~A Hand Request~Anyone Is Welcome To Take A Crack At It~

Sarophie

Hello peoples! The old hand skins I have been using are starting to get a little old. I was hoping someone on here would be able to make me some hand skins seeing as how I don't have the slightest clue as how to even start skinning. Here is a description of the hands I am looking for.

Good: I would like a hand that sorta glows with a white/gold color yet still retains a natural skin look. A nice touch would be to add some very faint blue spirals to it. Something like the Tribal Wolf creature skin would be a good reference to what I mean.

Neutral: I would like a hand that just looks like a natural hand. The one the game gives you just seams to be to set on one color. A good reference for this would be the BW2 neutral hand.

Evil: This hand could go one of two ways for me, preferably both. I prefer #1 though. :yourock: :yourock:

1: It would be really cool to have a skeleton hand. And I mean detailed too. An off white like most of the skeletons you see would be good with a blackish grey color where the different pieces of bone separate. If someone could make this to really great detail, I would name them the Ultimate Detail Skinner. A good reference would be any clear picture you can find on google or something.

2: This hand would look more dead and rotting than anything else. It needs to look dry, cracked, and like you just took it out of the oven. Flesh is rotting away and the tendons and bone are becoming exposed. I will have to leave this one up to your imagination. Again, you need some serious detail skill here. You will also receive the Ultimate Detail Skinner title as well.

Thank you so much to whoever decides to take this challenge! :worship :worship :worship

~A Very Grateful Sarophie~

I'm no skinner, but I could do concept skecthes for the skinners...

I could create the TGA file for you..

sadly, due to something being wrong with the save format of TGA in PSP XI, I can't reconvert it to l3d :(

^^ I'll be working on it. As, it is something I want myself too, sadly, can't because of the conversion flaw.

Oh, and, BW1 hands can't glow. However, the skin could be edited in something nice still.
edit2;

Hands can't have to much detail, due to the way BW1 handles the files. To large,  and it won't appear, or very crooked.

Sounds interesting. Maybe make this a group project. :)

I'm a bit interested but can't do it all. It's also been a while since I've done any skinning. Just playing around and I think I've got the base hand to look more natural.

I like the idea of a skeleton hand but haven't been able to find any decent images so far. Also don't know how well it would morph from the base hand and look like since the palm on the model used is solid.

zypher, could you possibly drawn a skeleton hand using the below image as a guide?

Sylcai , try downloading and using Paint.net. The hand has a transparency at the base which PSP doesn't show. Paint.net shows the transparency and by saving it at 32 bit it does convert back properly.

Wow! I ever expected so many people to jump on this project so soon. Thank you all very much.

Zypher: Sketches would be great. They would provide some great referances. Maybe try them in different styles?

Sylcai: When it comes to the good hand, I never meant for it to actually glow, just kind of a whitish sheen if you know what I mean. If you are havinf problems with the file conversion, try using the tools in the BW1 Mod App Tools download section. They seemed to do everything right when I last played with them.
When it comes to size, you can actually squeeze quite a lot out of just a few kbs. I know that the looks won't be perfect but it is still possible to make a rather detailed hand.

Kays: A group project would be cool. It may get some of the old skinners and some new ones back into BW1 skinning. Don't worry about the morphing too much. The game usually handles oddball skins like these pretty well. If it does have any issues, I'll burn my brain out learning how to skin and I'll fix it myself. Then again, I should learn how to skin anyways...where are those old guides now.....

Again, thanks a ton peoples. I will check back in every now and then to see how things are going, provide help in any way I can, and update you on my skinning progress.

~Sarophie~

Edit For Kays: Thank you infinatly for providing that link to the paint.net. I have been looking for a program like this since I first heard about skinning. Never could afford that blasted Paint Shop... Welp, I will now go and test it out, maybe started practising on some of my backup skins.

Hi guys. I searched through MSN's pictures and found a few skeleton hands/x-rays that may help you. Here they are.

Thanks for the images. I did find one which I could use.

But, I don't know about doing a skelton hand. The model's too fat and the fingers are pointed. Plus the bone is lost where the index finger meets the thumb.

I gave the good hand a shot also but couldn't get it to a nice gold colour. Or even close to gold.

I am really sorry. I have been having some serious internet issues. This was meant to make it to my skinning post. Kays, if you can, can you please move this to my post or just delete this one and put it into the skinning post? I guess it reverted back to an old thread start page when I refreshed my internet... Sorry! :sorry :sorry :sorry

~*~ Original Post is below.~*~

This is my fifth time trying to get a bloody post out...*&$# Internet!!!
Ok, I'm good.

