GameBalanceVillager - Villager Jobs

Shoujin

Has anyone else been working on this section of data points? Nearest I can tell, the data points are loosely structured for free will jobs (since disciple are pretty much clear cut).

Code:
         | 1 |  2 | 3 |  4   | 5  | 6   |  7  |  8  |  9
FORESTER | 5 | 20 | 1 | 0.01 | 60 | 100 | 0.7 | 0.8 | 0.8

Theorized Column Data Info:
After the Job Name...
1. Job Type?/Info for GUI tracking? - Don't edit this, since these are pretty uniform numbers
2. Unsure (Minimum Population? In Percentage for Actor Base? In total people?)
3. Job Priority? - I don't recommend editing this.
4. Yet Another Uniform Data Point - Pretty sure on this one.

Now for the fun stuff I did mess around with, but needs more testing.
5. Either Minimum Percentage to Choose Job OR Minimum Population Percentage (first one seems more likely)
6. Maximum Percentage to Choose Job OR Maximum Population Percentage (Likely Linked to 5)
7 - 9. I have a feeling that these are how quickly and how often villagers change their minds about their jobs once they finish their assigned task (most job changes occur at the storehouse)

This is just a working theory, and the information to back it up is a loose string of tests.

Test 1:
Reducing Data Points 2, 5 & 6 to 0
Test Population: 58 people
Test Length: 15 minutes
Results: Inconclusive
Details: Working out the data points, I managed to figure out which ones seemed pretty uniform and which ones were not. The double and triple digit column pretty much sang out to me, so I edited those to nothing to remove foresters from the equation. What I got was a confusing mess - foresters were still present, according to the GUI, but the "Personal Info" about the villagers (S key) was saying there was no foresters once they had finished their jobs and move on to a new field.

Test 2:
Reset and Reduce Data Points 5 & 6 to 5% Population (assumed)
Test Population: 58-78 people
Test Length: 30 minutes
Results: High Probability of Accurate Information
Details: Second test was a lot more revealing that columns 5 & 6 were a measure of control of villagers free will data points. As soon as those data points were altered, much of the free will foresting that plagued my city was reduced to a small section of the population (4-5 people). I was pretty pleased with the results, but figured the best way to ultimately test this theory was to go further and see about making the population more willing to worship.

Test 3:
Reset, Change WORSHIPPER Data Points 5 & 6 to 100% and Reduce all other actual jobs to 0% (CHILD, RETIRED and SHOPKEEPER excluded from test)
Test Population: 58+ people
Test Length: 15 - 25 minutes
Results: Revealing, if not confusing
Details: This was the most revealing test that some villagers will absolutely refuse to change jobs, even if shaken over and over again. Most of the population was highly receptive to changing their jobs and quickly went from whatever job they were doing to worshiping at my Siren Wonder or Altar. This turned my worshipper base from 2 to 23 in less then a minute, however, that meant only half the population was willing to change their jobs. Mostly, farmers, refiners and about half of the unemployed refused to alter their behaviour (I include the bar man in unemployed, to be honest). This presented the idea that either there's an actor base limit, to make the town look active, or that there's a "I'm stuck to this job and you can't make me leave it" data point hidden amongst the pack.

Test 4:
Keep Changes and alter data points 7, 8 & 9 to 0 for all other jobs except WORSHIPPER (excluding CHILD, RETIRED and SHOPKEEPER)
Test Population: 200+ people
Test Length: 10 minutes
Results: Headache inducing last test
Details: If anything, editing columns 7, 8 and 9 is the worst thing a person can do to their follower base because I think it pretty much controls how likely a follower will want to change their job. The Proof: A population of 200+ people all stuck in the same job indefinitely. Not a single follower changed their job after the edit, which meant that while the data revealed that messing with those columns was a bad idea in the first place, it is important to the populations free will and needs testing.

End the tests!

