Black and white being hosted?

Unfortunately we have no tutorial on this one.  Might I advise doing a search of the forums?

There are a good few threads about Hamachi (although plenty of them are just about others hosting games there).

If you are still having specific issues, post more details here.  The online players can be a bit secretive sometimes and prefer to help people one-on-one via PM rather than just posting details on the forums.

fenton_pat said:
Unfortunately we have no tutorial on this one.  Might I advise doing a search of the forums?

There are a good few threads about Hamachi (although plenty of them are just about others hosting games there).

If you are still having specific issues, post more details here.  The online players can be a bit secretive sometimes and prefer to help people one-on-one via PM rather than just posting details on the forums.

I tried search before I posted :yes.

I do recall something about multiplayer but It was soo hard to get it working :D I could never go through with it.

I hope this helps out :
Hosting
Black & White uses a peer-to-peer networking model, which means that there are no dedicated servers which host multiplayer games. Instead one player must decide that they will act as the host for the game, and other players connect directly to their machine.

Ideally, the player with both the fastest computer and the best network connection should act as the host for the game: a slower host will increase the chances that the game will go "out of sync' and may disconnect players.

If you are playing from behind a firewall, you must arrange for the following ports to be opened:

tcp       2611
tcp       2612
tcp       2613
tcp       2614
tcp       6667

udp       2613
udp       2614
udp       6500
udp       13139
udp       27900
If you are playing from behind a router, and wish to act as a host for a game, you must have a router capable of performing port-forwarding. To the rest of the internet, your router is the only visible point - and so to act as a host for a game, your router must be configured to forward incoming traffic on the above ports to the machine from which you wish to play the game.

In addition, Black & White must be told the public address of your router (the address visible to the outside world) so that it can tell other players where to connect. This can be done by creating a text file called "commandline", placing it in the application folder, and entering the following on its first line:

-hostip=xxxx
The "xxxx" string should be replaced with the IP address (or DNS name, if any) of your router.

If it doesn't pm me I'll contact a buddie of mine who's a wiz at these things and he'll help out.

I don't have much time now and couldn't go through all of this but I think it's related :

BW Phoenix is a program that enables you to play people across the internet on Black and White by using the LAN interface built into the game

Why this? Can't I use a fake LAN?
Fake LANs aren't that good for this sort of purpose really, some of them will work, but they will be slow as they all have to route every single bit of data. BW Phoenix only routes the data it needs to, and enables the game to make a direct connection with other clients. This means you get a lag free game experience, and are able to change certain Black and White specific parameters.

Having said that, if you haven't got an existing LAN connection, if you install hamachi, you can tell bw to use the network interface hamachi gives to you, then use my program to seek other game clients in LAN without connecting anywhere.

Who can run it?
Anyone who has a network adapter - black and white needs to see one in order to let you in to the internal lan interface. You can probably use a program to fake one.

Hosting
To run the lobby server, you need the port 6012 forwarded
To host a game after connecting to a lobby, you need the ports 6014 and 2612 forwarded. See http://www.portforward.com for more information on that. You do NOT need to forward any ports in order to JOIN an existing game.

Connection
You must have a connection using some sort of LAN interface, and your connection speed must be greater than 256k. I cannot code around this limitation, its just the way the game works. (Thankyou Daniel Deptford for getting that piece of information to me )

Ok then, so how do I use it?

First extract whichever it is you are using to a folder somewhere, so the dll is in the same folder as the exe. That is all the installation process requires.

The client

Ok, not going into great detail, but the main steps to getting a game started are:
Find someone running a lobby server, or run one yourself ( See below )
Type their IP into the box
If you have certain ports forwarded ( 6014 and 2612 ) you can check the box to 'enable hosting'
Click Connect

This starts off the program and it will hopefully have connected to the server. If not, then check the settings and try again.

The Next Step.

Load up Black and White and enter the 'Local Game' area once its loaded. This should bring you to a lobby screen.

Now, this is important. Someone needs to have checked that box to enable hosting. It basically makes you visible to the other people who have connected.
If you are hosting, you may not see anyone in the lobby, you just have to wait for someone else to come along and do the process below.

To start a game, you just click on that person, and select 'join game' down the bottom right.

This brings you to the chat area, where you can talk to the other players in the game, and set the winning conditions. When everything is to your satisfaction, click the 'ready' button if you're not hosting, and click 'start' if you are hosting. The game should then start.

If the game is to crash then, the person who's game you joined hasn't forwarded their ports correctly. Yell at them very loudly and tell them off for being idiots.

The Lobby Server

Ok, the lobby server. The lobby server is what all the clients connect to, and it routes all the messages around after modifying them. You need port 6012 forwarded to run the lobby server.
IMPORTANT: If you connect to your own lobby server, make sure to use your external IP address as the server IP - get that from here - , not your local network one. People will not be able to see you if you don't do this. This is also the IP you give other people.

The Server is simple to run once you have your ports forwarded. Just click 'Start Server' and people will be able to connect, assuming you have forwarded your ports correctly.

I'm sure in time other people will write a better guide, because I'm a coder, not an FAQ writer, and I'll replace this with the one they write.

Planned updates:

Use the lobby server as a forwarder, so you don't need to forward ports to host a game
Add the ability to change your name before you log in
Fix any stability problems people bring to light now I've released it
Enable the transfer of maps between connected clients
Anything else I can think of while I'm working on this.

Someone feel free to write a better version of this and I'll paste it over, I'm very tired.

Make sure to check frequently for new versions, as its a long way from being completely done as of yet.

Ok!

Update!

BW Phoenix 1.1 is now released.

Find the updated client and lobby at the usual location.

I've added an option, so if you can't connect to your own server, you can connect to 127.0.0.1 and override the IP the server allocates to you - write in your external IP to the optional textbox.

Back