B&W hangs during save

gjw

Hi - I'm new to B&W and can't get it to successfully save the game.  Whether its a Cntl-S, a temple Save Room save, or an autosave, my machine just hangs.  The game is patched to 1.1 (which supposedly fixes 2 save bugs) but I'm still stuck.  I don't have the time to play the game through in 1 sitting and have to be able to save it.  Please help! TIA...gjw

Try the V1.20 patch and see if it helps.

Btw, which graphics card do you have?

Hi - I'm using a 4 year Dell with an ATI Radeon 7200 with an up to date Catalyst driver.  It runs the game smoothly at the game's highest graphics setting.

Hi - I just installed the 1.2 patch and during the install I got "extended error 1282" msg.  Now B&W can't find the CD regardless of how many times I insert the CD or which of my drives I put it in.  What do I do now?  TIA for your help.

It shouldn't do that. ???

The only thing I can suggest you do now is to backup your profiles, uninstall the game, then reinstal the game add the V1.20 patch and then restore your backup.

Good luck.

Hi again - I backed up my profile and then uninstalled/reinstalled.  I then applied the 1.2 patch and got the 1282 msg again.  I then restored my profile and could get into the game but when I do a CTRL-S I get a visual c++ runtime error - abnormal program termination, the game hangs again and I have to do a CNTL-ALT-DEL to get out of it.  I hate to keep bothering you but I'd really love to play this game.  Again, TIA for any help you can give me.

Hmm, kinda got me now. The reason I asked for you video card is that crashing on saves is it's something nVidia cards are more prone to.

I'm assuming your operating system is XP. Which service packs do you have installed?

My only suggestion is to do the ununstall and reininstall routine again. This time when the game is uninstalled, delete "all" of the folders and do a defrag of that drive. Then when reinstalling first make sure that your CD is clean with no scratches or specs of dirt.

And before you patch it or restore your profiles, play it unpatched and see if it will save properly. Then try installing the patch. V1.20 is recomended but not essential unless you want to play online.

Now if all that don't work I'd suggest you find a no-cd crack. That has been known to work.

Hi - I had it installed on an old Win Me pc but now I've installed it on a new XP machine.  The saves seem to work at the moment.  I've copied my backup of the profile over to the new machine and I'm going to try to get that into the game by using the restore function of the backup program.  If something in the profile is corrupted, though, I'll have to start from scratch with an uninstall/re-install and a brand new player.  Thanks for all the help!

Ahhh... Win ME.. Although the game is suppose to run on it, a lot of people have experienced difficulties doing so. You shouldn't have as much a problem with XP.

If your profile doesn't work, a reinstall should not be required. Just start another profile. And with either patch installed you can skip the annoying opening scenes and tutorial.

Hi - the old profile must have become corrupted.  I was able to get it into the game on the new machine but it brought the save problem with it.  Until I imported it, the game was stable, so I'll follow your advice and just start a new player.  Thanks again for the help.

Back