Trees, Wood, and Global Settings

Zefire

Don't know if anyone needs this, but I thought I'd just post what I learned.

In the various Land scripts, SET_GLOBAL_LAND_BALANCE(5, 2.000000) controls how much wood you get from each tree.  5 is the setting for Trees-Wood and 2.000000 means each tree will produce 2x the wood. 

SET_GLOBAL_LAND_BALANCE(VALUE, MULTIPLIER)

So here is how CREATE_NEW_TREE then works.

CREATE_NEW_TREE(Forest#, "X-Cord,Y-Cord",TreeType, ?, Rotation, TreeSizeStart, TreeSizeMax)

Forest#, Not sure why the game assigns a tree to a "forest" but it does.  Think it has something to do with Villagers and chopping them down.  Villagers can't chop down a tree that isn't in a "Forest"

TreeType
Value BaseWood Desc
0 700 Maple
1 500 Eucalyptus
2 700 Bonsai
3 350 Pine, Green
4 350 Pine,Yellow
5 800 Oak, Yellow
6 800 Oak Green
7 500 Birch
8 300 Palm, Straight
9 300 Palm, Crooked
10 300 Palm, Leafy
11 300 Palm, Woody
12 350 Pine, Dark Green
13 15 Bush, Yellow
14 15 Bush, Dark Green
15 15 Bush, Green
16 400 Evergreen, Dense
17 400 Evergreen, Sparse
18 700 Evergreen, Dense
19 700 Evergreen, Sparse
20 100 Fence Bush, Dark Green
21 100 Fence Bush, Light Green
22 0 Dead Tree

?, No idea what this does, but it's always 1.  No noticeable effect with any other value.
Rotation, Self explanatory, Value of 0 will align it with X axis.  Value of 1 Looks like it adds 30 degrees of angle but that's just a guess.
TreeSizeStart, is the what the tree starts at when the match starts
TreeSizeMax, is how big the tree will grow to.  Any values over 1.0 will cause it to exceed the base wood values and size.

Another random fact.  Those "Ancient Forest" contain a base of 15,000 wood, or 43 Green Pines trees if picked by hand.  Villager foresters will also return the same amount to the village store.  Also when those forest reduce in size, they will drop 1 Dark Green Pine sapling which can grow and spread.  That being said, I usually replant "Ancient Forest" forest at the start of every game.  It can produce quite a bit more wood then 15,000 if replanted and left to grow over time.

Anyone know what the other "SET_GLOBAL_LAND_BALANCE" does?  Seems to be 0-6.  4 is villager speed.  6 is on each of the Skirmish maps but I can't tell what it does.  Haven't tested 0-3 yet.

Hi

I recently began to play with these files, and your post has been great help to me so thank you :)

Here are my guesses about animal flocks :

CREATE_FLOCK(4, "2858.50,3403.88", "2858.50,3403.88", 27, 14, 12)
CREATE_NEW_ANIMAL("2864.74,3529.45", 10, 4, 12, 22)
CREATE_NEW_ANIMAL("2862.39,3517.45", 10, 4, 12, 16)

CREATE_FLOCK( flockID,  "x,y" , "x,y" , p1 , p2 , townID)
  • Flock ID : self explained
  • "x,y" :  location, often it's the same thing written twice
  • p1 : no idea what this refers to. Tried to do some tests but could not see a change. In standard files it's a number between 5 and 150
  • p1 : no idea what this refers to. Tried to do some tests but could not see a change. In standard files it's a number with some that come very often : 14, 11, 30 ...
  • Town ID: Just a guess, but I dont know if it changes anything when a village claims a flock. Sometimes it's -1 so I guess it means no village claims the flock.

CREATE_NEW_ANIMAL("x,y", SpeciesID, FlockID, TownID, Size)
  • "x,y" : location of the animal
  • Species ID : a number from 0 to 15 (see down this list)
  • Flock ID : seems like an animal is always linked to a flock. Don't know what it changes, except maybe they tend to pack together
  • TownID : Same as the flock the animal belongs to
  • Size : A number from 1 to 50.  Until 8 it looks like a baby animal, then it's bigger

Animal IDs
  • 0 - Lion
  • 1 - Tigre
  • 2 - Wolf
  • 3 - Leopard
  • 4 - Sheep
  • 5 - Void - Crashes the game if you try it
  • 6 - Turtle
  • 7 - Void - Crashes the game if you try it
  • 8 - Cow
  • 9 - Horse
  • 10 - Pig
  • 11 - Crow
  • 12 - Colomb (not sure about english names of these birds)
  • 13 - Swallow
  • 14 - Pidgin
  • 15 - Seagul, albatros or something alike

Now I can see a strange behavior with flocks created manually... the animals will always go in line and follow the first one :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zIK_bJpRdi9XUKHlWQwbnLpK9L-w1H75/view?usp=sharing
Trying to relate it to the unknown parameters but no luck for now
Let me know if you know more about these :)

Besides I did some powershell scripts to generate forests, line of trees (cool to create symetrical stuff around a storage pit) , flocks, villagers... let me know if you're interested in it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zkks0N6sCVON7V3FKPRHxjcZU_U2qho3/view?usp=sharing

I've been wondering about what these values do as well. I had a hunch that these values would be explained in one of the map editors on this site, so I tried that route...

I downloaded BW Express Map Editor, and in there, in Data/Help/Set_Global_Land_Balance_List.txt I found this list of values

Factor Items List:

0 Town boredom modifier
    1 Impressive modifier
    2 Impressive spell modifier
    3 Missionary modifier
    4 Villager speedup
    5 Tree wood value
    6 Artifact speed
    7 Villager belief speed

Alongside that file is a ton of other files that explains all the other commands you might find in Black & White's map files :)

Found this in the downloads section :
https://www.bwfiles.com/files/file.php?id=218

Here are gathered 95% of infos I was looking for.
Hope it helps you :)

Back