Nice go on the skelly hand. Maybe try an "aged" white for the bones and use an off black for the "void" parts. It won't be perfect but it will be a good start to something better. The detail on the wrist was amazing. The points may be odd but think off all those evil dudes you see with the long bony fingers. They gotta have some sorta point to their bones. You could also use another model. I don't really mind which alignment is used. A skelly hand can be anything. Just do whatever works best for you.

Quick question. How do you blend the colors in pain.net? All my skins look like they came from Mario64. It is just one color then straight to another color. Please and thank you!

After playing around with the hand skins, I see that it is pretty much impossible to get a gold tint on something without jacking all the other colors. Oh well. Maybe a turtle shell pattern hand?

I am doing pretty good on a turtle skin myself. I may post a pic later.

Lets pray this post actually gets through. Later! (Copies the post just incase.)

No problem, I just merged the two topics. :)

I'll give that  try for the Evil hand. Maybe it'll look a bit better.

Sorry, but I can't help with the colour blending problem. I'm back to using PSP.

Thanks for merging the posts. I really didn't wanna start a pointless thread, lolz. :p

Maybe I'll be able to find some guides on that paint program. Thanks anyways. :)

I better get back to my book. If I don't finish it by Friday, my English teacher will have a cow. I swear to god she is nothing but an old battle axe from the 15th century. Where did I miss the part about English making Trig & Calc look easy? I mean really, come on. :shocked

Later! :happytears:

I got paint.net, so finaly I will be able to make skins! :D

I will try to get something that is respectable up here soon :)

I made a neutral hand, however.. I think it also looks 'just one colour', and,.. l3d viewer thingie isn't very nice to me, can't seem to get the hand placement like I want it to screenshot it.

zypher said:
I'm no skinner, but I could do concept skecthes for the skinners...

I'dd like to see how the secondary evil hand choice would look. I'dd prefer it in 2d, as I can't really think 3d ^^;;

Base-back.png
Base-palm.png

Good-back.png
Good-palm.png

After some tinkering! :D

(Ignore the blue bit, it should be transperant)

zypher: "Have a cow" means that the person will freak out or overreact. An example would be. "That person sure is having a cow over the broken vase." I thought this was a rather prominent expression...

Sylcai: Dude, those hand skins are amazing! I love the way you have the spirals on the good hand. Very saintly. The blue is a nice touch as well even though it isn't meant to be there. I am also amazed that you were able to get them a goldish color. I couldn't get anything to look good and Kays said he didn't have any luck with it either. That is perfect for what I wanted. If you will, put up a download of the hands above in a pack. Thank you a ton! :yourock:

On a side note, I am working on a turtle skin as mentioned before. I think it is turning out quite nicely for a first attempt. It is gonna be kind of a war/mystic turtle. He has purple arm gems instead of the normal callus things. He has some warpaint on his chest with some mystic symbols on his back. He also has a little black face paint. I'll put up a pic of him after I get a little farther. Eventually I will move onto hands.

Later peeps. Thanks for all the work you are putting into this!

Well, the good hand is actualy credit to you! :p You said to use Tribal wolf! xD

And I did! ^^ It was just a bit of copy pasting, and mucking around with the positioning,

as you see, the thumb looks a bit weird, but, sadly, that can't be helped. (As the edit file dissapeared! :eek:)
And I don't really feel like making it again, as.. I forgot how I did it! xD

Wow, I didn't think anyone would actually go and copy the design from the Tribal Wolf. I just posted it as referance, lmao. Oh well, you made an awesome hand and that's what counts. My new copy of BW1 should be here any day now. I will put the skins in place before ever starting the game

Later. :cool:

I don't know when they will be up, but, I did upload them to Kayssplace about 4 hours ago ^^

T-T only thing now I need to find out is how to manipulate the g3d file to always pick the highest quality model.. instead of the lesser yet good quality model when zoomed in, yet not fully.

okay, I'll try to find the time to draw the second option (I have allot of homework tonight.)

yea, I've never heard anyone say 'have a cow' unless they were talking about a mother cow having a baby cow... I gues people just don't talk like that 'round where I live.

Nice looking hands Sylca. I've just added them to the Downloads.

http://www.bwfiles.com/files/index.php?action=file&id=1074

Back