I got so tired of messing with those data points that I shut off B&W2 for the rest of the night and reset the data points back to normal. I have to say, I'm still confused by the information and not 100% sure if this works as planned. Also, another thing noticed of minor significance: Editing the values will also stop all enemy followers from doing their jobs and just linger around if messed with too much. So, exercise extreme caution when editing these values. If someone can confirm or fix the gaping errors in my logic, feel free to do so - I just want to stop the overfilling of my storehouses with lumber without having to kill foresters or Torchwood. :p

"I just want to stop the overfilling of my storehouses with lumber without having to kill foresters or Torchwood. :p"

The simple answer is don't create disciples.  If your village is  a good place to live villagers will fill the needs of the village store as and when required.
If you need to create disciples for quest/challenge reasons, then you can pick up any surplus disciple and give him/her a shake  to change him/her back to a normal villager.

Gremxula said:
"I just want to stop the overfilling of my storehouses with lumber without having to kill foresters or Torchwood. :p"

The simple answer is don't create disciples.  If your village is  a good place to live villagers will fill the needs of the village store as and when required.
If you need to create disciples for quest/challenge reasons, then you can pick up any surplus disciple and give him/her a shake  to change him/her back to a normal villager.

*facepalms* I did mention that these were free will jobs, right? This information doesn't apply to disciples at all. I never use disciple foresters because 1 can tear down an entire forest in one game session.

It's these little free will foresters that tear down trees on their own when I'm right there. There's been many a time that I wanted to take a lightning miracle and reduce the population because of them.

That's what this data is trying to reflect.

Forgot about the "free will" part of your post by the time I got to the end comment.  :(

Gremxula said:
Forgot about the "free will" part of your post by the time I got to the end comment.  :(

Bad smartpants.  :laugh2

Anyway, the data is there for people to test, not so easy to get what you want out of your villagers, though. There could be an issue with the map I'm playing, though, since my toy seems to float 1 villager's height above the ground.

In your other thread about food I posted a couple of pictures from 06 you may find the number of disciples interesting.
I think the breeders were just for a quick population boost to help win the land.

you dont need to worry about wood and ore overflowing it is the food as food rots away.

that is solved in the resource general text file and there are 2 numbers  100 is the amount of food and 120 is the time in seconds between rots.

make the 100 to 0 and you will never lose food again.

however i have seen at random times there is small piles of food scattered around the town i think this may be due to an overflow if you get several million food in the storehouse.

Gremxula said:

ejonesss said:
you dont need to worry about wood and ore overflowing it is the food as food rots away.

that is solved in the resource general text file and there are 2 numbers  100 is the amount of food and 120 is the time in seconds between rots.

make the 100 to 0 and you will never lose food again.

however i have seen at random times there is small piles of food scattered around the town i think this may be due to an overflow if you get several million food in the storehouse.

Huh? What's this got to do with villagers picking their "free will" jobs? I'm just tired of having the storehouse constantly displaying at the town center after having just built one a minute ago. Free will foresting causes this nuisance, I find.

I don't have a problem with the store being the most wanted  building most of the time.
Playing to impress with my villagers in "free will" I just build and build and build. This keeps the wood and ore levels down. As for food I set aside an area for fields but don't place all the fields adding more if the food runs low and use the water miracle for a quick boost if needed.
Of course  when the land is won then the store can overfill but then it is time to move on any way.

The problem with free will is that villagers AI will make them complete a task or journey once they have started. So " free will foresters " will still collect wood even if the store was full just after the set off. The same applies to civic buildings I recently moved  a remote Tavern from one side of the road to the other and I noticed that several villagers arrived at  at the old Tavern site, stopped stared and then walked off most ignored the new tavern.  Next several freewill builders came to the new tavern site that I had "God built" stopped stared then wandered off presumably to return the wood to the store.

It seems to just part of the nature of the AI.

Good stuff to know, Grem :D

Still, having your little guys choosing to "forest" on their own can be a bit of a bother, especially in cramped area. I even have some free willers tearing down a decorative tree... How's that make sense?

Overall, I think Lionhead botched the AI on this. Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't be playing Black & White 2 if I thought it was total crap. I just think some things need tweaking to taste and having my wood stores always full and my decorative trees torn down all the time is a huge annoyance as a good god.

As a bad god, though... Fireball, anyone?  :devil

I really had to laugh ...... :D .... Just doing another  play through !!!
The final Jap and the first Aztec on both lands I ran out of trees.. :blush
Ore too on the Aztec....So maybe it is down to playing styles ???
The AI is not as good as it could be  for any particular player, but considering the range of playing styles the same AI has to cope with it's a good job for most.

Back