BW1 on Windows 7

Parts of your savegame are stored in your registry, from what I've been told.  So, if you switched computers or did an extensive registry cleanup (with something like CCleaner, etc.), you may not be able to use and/or find the old saves.  I had that type of problem when I was using a compatability mode.  Play around with the settings until you find one that works.  I run Win7 64-bit and play BW1 with no compatability settings, just Run as Administrator.

Hope this helps!

A suggestion would be, is to first create a profile with Exactly the same name,

and then replacing it with your back-up :)

Ah ok, I might try that, or just endure through the tutorials.

The reason I want to skip them is because I want to use the extreme growth map immediately, and it says to skip all the tutorials and not to feed your creature. I don't want to get him max size, I just want to grow him maybe half size so he's a little big during my play through because you can play through the game entirely without your creature growing much at all and that's no fun :p

It's not that critcal if your creature has gone through the tuorials or whether he's eaten or not. The less habit he's got the easier it is. The thing is that it's done early enough. A creature will stop growing rapidly at the age of 18 and with the extreme growth map it should take about 6 - 7 years. So do the math. :)

Hey, long time no post. I'm considering upgrading to Windows 7, and this thread is wonderful. It's nice to know that Black & White 1 will work.

Does your alignment stick when playing with Windows 7? What version of Windows 7 are you using? I've found that with Windows Vista, my alignment tends to get lost when you save and exit the game.

My alignment has definitely stuck, and I'm using 64 bit Windows 7.  If it doesn't it's more likely than not a permissions issue.

Thanks for your reply, and please excuse my late one.

I've just upgraded to Windows 7, the 32-bit version. I had the 32 bit version of Vista, and I didn't want to fry my processor. Do any of you use the 32 bit version and found that B&W has behaved, with alignment sticking and all?

Hey everyone! I'm happy to report that after installing B&W 1 on my 32-bit, Windows 7 laptop using Cowgod's tips, the game works! I installed it into C:\Users\Public\Games. The alignment even sticks! Booyah!

You guys = :yourock:

Despite following several tips that helped others, I’m still stumped. Runblack stops responding at launch. There is no error message, just a black screen with a movable cursor.

- I’m on a Win 7 Administrator account.
- In addition to the default directory, I’ve tried installing to C:\Games and alternately to C:\User\Public\Games. This last location does allow for successful patching.
- Between every installation, I’ve searched for and deleted any registry keys, values or data that contain “Lionhead” and again for several variations based on “Black & White.”
- Shutting down antivirus and firewall software has no effect.
- I’ve tried running in every available compatibility mode.
- “Run as Administrator” has no effect.

In every case, launching Black & White invariably results in the same black screen – what am I missing? Any suggestions?

System specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (v6.1.7600)
Intel i7 950 quad core
GeForce GTX 285 (v260.99 driver)
9 GB physical ram
655 GB of hard drive available

Edit: Also tried a no-cd exe -- same problem...

I assume an other program is interfearing still - Try installing the game in Safe mode.

Also, use Setup.exe once it is installed to get to a 'custom' level of detail.

I suggest shutting down ALL programs your pc starts, then try BW for play, if it works. Something is mucking up! ^^

Other then that, I have no idea what could be wrong. - I would require to actually be behind your pc to figure it out then ! xP

Or, a more 'detailed' description of what happens, or any error messages prior, or during other games.

Safe mode. . .of course!

It’s a bit late for me to have another go tonight, but I like the way you think. Thanks!

Many thanks, Sylcai,

I’m happy to report that I can now successfully launch and play Black & White. There was an additional issue after installing in Safe mode, however – absolutely terrible frame rates.

Black & White is now running correctly but the chain of events that “fixed” the situation is so inexplicable that I though I’d better list the entire sequence here. Hopefully those who are also dealing with a similar problem, with a similar system, can figure out what specifically made the frame-rate difference:

For what it’s worth, I failed to mention earlier that I’d already applied Cowgod’s custom video settings and retained these after the reinstallation.

I uninstalled Black & White, regedit cleaned and reinstalled in Safe mode to C:\Users\Public\Games\bw1 (yes, I gave Black & White a custom folder name). At this point I also installed the creature unlockers and then updated to v1.2, followed by installing the Village Banter and Soccer add-ons.

There was a lengthy delay between launching from my runblack shortcut to clearing the infamous black screen. 2 minutes and 5 seconds to be exact. But Black & White did successfully launch despite a terrible frame-rate studder, and I managed to save my first game after building the temple on land 1.

Next I tried a no-cd.exe. Although it didn’t make any discernable difference, I used it for the remainder of these trials.

Per a suggestion on Lionhead’s boards, I added runblack’s exe to my 3D settings in nVidia’s control panel but this didn’t make a difference. Even tinkering with individual nVidia control panel settings specific to runblack had no effect.

