House organizing

Well if you like your stock houses nice and tidy, then you'll either really need to balance the resources or simply build more. I don't find balancing resources to be an easy task. It seems that you either have a ton of food lying around or you're running out. I can't seem to get a balance there. I tend to have my population rise quickly, but not fast enough to justify suddenly being out of food completely. It looks like everyone does the majority of their eating at night as well. That plays a role since the stockpiles become full during the day, but no one eats until night. Another idea would simply be to increase the size of the capacity of the stockpiles. For really large towns, 15000 units of resource is not sufficient.

I find smelters to be an absolute necessity. In this case, I could care less if it has people gather ore faster. What I do care about is it increases the amount of ore a mine will yield. Even without workers expect the ore content to rise at least 50% per load.

Now to answer your question. Fertility deployment should be in the middle of housing. The nursery, for example, gives a fertility bonus to all nearby residential buildings. Technically, if you like a high birth rate, you'll want to influence as many houses as possible. This means putting them in the most dense areas. The statue does this, just on a smaller scale. The nursery may also have a slight increase to productivity since mothers are not stuck leading their children around all day. That's pure speculation at this point, however.

This all brings me to some problems I have with birth rates in general. If you leave a town with an 800 people capacity, they won't reach anywhere near that (or it will take considerable time - longer than I've been willing to wait). When you first start the level, everyone is young. Any births yield instant population growth. Problems start when you've been playing a map for awhile, generations will start dying off. Now those births are only maintaining the population and cancel out with those dying from old age.

Without disciples, people will do their thing during the night only, and several births will happen around sun up. This is what the nursery and fertility statue influence (I think) - these births that the people do on their own. Creating breeding disciples allows for the whole process to take place during the day (and at a faster rate).

Having said all of that, I find the fertility buildings pretty useless because I don't think it helps the breeder disciples, and you must have breeder disciples to grow (or even maintain) a large town. Your ability to increase the people's automatic non-disciple breeding practices doesn't seem important. BnW2 breeders are also "smart" enough not to breed past their population cap. You can make a bunch without worrying about a runaway population growth. This is probably a balance issue since evil gods would have no reason to build houses at all if breeders kept going indefinitely.

Remember there's a job system built in, so people who live in homes by a field will be farmers, those near a mine will be miners and so on.  So... a city laid out to take advantage of this means very few disciples are required.

I had forgotten about that.  Handy to know :D

I think the thing thats unhelpful  is how restrictive your influence is at the start. You migh want to build certain buildings in creatin areas, but at the start you're struggling to build every thing you need within your own influence.  It's then at the cost of resources and villager happiness that you have to then rebuild your town how you like it :( .

fenton_pat said:
I had forgotten about that.  Handy to know :D

I think the thing thats unhelpful  is how restrictive your influence is at the start. You migh want to build certain buildings in creatin areas, but at the start you're struggling to build every thing you need within your own influence.  It's then at the cost of resources and villager happiness that you have to then rebuild your town how you like it :( .
Agreed. The influence gained from buildings is way too small. I find you have to build something other than houses for the sole purpose of extending the influence. I'm not saying you should be able to control half the map, but it's ridiculous right now.

Oddly enough I have not seen BW2 in stores.....So I still cannot make my buetiful city full of anoying amounts of archers. :yes

i make my cities like hollywood with full hapiness!

T=tavern
-  or  |=road
X=mansion
E=establishmeant

X                                                X
|            X              X                |
|  E T  E |      T      |    TTT      |
---------------------------------

The industrial sector is usually determined by the mine location. Each storehouse increases the efficency of nearby refineries (sawmills, smelters and granaries). Each refinery also increases the the number of workers (the "capacity") that can be held iby the others near it by 3. The optimal placement is a smelter next to a lumber yard, a university or two on the other side of the road down from the mine positioned so they light up a gear over both the lumberyard and smelter, and a granary if you want also lighting up gears, surrounded by a ring of 5-8 storehouses all positioned to light up all the gears over your industrial buildings also.

You'll usually get 500% efficency or more. Which means those storehouses will fill very quickly. I usually do a double circle of storehouses around the industrial/university sector, with fertile fields off to one side and a housing district to the other.

The game is based on circles. Every building effect is radiated out in a circle around the building.  The optimal way of using this is building a positive effect building, say the nursery at the center, and then a ring of houses around it staying withing the influence ring. And then building temples, taverns and other influence buidlings in the gaps between these different housing circles.

Also mixing mansions and hovels seems more optimal. Have yet to try this though, since they're so many points to buy.

If you're playing BotG and have the Life spell, you can cast it on storehouses and increase small ore and grain specks to overflowing.  With this, it may be worthwhile to build amplitheaters at the center of each housing circle. They have a huge radius though, so be careful it doesn't also effect fields or refineries, which it (and the bathhouse and the pub) reduce efficency of.

Back