Graphic/Running Problems

Denieru

Hi Guys,

as a huge BW fan I wanted to play the game on my computer again, and (thanks Vista) it didn't work at all. lh has stopped working etc.
I solved that problem with patch 1.20 and the No CD Patch, at least the game is working now.
So, here comes my problem. The video sequences run fine, the game does too. Except for that thing, it lags real bad. It's like... I see a short sequence, then a black screen, and then the game runs again. It lags real bad ass, I can't play like that.
My OS is Windows Vista, I already refreshed my graphic drivers and I reinstalled the game. The compability modes also don't work.

Anyone got an idea how to solve this? I'd be really grateful.

Greetings

Mmm...
Does your computer lag on anything else?
Do your skirmish maps lag?
You might try a very simple skirmish map and see if it lags.
And, I don't mean the pre - installed ones.
Like if this map lag's there's a solution I can't think of :)laugh2).
-----------------------> http://www.bwfiles.com/files/file.php?id=1235 <-------------------------
Now, if this doesn't lag then you might try a bigger map with more stuff on it.

So, I tried the map you posted and well, it didn't help. Same problem.
Well, so I continued to "play" the campagain, it's still a new game on Land 1, and I have to go to the temple to finish building it. But instead of this, after the dialogue with the villagers at the tiger stone, the screen turned black and "lh has stopped working" or whatever it's in english. I just dunno what it is.

Edit: Oh, um strangest thing. I can't see the angel and devil guy at all. :| I can just guess (or maybe I'm hallucinating lol) there is a slight red glow where the devil should be. Maybe that's a little helpful.

Are you using the pre-set graphics options, or custom?  And are you running it as an administrator?

Kay, i wish people would stop blaming vista for all their problems, BUT..

1. in the compatibility area try "Run in 256 colours"
this has solved problems for many people i know.

2. If you are using an Nvidia video card simply right click on your desktop somewhere (not on an icon) click "NVIDIA control pannel" and in the advanced settings
select "Let the 3D Application Decide" and save settings, that may help.

If niether work for you (#2 only if the vid card is NVidia of course) it could be something completely different.
Honestly, im running a cracked version 1.20 on vista and didnt have to do any of this, not even run as administrator,
whereas others had to do digital handstands just to get it to work, so, im a little ¯\(°_o)/¯ on this subject myself.

Denieru said:
So, I tried the map you posted and well, it didn't help. Same problem.
Well, so I continued to "play" the campagain, it's still a new game on Land 1, and I have to go to the temple to finish building it. But instead of this, after the dialogue with the villagers at the tiger stone, the screen turned black and "lh has stopped working" or whatever it's in english. I just dunno what it is.

Edit: Oh, um strangest thing. I can't see the angel and devil guy at all. :| I can just guess (or maybe I'm hallucinating lol) there is a slight red glow where the devil should be. Maybe that's a little helpful.

On the "Continue Game screen" (the one that shows up at the start) you could try clicking options and setting the quality down some.
Sometimes, I can only see the evil guy partially.  Like he look's up at the good guy while he's at the bottom of the screen.  And sometimes good guy will say something and not appear, but nothing as extreme as you have.

Denieru said:
But instead of this, after the dialogue with the villagers at the tiger stone, the screen turned black and "lh has stopped working" or whatever it's in english.

Isn't it supposed to be english?
And for the lags:
This stupid idea but:
You might try pausing the game and letting it load, unless, it's a strictly compatibility problem.

I'm from Germany, that's why I dunno what it's in English  :laugh2
I'm running it as an administrator in Win98 Compability Mode with 256 colours. Still doesn't work.
The settings with the Nvidia Card were already like that. Hm.
Btw, I'm not blaming Vista for everything. I haven't got much problems with the OS and I guess compability problems with such old games are just sth. normal.

Try this it really is a must for Vista W7.
Create a new folder called "Games" on your  C  drive or D if  it is a hard disc. The important thing is it is not in the "Program files" folder.
Install the  game to Games  folder not the default. Forget compatibility mode the game will work!
My prefered options.
Install as above...
Patch to V1.2
The Myth NOCD patch 1.2
Run  setup on the original cd and  set all to max
Copy the Audio folder from the  CD to your instaled Audio.
Run  setup from the CD set all to max and the video to custom.
Last but not least play the game, quit.
And now other screen options can be  edited in.......
I currently play Vista 1680x1050 all maxed and no cd and have had the same on  W7 but my Beta testers licence ran out so back to Vista.

Well, I tried that, same problem. Unbelievable it still doesn't work after all those tries -_- I'm getting kinda pissed xD
Directory is C:\\Games\etc. instead of C:\\Program Files\etc.
Hmpf. Anyone still got ideas? :|

Run the setup.exe in the Black & White folder.  If under "Graphics Detail Level" it's something other than "Custom Detail," hit the "Custom" button and set the graphics that way.  Really, the stuff on Cowgod's guide to getting B&W running on Windows 7 should apply to Windows Vista as well.

It does work... FINALLY! I love you guys :D

Many thanks to you, one of my favourite games is running again.

Back