I next downloaded and installed Fraps: I was getting 5 frames per second.

Changing the in-game video settings from Custom to Low, from Low to Medium and finally to High didn’t have an effect. I exited the game between every video setting change and relaunched.

Just for grins I tried XP Service Pack 2 compatibility (but didn’t enable “run this program as an administrator”). It worked! Frame-rate lag be gone! So I tried Vista Service Pack 2 compatibility and this, too, worked.

Here’s where it gets really strange: I next removed any compatibility settings, just I had started out with, and what do you know? Black & White now runs fine in Windows 7. How or why this would be the case is beyond me, that’s why I’ve listed the entire sequence so others may ponder the what-the-hey aspect of this all. All I can say is that I’m one happy gamer off to enjoy the spoils!

Thanks for that added kick, Sylcai.

I'm glad you can now play BW1! :)

I'm very sorry about all the issues you had. But! Now that you've had them, anyone else that will, can learn from your experiences.

And, I do hope you mean the latter as positive? - I wouldn't wanted that I offended you? :S

No, no offence taken.

It seems that I posted too hastily last night. . . joyous relief can do that.

After going through last night’s motions, I spent some time reacquainting myself with Land 1’s temple, scrolls, signpost and so on, and then shut the PC down for the night.

Unfortunately the frame rate problem returned after I turned the PC on this morning and gave B&W1 another go. Apparently whatever settings fixed the problem last night are only temporary and don’t last beyond rebooting.

I’ll tinker around a little more once I return home today. Might be a day or two before I feel confident enough to post again, assuming that I have something worth adding, that is.

I’m sorry to report that I cannot fully recreate the earlier frame-rate success from a couple nights ago.

Toggling between various nVidia control panel, setup.exe, compatibility modes and in-game settings had a positive cumulative effect but the slate was wiped clean with each reboot.

Once again I uninstalled and reinstalled the game for a fresh start and at least it still launches despite a 2+ minute delay. I also tried patching to 1.3 (and added the necessary p5dll.dll file) but the frame rate problem remains.

Forcing the game to run on a single core didn’t make any noticeable difference.

I noticed a setupstrings.txt file in the game folder and took a look. It seems that there’s a Directx problem. From the bottom of the file:

There is a problem with your DirectX subsystem
Error
15 Bit Color
16 Bit Color
24 Bit Color
32 Bit Color
Cannot write to the registry, please check your access privileges

My administrator account already has full permissions and I reinstalled both Directx 7a (from the game disk) and Directx 9c. No change.

Black & White might be playable even with horrid frame-rates, but quick actions (like slapping my creature) can and do freeze the game.

As you might imagine, I’m not willing to spend a couple hours toggling settings back and forth, loading and quitting the game with each change to incrementally improve frame-rates before actually getting a playable session. Sorry to say, but I’m at a complete loss.

I just used Cowgod.net

I'm running really smooth. I'm not sure if you used it yet but thats how me and a bunch of my friends got the game running.

Thanks for the tip, xxxKya,

Cowgod’s tutorial was among my first stops when I began searching for answers. I came to these boards after following his (her?) instructions. Clearly there’s something peculiar about my system hardware, software and its hidden or obscure settings that are mucking things up. Just can’t put my finger on it, is all.

Holy crap..! >_> You're on windows 7! Don't use Direct x 9c!

Use 11 ! - update your Nvidia driver too while your at it. - I had thought you had done such things.
The latest Nvidia drivers fix the 'install compatibility' issue they had before.

I think that might be the reason why settings don't stick.

But that  is why you have horrid fps! - The drivers are outdated, and not compatible with windows 7

Thanks Sylcai,

Yes, Directx 11 is installed: I’d hoped that retro-installing 7a and 9c might somehow magically relieve my problem. It was worth a shot, no?

You’re right, though.

So I uninstalled, and reinstalled nVidia’s latest driver for x64 200 series; v260.99. I also reapplied the latest Directx patch. Each was done while extension were disabled – but to no avail.

I’ve had the good fortune of successfully running both new and surprisingly old games on this 1 ½ year-old machine without trouble, however there was one title (was it one of the newer Tomb Raiders?) that caused me no end of trouble. Despite the suggestions and help of others, I could not get the thing to run properly.

Something like six months passed and eventually I tried again. I don’t think I even reinstalled the game, it was still preserved on my hard drive from before. What do you know? It launched and played just fine! Well, maybe Black & White is the same sort of thing.

Thanks for the help everybody, especially you Sylcai, but I’ll give Black & White a rest and see what happens at a later date.

I suppose your pc wanted your attention :p - It'll do just fine if you neglect it for a while then?

Back