Creature Minds and Where to Find Them

AppleApe

Ok, I've been looking for my creatures mind files everywhere inside the B&W folder and I can't seem to find any of them.
Is there any special place to look?
Insight is most appreciated!  :)
"AppleApe"

Actually, you can find it in Scripts/CreatureMind.

I found the folder through spotlight, a little search box I have at the top of the screen.
And is creature.lhp the creature mind?
I am afraid the profiles folder is not in the Scripts/CreatureMinds folder.
And I still can't tell where the folder is. 

C4a76afdb2.erc
Is  the mind file of my current  B&W creature in the location  Kays  said.
If you don't have similar then the  MAC and  PC are  different  and you need to go to a MAC  site to solve  this problem.

The creatureminds folder contains those to be used in map scripts, and the profile folder contains your creatures' minds, which can be moved and renamed (for identification) to the creatureminds folder to use them or you can use creature trainers on them in the Profiles folder, though you can also modify the mindfiles in the creatureminds folder if I recall correctly.

I am also a Mac user, and I do not have a Profiles folder either. My framework looks like this:

Applications -> Black & White -> Black & White Data -> Scripts -> CreatureMind

I cannot locate a file with the same extension that Grem's file has anywhere in my Black & White data. It seems the process is totally different for our game. When I type 'profiles' into Spotlight it brings up the infoscript2.txt file from B&W. Maybe the mind is in there?

No infoscript is for the general game settings of Adviser speech/actions etc.. from memory.
A fool proof  way to find your creature  mind is to turn off auto save .....play the game  for a short while, with creature on screen...he will learn something....exit and look for the  newest file in  your B&W directory.
It will be your creatures mind or  an  exit save. Creature  minds are about  1-100k in size  about 8k for a new  and 60 for  an experienced creature.

Black Curtains:
In spotlight just try typing .erc or erc - that's what worked for me.
It might look like this: C7ed71fe1.erc or this: PhysiqueC7ed71fe1.erc.
I am not sure what the difference is between the two.
For me the only things in my creature mind folder are ComputerControlledCreatures CreatureDestroyOtherCreatures CreatureDestroyTowns CreatureImpressTowns CreatureProtectTowns KhazarCreature LethysCreature NemesisCreature.
Not anything else.
What version of OS X do you have?
I have Tiger and am about to upgrade to Snow Leopard.
Gremxula:
I would turn off auto save.
Except I can't play, because, well...
It started with not being able to play BW, CI still worked.
I had coped the land one .txt to the skirmish folder...
Then I looked back in the landscapes folder and the original text was gone so I copied the the land one .txt back in.
The game worked.
The problem started when I tried to create a new game account, restarted the game and then it crashed!
Is there a maximum amount for save games or game accounts?
Okapidragon:
To see if the .erc I found is a creature mind I will code it into a map.

AppleApe said:
Black Curtains:
In spotlight just try typing .erc or erc - that's what worked for me.
It might look like this: C7ed71fe1.erc or this: PhysiqueC7ed71fe1.erc.
I am not sure what the difference is between the two.

To get all meditative on this for a moment - one is the mind and one is the body :suspect .

To use your example above:
  • C7ed71fe1.erc - The Creature's mind
  • PhysiqueC7ed71fe1.erc - The Creature's body

If you import just the mind file, I believe the end result is that your creature is completely invisible to you in the game.  You can hear him, but that's about it.

Weird!  :shocked
And, if you just imported the body then you would see him?  Or would he just stand there? Or would the game crash?
And, you change the name C7ed71fe1.erc  to AnewName.erc for easier identification or would that mess it up?
Like...I know you can do that for a map, but what about changing the name of the original mind?
Is "SaveCreature0" a creature mind?

I'm not 100% sure on this.

I only know of the invisible creature thing because I forgot to bring in his physique file one time and that was the result.

I'm only assuming, but if you did it the other way around, the game might create a new mind file with the appropriate name and you'd have to start from scratch again.

However, if you shut down the game and over-ride it with the proper mind file, I think everything should be good again :;): .

As for renaming the files, it doesn't work like that.  The profile you are playing is tied into the creature mind file, so if you rename it, the profile can't find and load it.

However this can work to your advantage as well in that you can swap out creatures from other profiles into yours by simply renaming the creature mind and physique files to the one your profile uses  :;): .  Make sure you back up your own creature first though if you don't want to loose him.

This technique is handy if your save games in your current profile become corrupted.  You can start a new profile and then bring in your old creature using this method :yes .

Well, I made the same mistake, too!
While trying to import one of my creatures.
Now I have my game working again, so I can use my creatures minds in maps.

Back