B&W won't launch

AppleApe

Note that vid has no sound.  Upon clicking "Play" or opening runblack.exe, a window named "Lionhead" opens for about a second, and then closes...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io1N1vi5aeg[/youtube]

Specs:
Windows XP Home Edition 32bit SP2 (installed from Dell disc)

Intel PENTIUM E8400

CORE 2 DUO

3.0 GHz Processor

2 GB Ram

80 74 GB SATA Harddrive

SATA DVDROM-RW

Integrated Sound & Video

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100

I tried getting video drivers, but they did not seem do to do anything...
If its the GPU, I plan to upgrade (I have a good card, just need to upgrade the PSU), I am just wondering if there is a way to run it now?

Everything should work fine on that PC as it is.
You didn't say what steps you had taken to get it running so the first step is to follow the Windows 7 guide the same steps are for other windows versions too.

If the game still won't run then there are a couple of more things to try.

Just an after thought did you leave your ORIGINAL CD in the drive as it needs to be there for the game to launch.  The game will install from a disc copy or ISO but it won't run. PM me for an answer as there are several nocd or trainers but onluy one reliable one.

I did leave the CD in, and it is genuine (NOT cracked).
I will give the tutorial a go sometime soon. 
Thank you for response!  :)

Read your PM.

But I know that your game  will run  on almost any PC I could imagine even your 64bit  machine running on a 32bit OS.  :D

Gremxula said:
Read your PM.

But I know that your game  will run  on almost any PC I could imagine even your 64bit  machine running on a 32bit OS.  :D

I see, thank you. :)  I am running the 32bit because that is all I could find, :laugh2 I am trying to get Vista, since the comp came with a code.
I guess I'll rip the CD drive out of the Dull (Dell)/Old Molasses, it uses what appears to be the same connector for its disc drive, it is 2002/2003 era.

SPEND NO MONEY

Your XP is fine as a OS if you only run 32bit software which is most even today.

Keep the CD dirve it is fine.

The problem is probably with the "Starforce 2  copy protection" back in the old days lots of games were affected and hundreds of 1,000's players games would not launch. There was a patch released by Starforce to get over the problem, but it is now difficult/imposible  to find. Firmware updates to get over this long obsolete problem would prove as difficult.

Just try the suggested replacement ?????.exe if  the game now works .......then you have a choice .....keep a working game or try to find another answer but at least you would know where the problem is.

If the game still won't work then you have a different problem, but at least we will know it is not Starforce or damaged Starforce sector related.

DirectX maybe next in line ....if the above has not got your game running.

One step at a time will find a fix.

Gremxula said:
SPEND NO MONEY

Your XP is fine as a OS if you only run 32bit software which is most even today.

I only have it for 27 days, after that I need a code.  I tried copying the files from a working install to a flash drive, then my comp, and it is the same thing (except it said "BLACK & WHITE" before failing to open a window). 
So, then I tried a direct install to the flash drive, which worked just fine with a Windows 7 Dell laptop (ran it right off the flash drive).
When I tried that with my comp and it would not launch.
I have two main guesses:
• Remember the Dell that would NOT run any game, no matter what? 
It's OS was installed from the same disc, so maybe it is a bad OS.
I tried GalCiv, and the SAME symptoms that the Dell had are displayed when I try to launch it. 
•There is something wrong with my Comp, (I find that doubtful).

I don't think it is a bad install of the game, I think the OS just won't run it.
I will try downloading ALL drivers from the Lenovo site, I am not sure if it will do anything though...
Time to scour Ebay.  :laugh2

You can install B&W to any location you like but that install is specific to that PC, a flash drive may hold the files and allow you to play the game but it is the System Registry entries  that are needed to make the game work, these are on /in the same place as your OS install not your game install.
From memory that is exactly the fail to run problem that many of us had with Starforce , it has nothing to do with drivers as they will be all be up to date as far as the game is concerned.

PLEASE just follow the steps in these posts and PM then if your game still won't  work then you are unique in my 12+y history of getting the game working for 1'000's on many different sites.

Gremxula said:
PLEASE just follow the steps in these posts and PM then if your game still won't  work then you are unique in my 12+y history of getting the game working for 1'000's on many different sites.

I will.  :)  I, am, also going to test to see if it works on the Windows 8.1 preview, if it does, then the OS was the problem...  :angry

Gremxula said:
You can install B&W to any location you like but that install is specific to that PC, a flash drive may hold the files and allow you to play the game but it is the System Registry entries  that are needed to make the game work, these are on /in the same place as your OS install not your game install.
From memory that is exactly the fail to run problem that many of us had with Starforce , it has nothing to do with drivers as they will be all be up to date as far as the game is concerned.

I will test it vice versa, but, so far it worked fine from the laptop and not fine from my comp.  :blues:

B&W1  is proven to work on all Windows OS from W95 to W8.
I don't care how clever you  think you are, just pretend you are as dumb as a brick. Follow the advice you have been given and  then complain that the game won't work!

Sorry if I seem annoyed but over the 12y I have been doing this 99.99% that have asked the same question got  to play the game.
The other 00.001% is you.

Back