Various creature questions (BW1 &2)

Caidoz

I've recently made a creature enormous with the Extreme Growth map. It worked faster than described in the readme (maybe because he was a balloon by the time I got back.)

He's having trouble sleeping outside his pen. I don't want to punish him and have him sleep less. Leashing him to an object just makes him rest, but not sleep. What's a good way to trigger sleep, and to not have him return all the way back to the temple?

I guess I shouldn't have made him an ape, but I wanted to teach him miracles and then something came up so I decided to toss him into extreme growth (following the instructions in the readme.) I'm now on Land 3 and thankfully, Lethys' health spa treatment has gotten his weight down.

I want to swap my Sheep for a Chimp, teach it miracles, then swap it back. What sort of consequences should I expect from swapping? I know that his height will take a hit but he was a fraction away from being maxed out when I started playing.

B&W2:

Whenever I want to punish the creature for doing something wrong (especially picking up trees. I am evil atm so I don't have to worry about it but that's more like a workaround than a solution,) his behavior bubble opens up pertaining to something unrelated. Should I punish/reward it despite the bubble? A 'Do that sort of thing' bubble would be very nice.

Can I get my creature to wander around the map, instead of just staying in one area to looking for something to do there?

Not sure if it's appropriate but I can't remember all of the questions I had. I hope to ask more in the future, in this thread. TYVM in advance.

Caidoz said:
I've recently made a creature enormous with the Extreme Growth map. It worked faster than described in the readme (maybe because he was a balloon by the time I got back.)

He's having trouble sleeping outside his pen. I don't want to punish him and have him sleep less. Leashing him to an object just makes him rest, but not sleep. What's a good way to trigger sleep, and to not have him return all the way back to the temple?

Slepping in the pen is the best way the get him to grow.  He grows his fastest when he's asleep, in his pen and it's night time.  If one of those three conditions are missing, then he will grow more slowly.  If you're done with growing him, then I can see where you have the problem.  I believe if you put him on the leash of learning and leash him to a rock, he might go to sleep next to that.  That's about all I can think of really.  Maybe someone else knows better.

Caidoz said:
I want to swap my Sheep for a Chimp, teach it miracles, then swap it back. What sort of consequences should I expect from swapping? I know that his height will take a hit but he was a fraction away from being maxed out when I started playing.
Depending on the difference in intelligence between the two creature types and how you change from one creature to another, i.e. via the game or using a creature trainer, your creature may unlearn some percentage of miracles he has learned.  Ther's actaully a guide in how to get your creature to know miracles faster using this bug.  I can't remember which does which, but between third party creature changers and the game method of changing creatures, one changes miracle knowledge and the other doesn't.

The downside to using this method to teach him miracles is that while he'll know HOW to cast the miracles, he won't have been trained in WHEN to use them, so this can lead to an unpredictable creature.

Can someone clarify which method is the one that decreases/increase miracle knownledge when changing creatures?

Caidoz said:
B&W2:

Whenever I want to punish the creature for doing something wrong (especially picking up trees. I am evil atm so I don't have to worry about it but that's more like a workaround than a solution,) his behavior bubble opens up pertaining to something unrelated. Should I punish/reward it despite the bubble? A 'Do that sort of thing' bubble would be very nice.

Depending on how easy you wanted the whole creature training aspect to be, you may love/hate there is a new feature in B&W2 that lets you select ANY action the creature has ever done and reward/scold him for it.  The thought bubble only represents the very last thought he had.  It will rarely represent the very thing your aiming to educate your creature about.  Just go into the creature menu at the bottom of the screen and look through the tabs.  It should be easy to find.

Caidoz said:
Can I get my creature to wander around the map, instead of just staying in one area to looking for something to do there?

No idea on this one, sorry mate :( .

Hope all that helps.

He's having trouble sleeping outside his pen.

That's one of the consequences of using an all night map. He's gotten in the habit of sleeping in his pen and it does take a long time to break him of the habit.

Can I get my creature to wander around the map

Sure, it's good for them. It increases their curiosity and independence.  Keep an eye on him though, because they do tend to do the unexpected. If you can, try to keep a number of teleports open so he can get around easily.

fenton_pat said:
Slepping in the pen is the best way the get him to grow.  He grows his fastest when he's asleep, in his pen and it's night time.  If one of those three conditions are missing, then he will grow more slowly.  If you're done with growing him, then I can see where you have the problem.  I believe if you put him on the leash of learning and leash him to a rock, he might go to sleep next to that.  That's about all I can think of really.  Maybe someone else knows better.
It's a bit better now. He decided to sleep outside of Khazar's influence after toasting his town (something I approve of, creatures laying siege then recuperating). I think if I can reward him enough for that he'd be on the fence between returning home and sleeping where he is.

I would be changing my creature via the standard land creature changers. I'm assuming that since there aren't obvious warnings about a sheep acting like a monkey in a lion's body, that the most basic habits are affected by swapping and not those truly ingrained.

Kays said:
Sure, it's good for them. It increases their curiosity and independence.  Keep an eye on him though, because they do tend to do the unexpected. If you can, try to keep a number of teleports open so he can get around easily.
The question regarding BW2. I always liked my creatures wandering around and getting lost (but not too lost) in BW1. As you wrote, it's a good thing. I really hope it's still around in the sequel.

Back