FATAL ERROR - Could not create the 3D device.

Gary

Hi everyone. I hope I'm in the right place.

My wife has just bought me BNW2, my PC is under powered but can run BNW1.

When I start the game I first get the Lionhead front page, then I get this message:-

FATAL ERROR
Could not create the 3D device.

I believe it to be the graphics card which is an "Intel 82815" with the latest drivers. If this is the case would the

"Nvidia GeForce 6200 Chipset with 400MHz memory clock; 256Mb 128 bit DDR memory and DVI & TV out do the trick?

If so ,is £49 a reasonable price?

I hope I have explained things OK, and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks for listening to my problem.

ATB Gary.

Although it's not the fastest, a 6200 should do the trick but...

Your present card is built into the motherboard and can not be physically removed and replaced. What you need to do first is to determine if there is a slot open so a card can be added. If there is an open slot, then is it an APG or the newer PCIe. You'll need to buy the proper card for the slot. Most cards come in both flavours.

This information you can get from your PCs manufacturer's web site.

Thank you for such a quick response Kays. If i can get the right card before my wife gets home she will be really chuffed.

I have three empty slots. 3 PCI, and 1 AGP

Would a Nvidia GeForce 6600 chipset with, 275MHz memory clock, 256Mb 128 Bit DDr Memory,DVI & TV out, and 8 Pixel Pipelines which states PCI-e be any better than the one I mentioned before, which dosn't say what it is.

Sorry to go on, but can you put a PCIe card in a PCI slot?

ATB Gary.

No its impossible as PCI-e is built to be 16 times faster than PCI, a 6600 however is much faster than a 6200 (6200 is basically a 5200 with more Vram) and if you can get an AGP version of it, it should run Black and White 2 pretty well, just remember to see if the rest of the pc is up to the job of playing it before you commit yourself to anything. :)

Thanks Orkin for your reply.

Now I shall go and spend more money that I can Ill aford.

ATB Gary.

Back