Buildings and their effects

RageTheSage

Ok, I'll admit, I haven't actually finished a complete game yet...I keep restarting and trying new things, so I haven't purchased each building yet

I'm wondering what effect each building has on it's surrounding buildings...just learned a few things from reading other posts and 'Did you know' signs

Civic
--------------
Altar- increases happiness, mana... miracles etc...
Tavern- increases happiness, place to spend free time
Graveyard- increases happiness
Nursery- increases birth rate, children will play here during the day letting the parents work more quickly since they aren't tagging along
Rest Home- increases ??,elderly move here freeing up housing for more population growth
Temple- increases happiness, worshippers increase mana charge at altar
University- ??
Baths- increases happiness
Amphitheatre- increases happiness, place to spend free time

Dwellings
----------
Villa- basic housing, balanced between happiness and capacity
House- simple housing, placed close together they get capacity bonus but cause unhappiness
Hovel- slum housing, placed close together they get capacity bonus but cause unhappiness
Manor- low capacity, but increased happiness and impressiveness
Mansion- lowest capacity, but increased happiness and impressiveness
Skyscrapers- stackable, can house many in a small space but stacked too tall causes unhappiness(Plus, one epic can wipeout all your housing)

Embellishments
--------------------
Punishment Spike- increased productivity, decreased happiness (great for improving refineries and epics)
Lamp- ??
Garden(meadow)- increased happiness, creates livestock, place to spend free time
Well- increased happiness, ??
Fertility Statue- increased birth rate
Column- ??
Naming Fountain- name your villagers
Torture Pit- ??

Industrial
--------------
Storehouse- safely stores resources, left outside of this they slowly decrease in number
Field- grows grain...
Creature Pen- creatures pen...
Pot Market- villagers will decorate their homes with pots
Plant Market-yaddayadda...
Statue Market-yadda...
Granary- place to refine grain, increasing yield from fields
Prison-??
Lumber Mill- place to refine wood, increasing yield from trees
Armory- recruit swordsman
Ranged Armory- recruit archers
Siege Workshop- recruit siege weapons
Smelter- place to refine ore, increasing yield from mines

As you can see, I haven't figured them all out yet(and may have a few wrong) if you can add anything or make any corrections, please do :)

@ Rage - might as well lend some of my own insight to help fill in the blanks.  Mind you, glitches (lockups during the cutscene intro to the final Land) have kept me from fully completing BW2, so even I don't have all the answers.

The University marginally increases productivity as a whole, but has very little impact on happiness.  It also allows you to purchase Tomes, which are basically Lore books regarding the past and present of Eden; i.e., what happened to the other tribes, the Immortal, Creatures, etc..  At only 1,000 tribute apiece, they're worth exploring and may impact the effectiveness and efficiency of your workers.

Rest Homes give a modest boost to Happiness, as well as freeing up space for population growth.

Lamps boost productivity ever so slightly, about 1% apiece, and only when placed close together.  They do, however, add to building diversity and please the people slightly.  Plus, they have their own aesthetic appeal.

Wells are to Lamps what Torture Pits are to Punishment Spikes; they're the 'big good' embellishment that enhances the town in general.  Whether or not they have other uses, I have yet to determine.

Torture pits greatly enhance productivity, decrease happiness, and allow you to sacrifice villagers in full view of the surrounding people, greatly decreasing your alignment.

Placing Temples, Altars, and Wonders close together adds enormous productivity bonuses to each structure, greatly improving mana charging/recharging rate.

I've never used prisons or columns, so not much to say as far as those structures go.

Back