Evil. Yet villas and mansions are considered good. I really don't get it.. ???

Houses and Hovels are evil structures. Both have essentially no impressiveness value and decrease happiness of structures nearby. They are, however, high capacity buildings. When placed near other dwellings, they induce a capacity bonus on one another. If you create a slum atmosphere with many packed into a small area, this bonus is rather dramatic. This is therefore a structure for evil gods - high capacity with low happiness to keep your alignment down.

The Villa is the neutral building - a balance of both. Putting them too close together gives a small happiness penalty to surrounding structures, but nowhere near that of the hovel or house. They also have a moderate impressiveness base. The Skyscraper is also in the middle somewhere depending on how you use it.

The Manor and Mansion are good buildings, both increasing happiness with high impressiveness ratings.

So... if you're building as a good god use villas mainly. The problem is that villas cannot be too close to one another so space them out. In between these spaces you should place manors. These manors allow you to use the extra space and actually raise the happiness of the structures further. Putting a temple amongst many houses raises the bonus further. Just be careful to keep industrial & military buildings away.

Building as an evil god is much easier. Just make an insane amount of hovels and pack them in. Placement of military and industrial buildings is not as important (or put them amongst the houses to drop happiness even more).

Picking up trees is considered evil because your deforesting the area, its automatically fixed when you put the tree back down, or put it in the store.

@ Alpha, thanks for that I was just thinking it was a bug.

cool, interesting. hmmm

i also notice that if i put a tavern or smething else nice next to my villas little happy  :)s appear above them. Yet when i put it down and check their happiness everyone's mood still seems to be so-so.

Question said:
cool, interesting. hmmm

i also notice that if i put a tavern or smething else nice next to my villas little happy  :)s appear above them. Yet when i put it down and check their happiness everyone's mood still seems to be so-so.

The symbols that come up when you're about to place a building indicate its effect to the surrounding buildings. That symbol does not show what the happiness will be. If you place a tavern next to houses and green smiley faces pop up, that means the tavern will make those houses happier. It doesn't mean that they will be at full happiness, since other buildings/factors may be decreasing the happiness.

Quite impressive alpha. I think I'll follow a good builing plan so I may carry out more...carnal ways and maintaina nuetral flow. :D

[alphaBeta] said:
Houses and Hovels are evil structures. Both have essentially no impressiveness value and decrease happiness of structures nearby. They are, however, high capacity buildings. When placed near other dwellings, they induce a capacity bonus on one another. If you create a slum atmosphere with many packed into a small area, this bonus is rather dramatic. This is therefore a structure for evil gods - high capacity with low happiness to keep your alignment down.

The Villa is the neutral building - a balance of both. Putting them too close together gives a small happiness penalty to surrounding structures, but nowhere near that of the hovel or house. They also have a moderate impressiveness base. The Skyscraper is also in the middle somewhere depending on how you use it.

The Manor and Mansion are good buildings, both increasing happiness with high impressiveness ratings.

So... if you're building as a good god use villas mainly. The problem is that villas cannot be too close to one another so space them out. In between these spaces you should place manors. These manors allow you to use the extra space and actually raise the happiness of the structures further. Putting a temple amongst many houses raises the bonus further. Just be careful to keep industrial & military buildings away.

Building as an evil god is much easier. Just make an insane amount of hovels and pack them in. Placement of military and industrial buildings is not as important (or put them amongst the houses to drop happiness even more).

Interesting.. ??? Now I know.  :yes

I have always worked on the villa being the baic houseing type (neutral) above you have manors and mansions, below you have houses and hovels.

This is from partially the file data/Balance/PlacementData.cml

Hovels are greek_abode_a. They cost 280 wood to build. Each hovel boosts the total capacity of all housing within a radius of 20 by +3 people each. Having multiple hovels together together can through overlapping capacity bonuses add a max of 11 additional people. This raises the base capacity of housing 5 adults and 2 children to housing 12 adults and 6 children. They also have a -0.9 to -0.2 happiness for the same radius, and add 0.1 productivity to all fields and refineries within range.

Note Japanese hovels have a much larger footprint than the greek version, and while they radiate out the capacity bonus to greek buildings nearby, they themselves have a max capacity bonus of 0. They really aren't worth bothering with, the greek hovels are so much more superior at what they do.

Houses cost 300 wood to build. They have a larger range, 22, but add only +2 people capacity bonus to all nearby housing buildings. They are -0.4 to -0.2 happiness, and add the same 0.1 productivity bonus to all fields and refineries within range. Here again there are limit caps to the capacity bonus that make the greek version of the house superior to the japanese version. The greek house has a capacity max of +4, which raises it from housing 7 adults and 3 children to 10 adults and 4 children, and a much smaller footprint. The japanese house shelters 5 with a max cap bonus of +3 for a total of 8.

Villas cost 320 wood. They are have a 22 range, and also have a +2 capacity bonus to all nearby housing buildings. They have a tricky happyiness range -0.2 for those  near, and +0.2 for those at the edgeof its effect radius. This is why you tend to see some players spread out their villas, to get that +0.2 happiness bonus right at the edge of the radius range.  As with all housing, they add 0.1 productivity to all fields and refineries within range also. If you choose to shove them as close together as you can, you can get the +2 capacity bonus to every other housing building within range. Unfortunately the max capacity bonus of a villa can receive is +1, meaning you go from 7 adults and 1 child to 8 adults and 1 child. Villas by themselves will bottleneck your number of children and so the number of adults you'll have later on. If you're going to have a lot of adult immigrants from the cities you've impressed entering, this is good. If you need to keep refreshing your army after casualities, villas will bottleneck your children population, which is bad. The 0.1 productivity bonus to fields and refineries is for the 22 radius as well.

Manors are greek_adobe_d. They cost 800 wood and 200 of the much more limited ore to build, and they have a slightly larger range of 25 radius. There is NO capacity bonus to other housing, ever, but in exchange they range from +0.2 to +0.4 happiness --so even if you build them close to other housing units they're still happy. The 0.1 productivity bonus to fields and refineries is for the 25 radius. Both manors and mansions do much better if mixed with their more lowly brethern that offer capacity bonuses. Manors built grouped by themselves are missing the important capacity bonuses offered by the smaller buildings. Manors have a maximum cap bonus of +2 which will boost them to housing 8 adults and 4 children. The japanese manor again has a much larger footprint than the greek version and is not worth bothering with since it maxes out with a +3 bonus at 5 adults and 3 children.

Mansions cost 1200 wood, 400 ore, and are greek_abode_e. There is no capacity bonus to other housing, but they do receive it from hovels, houses and villas nearby. They have an effect radius of 28, with happiness going from +0.2 to +0.9 at their far edge. The max capacity bonus they may accept is +7 and they at max are boosted to housing 8 adults and 6 children. The 0.1 productivity bonus to fields and refineries is for their 28 radius. Mansions should always have villas, houses or hovels nearby improving their capacity to maximize the return on the investment.

Skyscrapers cost 400 wood, 200 ore and have an area effect of only 20. They have no capacity bonus, and max out receive it at +2. This is a little but strange, since it only goes to children. A skyscraper on its own has 6 adults and 2 children per level. With the capacity bonus maxed out it instead housed 6 adults and 4 children per level ...which is not really helpful. Happiness ranges from -0.3 to -0.1. They also offer the 0.1 productivity bonus to field and refineries within a radius of 20.

Back