Resource icon

Storholm 1.0.0

SkelApe

Elder
SkelApe submitted a new resource:

Storholm - Storholm is a land where snow falls and people live a harsh existence.

Storholm is a land where snow falls and people live a harsh existence. Such difficulties are contrasted with the majesty and grace of the land's mountains and lowlands, crags and fields. Will you bring civilisation and prosperity to a brutish land?

Features;
- A mighty and imposing Norse land with ice, snow, mountains, and sweeping plains.
- Many characteristically Norse towns and villages and two large cities featuring a new
innovation - the castle.
- Press keys 1-9 to play a range of...

Read more about this resource...

This is now one of my favourite mods! :D i like the idea of snowfall it's different since alot of Norse mods are the same this is a challenge :)

This land looks very COOL, I need your help I'm trying to make a video thing on my land when it first loads in ( I'm trying to get a video that will being the player from on side of the land to the other but it isn't working)
// this is the script so far

define script Intro

global Town0 = 0
global Town1 = 0
global Town2 = 0
global Town3 = 0
global Town4 = 0

// Run main script.
run script MainScript
begin script MainScript
start
Town0 = get town with id 0
Town1 = get town with id 1
Town2 = get town with id 2
Town3 = get town with id 3
Town4 = get town with id 4
enable game can be lost
run script Intro
disable load screen
set fade in time 1
increment tribute by 50000
wait until 1 !=1
end script MainScript

begin script Intro
start
if camera ready
set fade in time 5
start music "cut_scene_celtic_air"
begin cinema
move camera focus to {910, 380, 210} time 5
move camera position to {910, 370, 210} time 20
wait 10 seconds
stop music with fadetime 5
end cinema
end if
end script Intro

// what have I done wrong???

Firstly, Egerion, I already have a gorilla mod that works fine, and secondly, all of these posts could have gone to my email, but i'll try and help Willy. I'm not very good at scripting the camera, but what does the script run like presently? In order to help i need to know what's going wrong :)

okay, when the land is loading it loads normally for about 5 seconds. Then you will start to hear the ocean and some animals. Then you start hearing the music. After about 2 more seconds it loads you in. The top and bottom fade in and the tool bar opens. Then your able to play the land.

Ok what you might want to do is change where you put "run script Intro" to "run background script Intro". What happens when you run a script in another script, the game will ignore the rest of that script when the run command is written. When it is run as a background, the source script will continue running. it's quite tricky to understand, but give it a try. I've changed the script for you, try it out. Again, im not too good with the camera, but it might be a little better.

define script Intro

global Town0 = 0
global Town1 = 0
global Town2 = 0
global Town3 = 0
global Town4 = 0

// Run main script.
run script MainScript
begin script MainScript
start
  enable game can be lost
  disable load screen
  wait until 1 !=1

run background script Intro

end script MainScript

begin script Intro
start
  set fade in time 5
  begin cinema
      wait 20 seconds
      wait 4 seconds
    end cinema

end script Intro

Okay, Thanks, but I was just playing around withe the script ( I was making armies for the enemy when I got rid a loop I had in there and now the video happens over and over with a 10 second break in between) I will try it out

sorry to bother you again. It worked it now plays the video but it never ends it just goes back and forth to the 2 locations I told it to go to. Is there anything else I need to end the video?

Hmm that sounds odd. Try this;

define script Intro

global Town0 = 0
global Town1 = 0
global Town2 = 0
global Town3 = 0
global Town4 = 0

// Run main script.
run script MainScript
begin script MainScript
start
  enable game can be lost
  disable load screen
  wait until 1 !=1

run script Intro

end script MainScript

begin script Intro
start
  set fade in time 5
  begin cinema
  wait 20 seconds
  wait 4 seconds
  end cinema

stop script "Main"

end script Intro

See how this works. You could also try defining both scripts, it's what i tend to do :)

Thank you for all your help. And the changes you made did help a lot. But I am afraid that the real problem was with an "until" that was not in a loop and caused the main script to start looping and cause all the problems, my Father who does a lot with programing started showing me all kinds of new thing so I will be starting over with my land. By the way in the main script the "run Intro" work right when place before the wait until 1 !=1. Thank you so much for all you help.

I'm glad you found a solution! Yeah 'until' commands do have a tendency to cause problems with loops, but i couldn't see an 'until' in there :s Was this in another script? And i'm glad to help :)

Yes, the "until" was part of another script I add when I was having trouble with the video.

Does anyone reading this comment been able to get the scripts used on the real B&W 2 lands?

Sorry Willy, LH have never released them. Which is a shame, because they would have been invaluable to scripters.

Okay thanks. But why not the game is very old, would it really hurt if they released them?
(you don't need to answer the question)

I think I found out why they never released them.
I Think that the compiler was made after B&W 2 was made so the scripts for B&W 2 lands may not even exist.
There is one way we can get the scripts, if we make a decompiler, but that would that months (6-8 months) depending how long you work at it.

I have a few problems with loading "Storholm".....
I put all the files where they are supposed to go, (installing the files is a bit different on Mac, the folders/directories are hidden in a package called "Black & White 2 Loader") at first I had a little confusion with "map.txt" but I figured out which was supposed to go where.....
But, despite all that, when I create a new game account, then click "New Game" it loads for something under a minute, then I hear water, and the glowing dot on the tiles (which is the loader) starts moving really fast across, then across again,  then across again, then across again (you get the idea).  Nothing happens, so I press "alt - apple - esc" to force quit it.  I tried loading it a few more times but, the same thing just kept happening.  Help is appreciated!  :)  :upside  :p

I've also got a problem in this land - the villagers refuse to do anything the lazy blighters  :suspect

If they need food, buildings need constructing, or they need ore, whatever, they simply won't do anything, even if the only thing for them to do is go home to sleep at sleepsie time. I have modded the lighting in the land but I don't think that would affect the villager behaviour at all would it?

Hey AppleApe, your problem relates to the Storholm.chl file, which contains the scripts for the map. If these don't run, the game doesn't know it has to disable the loading screen. In short, i don't think you've installed the Storholm.chl file properly. I do it all the time, it's really annoying :p

El Aleco, i've played the map a few times and noticed that problem. I haven't seen it on any other map i've made, so i'm not sure what has caused it. I'd like a working city too! I think it's largely a case of doing everything yourself! I might look in to it and see if i can change things.

Back