[SOLVED]Game is not starting and no errors are given.

Vathorst

So I have played black and white a lot, I got it to work with compatibility mode, which apparently isn't needed. The game worked fine, apart from the crashes on the last map but those were always there. Last time I played was around July or august 2015, the game started completely normal, nothing wrong about anything. Now I wanted to play again but runblack.exe doesn't do anything, as in I click runblack.exe (or shortcut) and then I get promted for administrative permission by user account control, I accept that and then... nothing. The process show up for a small amount of time in Task managar, but disappears again after 10 seconds or so. If somebody knows what this is, why it happened so suddenly, please let me know. I really want to play the game again and I can't find any recent updates that may have interfered with runblack.exe. I have also found out that it doesn't matter if the CD is in or not, it doesn't even check if there is a CD. It just asks for permission, does magic, then closes.

EDIT: It seems there is something wrong with games that need permission, I got the same problem when trying to play a different game, also old, also requiring permissions. This is weird, because I have now disabled UAC and still nothing happens. I can't search for this problem because you know, searching "Games not starting even though you give them administrative permissions" will result in dozens of "How to run a program as adminastrator" or stuff like that. If you don't know the solution but do know how I could search something as specific as this up, I would love to hear suggestions.

TLDR: My game doesn't start, with or without CD although it Worked before.

So the reason it wasn't starting was because of windows update screwing things up, again.
Thanks to beatlesblondie over at the Mod The Sims forums for finding the solution.
(This worked for sims 1, black and white had the exact same problem, and it required the same fix.)

The solution is as followed, remove update KB3086255 and it should work.
Go to control panel, windows update, view update history, click installed updates at the top of tab. there you should be able to remove update KB3086255.
Restart your computer and everything works fine again! :D
It is recomended that you block the update, else windows will be like "Oh new update, install!"
Go to Control panel, windows update, check for updates and then disable the install of update KB3086255.

HUGE thanks to beatlesblondie over at the Mod The Sims forums. Really, without people like him/her, who knows what kind of horrible errors there would be unsolved?

Glad to see you found a solution! Here's the description for that update from Microsoft's site:

Microsoft said:
In addition to the changes that are listed for the vulnerabilities that are described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS15-097, this security bulletin addresses a defense-in-depth update for the secdrv.sys driver, a third-party driver. The update turns off the service for the secdrv.sys driver. This may affect the ability to run some older games.

So it appears it's a known issue, unfortunately with some kind of vulnerability. At least you got your game working, though.

Back