Buying a new computer

hmmm...I may get a little over a gig hardrive soon......as soon as my friend brings his burner and we burn our show clips.

Thanks, CravinMorehead.  I've been playing around with configurations from Dell, Gateway, HP, and Alienware with specs ranging in the $2000-$2500 range. Which is most important with a game like BW2--faster processor, more RAM or better video card?

Mary26 said:
Which is most important with a game like BW2--faster processor, more RAM or better video card?

All of them. sort off :D
Ram the least, but you should have at least 1 GB

If your looking for something which will last a few years then you should consider how it will run BW3 and future games. BW2 can run on a lesser system than what your looking at.

You need to also consider Windows Vista (Longhorn) that OS needs more memory From everthing I've read about it. If you plan on buying a new computer now get as much ram as you can afford to.

Mary26 said:
Dell does not offer a better ATI video card with that computer. I think that I can come down on the hard drive, because I have a 30GB now and I don't use all of that.  I would rather keep the memory as high as possible because I don't want to have to add memory for a while.  I am trying to find out how much computer I can get for $2500, but if what I need turns out to be less than that, great, I will buy a printer.  I think this is like buying a car, you are getting something that you are going to use everyday for years, so you want to do it right.  Anyone have an opinion about Intel Pentium 4 vs. AMD Athlon?

Does Dell sell AMD processors?
If they do, I would go this route. I've always been an Intel user myself, but for gaming AMD outperforms Intel on any benchmarks I've seen. This is hotly debated, however. As an extra incentive AMD has 64-bit processors out. At this point you'd still be using the 32-bit capability, but 64-bit is the future. This could save you an upgrade down the road.

I decided to go with the Dell XPS 600.  A little different than what was suggested above (for example, I went with a 17-inch monitor because I don't like big, huge monitors), but basically the same specs.  It will be ordered on Monday!  :yourock:

Integrated video = bad
Integraded sound = no so bad
I've had integrated sound for 4-5 years and it sounds better than my friends sound cards.

I'd say Dell has the best support for their stuff.. XPS is nice, but expensive.
Alienware as far as I know doesn't have good support.. but their computers are quite nice.

ATI isn't bad, but they're falling behind in the next-gen cards. Their high end card can't compete with nVIDIA's.

CravinMorehead said:
Video Cards 256MB Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX

OK, this is what I'm going to get, but I don't see it listed in the NVidia cards that someone quoted in another message as ones that work with BW2.  It is a brand new card, so I don't know why it wouldn't work.  There are a few messages floating around that mention an update from NVidia especially for BW2.  Would I need to download that before I install BW2?

That'll be quite the system then. :)

One of the first things you should do when getting your new PC would be to update all drivers.  Download them now and put them on a CD so that you'll have them handy when you get it,

i love the way the UK ~ USA exchange rate makes it cheaper for me then you guys :p
i plan to go through the options of upgrading specific parts of the comp,

Hell all i want is a better vid card, sound is perfect as far as im concerned and i would like to know where 200mb or so of my ram has gone but that ones just probably a chip outta place ??? everything else is fine especially my amount of space and having your slave and master harddrive backwards (f is master so c's slave) really f***s up viruses that affect only c drives :laugh: i recommend renames or swapping of your drive names to everyone!
About my vid card issue i was planning to buy a nvidia fx5500 for £1, i know thats gonne go up in 3 days but i dont mind thats some cheap starting bid hehehe, because i dont really care about the latest vid card as long as it plays bnw2 im happy for a while. my processers 1.8ghz so its old yeah but it plays stuff good.

Im debating to get a brand new comp or continue building up this so far custom machine i got running :cool:
choices are hard >.<

When your new computer arives go to windows update immediatly and get everything update recomends. Check for the latest Drivers for your Vid card and sound card Creative has an update scanner like windows update.
All the computer manufacturers put a crapload of offers and other uneeded junk on the intial install of windows.  I usually go through Customers machines and uninstall as much as possible. ( I do field repairs and installations as well as networking) after you get it cleaned up as much as you like, dump Norton antivirus if it was included, get either Avast antivirus or AVG antivirus  both are free and work great.
I would say get ZoneAlarm firewall but I've heard the latest version was buggy and caused some problems. I use Kerio personall firewall and its worked fine for me.
After all that run disk cleanup and defragment your drive.
Now your ready to install Black and White 2! Dont forget to DL the patch and tiger unlocker. :)

Whats weird about my compute ris I have all sorts of advanced cards;: an Asus 10000x video card(or something around there cannot rember exact name), an NViDia Sound card and 3D card, and last but not least I have 5 memory chips(not sure how I found a motherboard capable of holding that many mem chips.) But despite this My memory is only like 81,974MB, I find it weird I somehow support that much and have ample space left with that small mass of memory.

I imagine that I will have to "break in" my new computer by installing things I want and uninstalling things I don't want.  I saw BW2 in a local store, but it doesn't make any sense for me to buy it until I get my new computer because it definately won't run on my current one.  By that time you all will have told me all the things to do so I will be ready to play!  :D

Aben said:
Whats weird about my compute ris I have all sorts of advanced cards;: an Asus 10000x video card(or something around there cannot rember exact name), an NViDia Sound card and 3D card, and last but not least I have 5 memory chips(not sure how I found a motherboard capable of holding that many mem chips.) But despite this My memory is only like 81,974MB, I find it weird I somehow support that much and have ample space left with that small mass of memory.

pardon my brain fart, i have an asus a7n8x deluxe mb, 1gb 3200 dda mem, 80 gb hd, ati 9600xt vgc, logitch 5 spkr surround, amd athlon 3200 xp cpu.  my dad custom moded the case cutting blow holes with purple neon fans, a plexi-glass side panal with a blow hole and purple neon fan, painted the case in black enamal.  powered by a rosewill 500w psu

Looks like a good machine, although personally I would prefer an AMD system. Generally, the hyperthreading is good for mulitiple programs; I tend to categorise Pentiums for 'normal' programs etc and Athlon's for games, but there isn't much difference. Except in the price of course!

Have fun with it, should be able to handle BW2 a treat.

Back