Something wrong with creature messages?

Ampersand

Yeah...  No matter what help settings I've used, the only way to get what my creature is thinking to display seems to be hovering my hand over him, but I remember and have been told that just using the shortcut to follow the creature should display that.  And it often reminds me that "slapping or stroking your creature determines such and such," "Hold your hand over your creature to find out what he's thinking" and so on.  Another thing that may or may not be anything solvable is that clicking on info signs in a new skirmish game also always causes the "good conscience" to remind me that "You can scroll through some of the info signs to read all the text."  It doesn't seem like changing the help options ever does anything to any of these, except that turning off creature help removes the mechanics reminders as well as info about what my creature is thinking.

On Level 1, the creature mind tips don't work.  I think it's because the full AI for creatures is kinda held back in Level 1 so you can work more on learning the game.  Try a skirmish map and see if there's a difference.

For anyone that tries to help, there is more on this issue in this topic by Ampersand: http://www.bwfiles.com/boards/index.php?topic=5704.msg48524;topicseen#msg48524

As I said, I can't play, so I hope someone else can help. :cool:

Okay...  I tried installing B&W on a different machine running Windows XP, patched it to 1.10 and then 1.20, and then added the football and villager banter bits.  I also didn't change any of the controls from the defaults, suspecting that maybe one of the keys was a hardcoded shortcut to change something about creature messages.  Same issue as on the main install.  :no

I don't suppose that it's a known issue that one of the patches or addons disables the ability to read creature thoughts just by hitting C or whatever key to follow the creature around?

This is... Truly odd. It didn't work on a different machine? Perhaps it's your CD that's corrupted, then?

I don't know, it seems like if there was it wouldn't be able to install...  Any ideas which file might control that bit?

Nope, none. It should be able to install if the installation files aren't corrupt, though, and no file is completely missing. Just a guess, though, look in "Data" or "Scripts" for something called "Help" or "CreatureHelp" or something along those lines, in case it is an installed file (as I suspect it may be copied from the disc during installation, hence the problem), or through the files on the disc. Hope that helps.

You might try going into your Lionhead folder and finding "Preferences Data".
Then take that to recycle bin or trash.
Then try and start B&W or CI.
This only works if anything is in the trash that can't run/work.
When you start B&W or CI then it should create a new "Preferences Data".
Although until you restart the game it may be huge!
The worst case is that it would, well, crash.  :laugh2
I don't know how big a game crashing on XP would be, but it's not terrible on OS-10. 
Meaning it doesn't crash the machine.
And beware this is from a book all about Snow Leopard.  :laugh2
That's my best idea/advice.  :)
I'll be going now.  :laugh2

Well, looking around the files...  The villager banter addon does appear to make some changes to the infoscript files, so it might be that that's the issue.  Unfortunately, I don't think I can actually uninstall that...  I'll try installing B&W again without adding the villager banter addon later and see what happens...

Update:  Yeah...  Unpatched, straight off the CD install and I still don't get to know what my creature is thinking until my hand is over him...  :no

Back