Creature data

Vir

I'm always pondering the different sets of comparative creature stats online. I finally decided to test them myself. I used Kong and backup files to control all creatures' changeable stats (tiredness, hunger, fatness, strength) so that when I changed creatures their species was the only difference.

I wanted to share with this site since it has been invaluable in my messing around with B&W. Here are the stats available in different ways from the lost BWCenter and Project CREED:

Fatness
Strength
Walk
Run
Reaction
Intellect
Growth
Recovery

I did not test Fatness, since that is not permanently innate to the species.

I tested Strength, and contrary to what I've always thought, strength is not permanently innate to the creature type either. I tested strength by punching the Guide in the nose with 99% strength creatures. I gauged the Guide's state of damage after six punches with a ruler. The first handful of creatures with whom I punched, including Ape, Tiger, Cow, and Lion, all brought him to the same state of damage in the same number of connecting blows. I figured if there was no difference between those, I could probably figure that the strength percent and not the species was the significant factor.

I did not test Walking speed.

I tested Running speed by having all creatures run from the starting position in Kilroy's v3 to the same point on the coast behind the temple. Creatures were all height 36 (pretty small, but big enough to hold miracles), according to Kong, and like I said earlier fully rested and all. Allowing for whatever little variation in my hitting the stopwatch, they seemed to fall into three tiers: arriving between 23 and 24 seconds, arriving between 26 and 27 seconds, and arriving between 28 and 29 seconds.

I decided I could not seriously test combat Reaction because I could not control the variables involved in lining up a punch.

I tested Intellect by showing the creatures the food miracle. This is the test that showed the most significant differences. I showed the miracles repeatedly until I was confident I rather precise on the percentage by which it was increasing; at the very least they're right within 1/3rd of a percent. None of them increased by whole numbers.

Here is the Running data in speed tiers, 1 being faster:

Ape: 2
Cow: 3
Tiger: 1
Leopard: 1
Wolf: 1
Lion: 1
Horse: 1
Tortoise: 3
Zebra: 1
Brown Bear: 2
Polar Bear: 2
Sheep: 3
Chimp: 2
Ogre: 2
Mandrill: 2
Rhino: 3
Gorilla: 3

Here is the Intellect data in number of showings to learn Food:

Ape: 5
Cow: 9
Tiger: 18
Leopard: 16
Wolf: 11
Lion: 6
Horse: 7
Tortoise: 6
Zebra: 7
Brown Bear: 14
Polar Bear: 14
Sheep: 13
Chimp: 6
Ogre: 14
Mandrill: 12
Rhino: 16
Gorilla: 14

Incidentally, you all have a partial BW Center table through Project CREED. Here is the full thing, including the Chimp, for instance:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030207053331/http://www.bwcenter.com/blackandwhite/creatures.phtml

Should I get Creature Isle again, I'll test the other two.

Finally someone who's gone and done what I've been wanting to do.

Anyway, I'm genuinely surprised about the strength, I honestly thought the species had some effect on the damage dealt. I guess they only affect the finishing move, the rate in which they cast miracles and how fast they strike... Or is there another factor affecting that perhaps? *hint hint*

Well, I found that a creature's stats was relative to his species and his attributes.. Clearly, not in everything.

I might do some tests myself, if I can get motivated

Heh. I finally did it when I realized it'd actually be pretty easy. And indeed: playing up to the Guide battle was the most tedious part.

I am surprised about strength as well, but at evidence the result was clear to me. Feel free to doubt and double check, though. Otherwise, I am pleased with simplifying the trade off game.

I wondered if there might be somewhere else where "strength" differs. Ease of gaining or holding high values...? But I'll worry about that when evidence comes to light.

Vir as you seem like you want to experiment..........
This could yield some interesting  results have your current creature carry a rock of somewhere near maximum weight and send him on a journey.
Then have him  return to his pen still carrying the same rock and observe the results.

Fatness can also be a key feature in a creature  energy for casting and damage reduction are just 2 of the features.

Have fun with this but don't get to entangled with this aspect of the game.

What am I trying to find out with carrying the rock? How much strength increases for such and such proportion rock over a given distance?

I have read everything I can find on creature stats. Fatness increases "HP" at the cost speed. Now you bring up casting. It was my understanding being fatter made you tire faster. Do you mean that holds for tiring of casting spells as well, or does being fatter give you more "MP"?

My understanding of the game  mechanics  are that the  the bigger and fatter your creature is  the better  his damage resistance and casting stamina.
Carrying the rock will increase his strength but at the cost of  some fatness and stamina.

Now for SP games  the best strategy is to start a new land as weak and thin as you can ,  Growth is fixed so you can't go back.  This gives the easiest progress through the land if you then increase fat and strenth.

For MP games Big Fat and Strong  is best.

There is little point in  having a weak  creature that can move a bit faster but can not cast more than 1 or 2 spells before  becoming exhausted.
The fatness is a reserve of power size gives speed and your training gives "the edge"

Back