Could Not Create The 3D Device

TBiRDSWaG

Trying to play B&W2 on my windows 7 desktop.
It installs fine but when i try to run it, a message box displaying "Could Not Create The 3D Device" pops up and then the  application is forced to quit.

I read the other discussion about this topic but it didnt really help.

Im Running:
windows 7 64 bit
3rd gen i7
AMD 7770 Graphics Card
8 GB RAM

DirectX Verison 11
Before you jump on the DirectX Verison, B&W2 run on my friends laptop no problem and it also has the same DirectX verison  :suspect
Thing is he already has Age of empires installed on his laptop.
I was thinking since it runs on his laptop, and not my desktop he probably has software that i dont have seeing as he already has age of empires on his laptop
Just a thought

Any Suggestions?

I suppose the first thing to try if you haven't already done so is to run it in compatibility mode. Beyond that there isn't much I can help with but I'm sure some one else on here can.

From memory...
I had this problem years back with Vista. I had DX10  then.  After days of looking over all the sites that have now closed I couldn't find an answer for B&W and another game that I forget which one.
Any way the cure for me was to install DX9 form the disk without removeing DX10.  I have since upgraded to DX11 and the game still works.
So My advice........
Create a "system restore point" just to be safe.
Install DX9
Try the game.
If it  works for you great.  :D
If it don't work then revert to your restore point and no harm done.

Whatever happens let us know good or bad results.

As far as I am aware the DX installer will not overwrite newer DX files. So your DX11 should be safe and you just get the missing files  that were in DX9 and needed by quite a few older games.

Back