Correct Version Error?

GallopRider

I finally got my beloved BW1 disc back, and in perfect condition!  I installed it on my shiney new laptop, but when I went to patch the game, I recieve an error saying "you do not have the correct version of Black&White installed to use this patch."

What went wrong, and how can I fix this?  Neither 1.1 nor 1.2 are working.  I capitulate.  I think I need some  :help.

Am running Win7 4-bit and game is installed in default directory...

Fixed
Note to other help-seekers:  After uninstalling BW1, do a registry/disc cleanup and delete the entire "leftover" contents of the Lionhead Studios Ltd. from your Program Files.  Then you can proceed to reinstall the game.

If you find  you get save  or  stored  data problems  it is mainly due to the program being installed to the default directory.
Windows 98 didn't care if  a program altered data in that folder Vista and W7 are much more  security  aware.

Install it in the same place where a spore install guide suggests it. I am the one that suggested it.

My W7 pc died.. graphics card overload.. my own fault.. currently on an old xp.

If I recall, I think it was C:\Public\Games\«GameNameHere»

I could be wrong :p

Also, run the patches from the BW directory. It tends to be nicer (read work better) if they are in the folder. :p

Wow, answers coming in after you solved your own problem? ???

How do you like Win7, by the way? I heard it is pretty slick, but I haven't had a chance to give it much time since my new computer is a netbook running XP and my mother doesn't let me fool around with HER computer, which she has already managed to infect with a virus, because she is convinced that I killed her last one by getting a virus on it.  :p She was using a Norton free trial, it expired, and she just went without protection for three weeks. I use free AVG, which is infinite time but limited features, but more than enough for 99.999% of the Internets, as long as you don't go into slummish places intentionally, and no problems here; We got our computers in the same week.  :rolleyes

Anyway, I had a peculiarly similar problem on XP a couple of years ago, but it was more of a, "Huh? Well, that's annoying" thing when uninstalling and reinstalling and finding that the folder was already there and was fragmenting mah hard drive by reinstalling things already there. That was my eMachines, so I assumed it was some error in the drive cased by part of the motherboard spontaneously exploding while another part melted into a corrosive acid all over everything.

Just about any folder name will be ok as long as it is not...C:\Program files.....
D:\Games and C:\Old Games both work for me.

Back