Wolfnose..

Chetto

Elder
There is a bug with the wolves nose, old news, but I have reinstalled B&W2 and chosen the wolf and now he has this big, long, ugly nose  :p  I have v1.2 but is there something else to fix his..  nose?  :p
Btw,  I thought there was a topic about this but I couldnt find it so sorry if there is one.

I forget if thre was a topic on this.  ???

It looks like the V1.2 patch only fixes it a bit. It looks worst when the creature is 100% good and with a high percentage muscle. It's the same with the Evil Wolf also. But unfortunately,  there's really not much you can do about it if you want a muscular 100% good creature.

to have your Wolf look his best he needs to have around.. 50% muscle and 50% fat thats the 'default' setting and has the best look to him... you cn slide around those numbers a little but he looks best at or clost to 50% on muscle and fat

Thats sux :p    I like have him 100% good and muscled :p
I guess I will have to learn living with it  :D
Thnx for the help anyway  :)

I checked this out on your behalf today.

The fault is with the scale_bias.dds files. The evil file is too white around the face area (white means higher scale value of mesh) and too localised to the face. So when the game engine scales the mesh, you end up with a large nose on the wolf.

The good scale_bias is wrong as well as it's similar to the evil one but has a total scale across the whole mesh, not just the face. The wolf will only look normal when neutral. Any bias to evil or good and his nose will grow.

It's almost as if it was overlooked in the games bug finding/fine tuning sessions.

I'll try to remember to work on a better scale_bias file for you.

Mr_Soak.

that sounds like it is the problem rihgt there... then it has hopes to be fixed?
I noticed a few skins have less of a glitch than others.. the origional fox skin seems to have less of a glitch than the B&W2 origional skin..

I did some tests on this on Friday.

The scalebias_dds file affects how the evil, neutral & good texture maps blend between each other. I couldn't make it change how much the mesh is scaled though, so the  nose still has a bug.

It does however mean we can control how the ailgnment changes the texture blending. Which is pretty cool.

If you do change the scale_bias files, you can change the rgb image and the alpha, but only with white/grey/black paint.

I'll try to find out which other files make the scale of the mesh change.

Mr_Soak.

The scalebias_dds file affects how the evil, neutral & good texture maps blend between each other.

So that's what it controls. Thanks for that, I've been wondering for a while. :)

Not that much near as I can figure, but then again, I'm not really a modder :p .

I remember reading one of the B&W Dev team's posts not long after the release of the 1.20 patch that the found the problem occurred less with the patch, but was still there which implies that the source of the bug would be in more than one place, making it a very hard thing to fix and test indeed :yes .

hmm... well.. I do find the patch helps me.. ^ ^ and I dont mine keeping my wolf at 50-60% levels.. he still fights pretty well and all

Ok changing the scale bias file.

If you want to try it to see exactly what I mean follow this little tute:-

Back up your creature scale bias files for good & evil.

Now open them with either Photoshop or the GImp using the .dds plugin.

I use Photoshop and will explain for that tool set. I don't have the Gimp installed so I can't give instructions for that tool set, but the principles are the same.

In the Channels pallet, for the scale_bias_evil.dds file, you will by default be viewing the RGB channels, so we will do the first change on this.

Make sure your brush colour is set to white, black or grey and use the brush selector list to select the star brush. (It's near the bottom of the list.)

White is the first to change to the blending texture and black is the last, with all shades of grey in between these. So for the original wolf scale_bias_evil.dds file, the nose is white, so will be the first to change to the other textures.

Now paint on the texture, don't worry about being exact as this is just a test exercise so you can see the effects. Don't fill the whole image in one colour, as you won't see anything particular between the blends.

Now we are going to change the Alpha channel.

Go back to the channels list and click on the Alpha channel at the bottom. This lets you change the alpha value. (Transparent/see through ammount.)

Again use a black, white or grey star brush and paint on to the image.

Once done, save as .dds and choose DXT5 from the drop down list, then save it.

To view these files quickly and see the blending, open up the landscape editor and load a landscape. (Any will do as we're not interested in the land.)

Now zoom in close to the ground and Add a creature from the tool list.

Click on the ground to place the creature.

Now select the creature from the list in the Add creature window, that you've changed the scale_bias files for, increase the size slider to 100%.

Now when you change the alignment slider you can see the effects of changing the scale_bias files, as the three evil, good & neutral textures blend between each other.

This is just to show you what is affected by changing these files, please change them as you wish for your own needs.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful.

Mr_Soak.

Back